Strange after-effects of Marijuana

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mUnky888

Reaction score
Hey,

Now I smoked some pot for the first time about 30 hours ago. It was in a foreign and uncomfortable set/setting at the time, so it was a pretty bad trip. Also, it was very high quality weed and I had about ~2 cones.

30 hours later I'm still feeling the effects of the drug... Although not as bad as when I was high (if you can call it that), I'm still having difficulty maintaining concentration and accessing short term memory, my heart rate has been up ever since and yesterday I was feeling powerful tremors, anxiety and panic attacks... not to mention a general feeling of light-headedness.

So, should I be worried? Or will the drug just pass through my system eventually... I think if I havent improved in a few days i'll see a councillor and investigate my options.

Also, would anyone know of any methods for controlling or managing some of these side effects? I'd like to sleep it off but I find it hard to sleep. I'll be meeting up with a friend soon and hopefully that support will calm me down a bit :)

I'd really appreciate the help, thanks :D

The effects would ware in a day or two..or three.lol.You..should be fine.I remember having a very similar feeling, minus tremors and panic attacks :confused2: :stoned:

ok so by wht i can tell....theres a couple of things. either ur pretty light wieght or u smoked some kill and got sooo high its still there.

the best way to lessen the effects is basically to do it more =D

hahahahaha

no but for real doing it more will get u use to the effects and u wont have such a bad trip next time...

You may just be prone to panic attacks. Some people are. I would suggest that you leave it alone for awhile and next time you smoke weed, just smoke a single toke. See where that takes you and relax.

If you're prone to panic attacks, MJ is one of the worst things you can do.

Control is what makes panic attacks go away. MJ lessens your control. Since you have no history with MJ, the feelings of being out of control would be much more intense than with someone familiar with it's effects.

Calm down and relax. MJ has no long lasting effects. After 24 hours, anything you're still feeling is from your anxiety, not the weed.

Next time, don't jump into new water without some moderation. Just stick a toe in first.

Good luck to you.

Stoney Bud, when you say 'MJ lessens your control', is that a known fact, as is 'alcohol lessens your motor control'?

Thanks for the tips, I do feel a bit better now, but it's going to take a day or two longer before I'm normal again ><

The thing that helped most was just hanging around friends and just talking or doing something engaging... and of course time is a healer : P

I'm surprised that despite all the information on the net, these kinds of side effects are not mentioned, I don't recall reading anything about a 2-3 day hangover and I've known a few people who have gone through a similar thing...

A couple of side notes to add: Firstly, I have a family history of mental illness (sister and cousin have issues) and secondly, according to some friends of mine, the MJ we got is incredibly powerful... it seems I went through a bit of a baptism by fire, although I don't think i'll smoke again, for my own sake.

Bubby said:
Stoney Bud, when you say 'MJ lessens your control', is that a known fact, as is 'alcohol lessens your motor control'?
Anything that inhibits full awareness, lessens full control. MJ wouldn't be very popular if it didn't do just that. The "buzz" of the psychoactive action of the marijuana is the goal of using it. That same psychoactive action alters perception in degrees that are dependant upon the amount of thc ingested. The more that is ingested, the more alteration to "normal" perception. That's why it's just not a very smart thing to fly a plane or drive a train or vehicle or perform brain surgery while high on weed. It's really that easy.

Yes, I would say that it is a "known fact" that marijuana lessens control of the mind.

i agree that MJ effects your abillity to function 100%,but as far as bringing on "panic attacks" i don`t think so.
i myself suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, i need MJ to get me through them-never mind bringing them on!lol.:stoned:

shuggy4105 said:
i agree that MJ effects your ability to function 100%,but as far as bringing on "panic attacks" i don`t think so.
i myself suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, i need MJ to get me through them-never mind bringing them on!lol.:stoned:
It's well documented.

In quite a lot of people, marijuana actually does cause anxiety and panic attacks.

Nothing about that is in any doubt. Do a Google on "panic attacks marijuana".

Obviously, you aren't one of the people if you use it to alleviate panic attacks.

well, thanx for streightening that out for me there stoney,but i used to get paranoid, anxious and hyperventilate.but after continuing tokin` for a further six months,it stopped:confused2: .

