Stephen King: Maine Marijuana Should Be A Cottage Industry, Just Like Potatoes And Lo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
From civilized.life

Stephen King: Maine Marijuana Should Be A Cottage Industry, Just Like Potatoes And Lobster

shutterstock-9118555.jpg

Maine's 2016 ballot initiative to legalize recreational marijuana use could be a dream come true for Stephen King. The horror writer - who turned 69 this week - endorsed cannabis legalization back in 1981, when he told High Times that marijuana could help save Maine's struggling economy.
"I think that marijuana should not only be legal, I think it should be a cottage industry," he said. "It would be wonderful for the state of Maine....What we've got up there are lobsters, potatoes, and a lot of poor people. My wife says, and I agree with her, that what would be really great for Maine would be to legalize dope completely and set up dope stores the way that there are state-run liquor stores."
And he had a suggestion for the state's official strain. "You could get your Acapulco Gold or your whatever it happened to be [at the dispensary] -- your Augusta Gold or your Bangor Gold. And people would come from all the other states to buy it, and there could be a state tax on it. Then everybody in Maine could have a Cadillac."

But it doesn't seem like King is a cannabis consumer himself - not while he's working, at least. King thinks the connection between creativity and cannabis is a myth.

"The idea that the creative endeavor and mind-altering substances are entwined is one of the great pop-intellectual myths of our time," King wrote in his 2010 memoir. "Any claims that the drugs and alcohol are necessary to dull a finer sensibility are just the usual self-serving bullsh*t."

So that means he can't blame cannabis for the story he wrote about Jordy Verrill, a man who turns into a weed. Check out King playing Verrill in this scene from the anthology movie Creepshow (1982).

https://www.civilized.life/articles/stephen-king-maine-cottage-industry/

Latest posts

Back