Sorry, another 'yellow leaves' one

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoko

Ignored Member
Reaction score
Ok, am new to all of this before we go any further.

I've used the search facility, but no joy to my specific, plus always better to post a pic ... :)

2nd attempt, so far so good! ... but woke to this earlier ... :eek:

One of me babies isn't opening enough (compared to the other) and the little round leaves (sorry, don't know proper title) are looking quite yellow ... :confused:

It's about 13 days old, and only been fed water till now.

Time for something else I wonder? ... :confused:

040320091009.jpg

the little round leaves are just stored with what the plant needs to begin growing. They will yellow and fall off. Don't remove them as you can do more harm than good. Also after 2-3 weeks nutes are ok at small doses. That little one right there may just be a slow starter,but give it love and it may be your favorite.

Those little leaves are called cotyledons. Are they the only ones that look bad I can't tell from the pic. They are supposed to die off. You need to post more about your conditions. What is your temps, rh, ph, ph runoff, what kind of dirt is that(prenuted or not). How many plants do you have and is this happening to more than one plant? What kind of light are you using, how close is it to the plant, what size is your grow room?

If all the new growth looks fine and it's only those two little leaves turning yellow I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your plant does look like it's stretching a little though.

Ok good to hear the cotyledons are almost meant to fall off ... :)

Ok here we go:

What is your temps - Outside temps currently high 20's low 30's (34C today). Inside a lot hotter I'd guess, but just checked and 32C ... :confused:

rh - don't know what this is

ph - Just checked and between 6 and 7

ph runoff - don't know what this is

what kind of dirt is that(prenuted or not) - General potting mix

How many plants do you have and is this happening to more than one plant? - 2 plants. The other to me looks healthy (to me is the untrained eye)

What kind of light are you using, how close is it to the plant - 2 x 28w flouro's. One above each plant, and tip of bulb is roughly 3 inches from the highest part of the plant.

We originally planned to grow outside, but just into spring here ... not enough hours of light.

what size is your grow room? - 4 foot x 18 inches ... a wardrobe basically!

Thanks

rh is relative humidity... ph runoff is the pH of the water runoff from after you water your plants...

i know nothing about soil, so i cant help you there...

you will DEFINATELY need more light. do you have a budget of any sort?? how much can you spend realistically?

spring is good... nothing wrong with spring anyway...i would plant in a month or so and veg all spring and summer and be ready later in the year... actually, you COULD just grow them indoors for a bit or until they root and then transplant them outside... tey get bigger outside... hehe

curiouscat420 said:
rh is relative humidity... ph runoff is the pH of the water runoff from after you water your plants...

i know nothing about soil, so i cant help you there...

you will DEFINATELY need more light. do you have a budget of any sort?? how much can you spend realistically?

spring is good... nothing wrong with spring anyway...i would plant in a month or so and veg all spring and summer and be ready later in the year... actually, you COULD just grow them indoors for a bit or until they root and then transplant them outside... tey get bigger outside... hehe
Relative humidity, well it can be 90+% here which I'd guess isn't good.

I'll check the ph runoff next time I water em. I haven't checked it before.

That's both of us that know nothing about soil, but hopefully it's ok.

On the light front. Well original plan was to grow them outdoors, but with spring here we're only getting just over 12 hours of daylight at the mo. Original plan as I say was outdoors, and then inside to 'top up' till 18 hours or so.

The wind blew one of them over, and we've had leaves eaten by something or other, so for now they've moved indoors, and are currently under these flouro's 24/7.

In 3 weeks here we'll have 12 hours of daylight so would like to get them outside then. Hopefully they'll be bigger and STRONGER!

well you will need a lot more light... search the forum for lighting questions and see how many lumens per sq feet you need. this is VERY important, if not the MOST important part of the process... so, i would recommend doing thast asap before your girls show signs of little light... it can happen quick, but you odnt have to spend a lot, just have to get the right kind of lights...

:yeahthat:

light light light.
research the different kinds of lights, spectrums of light and such.
you need alot more light brother

Ok to update.

I don't think things are looking too good for her now ... :(

The leaves have gone brown and are curling up. But also the main leaves are going yellow.

On the plus side, she can stand almost on her own (fell over a week ago and has needed extra supporting till now), so she MUST be still growing ... :eek: ... I dunno ... :confused:

The towel is in hand ... should I throw it yet?

Thanks

yellow1.jpg

yellow2.jpg

yellow3.jpg

JBonez said:
no, feed it. your plant is eating itself. got nutes?
Soil has nutes, but it's had a hard life.

First, it fell over after a day in the sun. then it got put too close to a flouro and burnt the tip of one of the edges ... :eek:

Since then it's fallen over, stood on it's own, and today was back on it's side.

I've put it vertical again, along with some soil to keep upright, but I reckon i'm wasting me time.

you should look at the new growth as a positive thing! your plant is still alive!! :D :D

how much research have you done as far as soil, light, air circulation, humidity and nutrients?

this is essential knowledge to growing. Soil is a really difficult way to grow in my opinion, it is a master growers technique... if you want to grow cheap and easily, check out some of the DWC threads and easy hydro setups... really cheap, easy and effective...

but dude, seriously, I can tell you havent done enough reasearch, not a bad thing, but just not enough. :rolleyes: we have all been at the early styages of growing the first time, very exciting and fun... but patience is a virtue... you can grow a plant very easily, yes, but the work you put into your plant you will get back from your plant ;)

i would recommend doing basic searches on each of these 5 things and you will have answered most of your questions yourself...

curiouscat420 said:
you should look at the new growth as a positive thing! your plant is still alive!! :D :D

how much research have you done as far as soil, light, air circulation, humidity and nutrients?

this is essential knowledge to growing. Soil is a really difficult way to grow in my opinion, it is a master growers technique... if you want to grow cheap and easily, check out some of the DWC threads and easy hydro setups... really cheap, easy and effective...

but dude, seriously, I can tell you havent done enough reasearch, not a bad thing, but just not enough. :rolleyes: we have all been at the early styages of growing the first time, very exciting and fun... but patience is a virtue... you can grow a plant very easily, yes, but the work you put into your plant you will get back from your plant ;)

i would recommend doing basic searches on each of these 5 things and you will have answered most of your questions yourself...
Roger that! ... :)

I found that doing the searches led to more and more questions, which led to me to more and more answers which gave me my green thumb. :D

curiouscat420 said:
I found that doing the searches led to more and more questions, which led to me to more and more answers which gave me my green thumb. :D
Yeah I'm not afraid to ask questions, and now have my grow journal so will ask them in there ... :)

Latest posts

Back