Thanks alot for the words of reassurance, I'm learning to control the anxiety and generally the panic has stopped.

I realise now basically what's happened. All my life a central focus has been the control over my own mind... I draw cartoons as a hobby and am currently studying for a career in physics/chem, I'm also very introverted. The MJ basically made me feel as though all the pillars of control in my mind had been destroyed and that I'd never be able to rebuild them. After the effects of the MJ and the strange hangover finished I was left with the feeling of disconnectedness, which now I find is caused solely by my anxiety. (We have nothing to fear but fear itself - so very true)

I have to say that what you said, Stoney Bud (and Syke too :)), was pivotal in recovery... I kind've broke down after my initial post and reading your post gave me the reassurance I needed to go on (I was almost suicidal).

The support from friends and generally the return to normal, busy life is a great help. Morning and night-time is still difficult but caffeine helps me re-focus.

Those who are having difficulty similar to my own, I will gladly chat too :)

They say no pain, no gain - it's true it seems... I think this experience will stay with me for a long time - it's taught me alot about my own mind and what keeps me ticking... I think it will also help me to understand and empathise with my schizophrenic sister.

Thanks for the help :D

My shrink told me one time that I was schizophrenic.

I laughed right in his face and told him "I am not! And neither am I"

Hahahahahaa, let's lighten it up folks. It's party time!

Like I said, if several really big tokes off some really good weed hurt ya, you might try it with just a single, tiny toke and some really good atmosphere.

If after that, you still don't like the high, then just don't use it.

It is, after all, supposed to be fun.

Suicidal? Wow good to see knowledge saves the day again!

Yea man some peeps have adverse reactions to stuff... like me... too much citrus will destroy me lol. And clowns, a gang of clowns can make me hide in the forest for days. I hate clowns.

well.. U should go read some of the threads about ppls first times smoking.. most everyone i know who smoked for the first time ether didnt feal anything or got really stoned and kinda freakd out.. prolly just cuz your not ust to it... i know i did the first time i smoked.. thought i was gonna die.. Smoking with ppl that you are not extreamly comfortable around can **** bad... alot of ppl get paranoid and shy.. personaly i dont like smoking with ppl i dont know because once im stoned i really dont want to be around them anymore... but i will tell U this... its like drinking beer.. at first U cant stand the taist of beer.. but the more you keep drinking.. the more you like it.. then it gets to the point where you open a beer.. take a gulp and say AHHHHHH thats good... its tha same with weed... the first few times U do it you get blisterd.. after you do it more and more you get ust to how it makes you feal and you can control your high alot more.. the thing where you feal your heart beating and stuff like that goes away... Next time U smoke try smoken with ppl who are your friends... where you will be comfortable..

oh and also when you do it alot more... the loss of short term memory goes away... the loss of short term memory goes away... and your loss of short term memory goes away

lmao, i`d second that! especially the short...........what was it you said again?:48: :bong2: :clap:
classic man,pure classic.
it`s all about the company you keep.

Some friends of mine had some of the same weed and didnt have the same problems I did. It seems I was just suffering from panic attacks - I'd never had panic attacks before in my life and that... compounded them. That said, they've almost totally gone now :D

I guess I'd say that when I smoke weed, the effects make me panic - which in turn scares me, and makes me panic more... pretty simple now I see...

They've definately had laced weed before though - and they had crazy hallucinations - but not this time, this weed was (relatively) pure.

what you're talking about is normal. I expierienced some of those things the first time i burned. Normally the first time you burn you dont get high. ( well for most people at least ). You better have not smoked purple for your first time or you'd not know who you are or where you lived. lol.

Happy burning :smoke1:

smoke on dude, it was the same for me when i started toking "full-time", as you already know. Went away after around 6 months.
any problems you come across, feel free to ask friend.:) :fly: :48: :fly: :stoned:

the first time i smoked it was some killer stuff smoked a fat joint and it felt like i had waves crashing on my back for about 4 hrs smoked right before i went to school when i got to class my teacher looked at me and his eyes got real big like a really surprized look, talk about freaking out for a few seconds.
turns out i had in school suspension that day and didn't now about it

Latest posts

Back