Some Pruning Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indo Warren G

Reaction score
So this is my first grow and I have a pretty ghetto rig going. If I had a camera cable I'd post pics but I'll explain it.

I have two shop florecent fixtures with 2x 40w daylight bulbs in them and a metal reflector that I bent open wider. The closet I'm using is 2 1/2'Wx5'Hx5'L so what I have are 4 plants in 12" pots that are in a line roughly spaced to meet needs. And I have the two shop lights on 12" pot containers tilted up underneath the four plants of both sides. Then what I have is a pole with 3 hanging lamps with 2x 120w plant bulbs and a 75w one evenly spaced out amoungst the four plants. I drew a paint picture lol So far my babies are 5 weeks into flowering and about 2' tall and are all being just slightly bent and tied down with some twine. They got the whole "S" shape going. I'm not sure of the strain but it seems to be pretty decent. I didn't bother buying seeds seeing as how this was kind of a test run to see how to fix problems and what not. I intend on buying a 250w HPS and some headie seeds from here :D But that's for another time.

So now, my real question is since my lights aren't too powerful I was wondering if I should clip back some lower fan leaves, or any other leaves, that are in the way of the light? And there are also some smaller and lower shoots that don't get any light and have barely any buds forming on them. Can I just snip them off? Will that divert energy towards the buds that are already taking off?

Thanks for the input guys. I hope to be able to get some pics up soon of my girls :hubba:

setup.jpg

another pruning question, hahahah, we get a new one of these at least once a month, so the info is already on here. Ill help you out while im here though, NOOOOO DOOOOOO NOOOOTTTTT CUUUUT LEAVEESSS, and your in flowering so you cant prune anyways.... nothing can be done once in flowering unless you dont mind the loosing quality that stress causes in flower.

ive heard to early cutting or taking to much off can also turn them hermie ewwwwwwwwww

Pruning back branches is one thing, and can be beneficial if your light will not penetrate through to light the lower branches. I grow with 2-1000w HPS's and I still usually prune the lower branches to improve air flow underneath the plant.

BUT you never want to trim SUN LEAVEs, these are your plants solar generators. Even when I trim the lower branches I always keep the associated fan leaves, when they are ready to fall off they will do just that.

Latest posts

Back