Stunted growth (pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samandwendy

Reaction score
We are new to the growing scene and are trying to grow our first plant. This is some bag seed of northern lights (I think) that we got from a friend.
We started it under some cfl's (around 1600 lumens) and after I didn't see much growth in a few days, bumped it up to 3200. I still didn't see too much growth going on in the next week.
Yesterday, I went out and doubled the lights to around 6300 using cfl's.
I water it when it needs it, careful not to over water, I keep a fan running on it every so often, and I planted it in regular potting soil. Not sure of the ph balance in the soil. I was hoping to not have to worry about that until I saw significant growth and could transplant into a bigger pot. When that time came, I was going to transplant, give it some nutes, and maybe change the soil.
I've been growing this plant for about 2.5 weeks and this is the biggest it's gotten. Is it stunted? Am I doing something wrong? Any help/input would be appreciated.

plant1_opt (2).jpg

plant_opt (2).jpg

2.5 weeks is a little long, but the plant doesnt look unhealthy.. What is the temp of the grow area?

Without knowing what the strain is its hard to tell, some strains take longer to grow thier first sets of leaves than others.. The plant looks healthy so just keep doing what your doing and be patient...

Thanks. The temp sits around 65-70 throughout the day and night. It sits in an upstairs closet, so I didn't think temp would be an issue.
I'm not sure of the strain as well.
I have grown some seedlings in the past and have never seen it take this long for at least 4 sets of leaves to form.
I bumped up the lighting yesterday, so hopefully within the next couple of days, I'll see some changes.

The soil looks real wet.
Let it dry and remember its good for the roots to " search " for water and grow, don't overwater.
Wait til you see the leaves look like there beginning to wilt, then water but don't soak.

You should also start thinking about buying a PH meter to PH the water you feed. You stated your planning to feed nutes, this will be a waste if the ph is too high or low. Ph for soil should be 6.5

Good luck and peace.................

I hve a Pakistan Ryder that is doing the same thing...it was very hard to germ and then when it poked its head out from the soil it did not want to grow bigger...gve it some time and follow the advice that was posted...

Here is a link for a good PH meter for a good price>>>>hxxp://www.eseasongear.com/ph600.html

change the xx to tt

2 1/2 weeks since it sprouted? That is slow growing for sure. Did you germ in that pot or transplant after it cracked?

There doesn't seem to be any stretch so I would guess your lighting is ok for now. It must be as Hamster Lewis said- a slow starting strain.

I think I will look into getting a PH tester to see if that is the problem.
I germinated the seed before I put it in the pot. The growth seemed to be going steady for about a week, then all of sudden seemed to stop.

samandwendy said:
I think I will look into getting a PH tester to see if that is the problem.
I germinated the seed before I put it in the pot. The growth seemed to be going steady for about a week, then all of sudden seemed to stop.

At this stage of the game, I doubt ph is affecting the growth and adding nutes as this point may burn / stunt / or kill it. I just posted a thread about Miracle Gro soil and how the nutes in it are affecting my plants. My plants are at the same age as yours. Take a look:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45972

Your plant looks healthy, just small. I'd give it a few more days before trying anything new IMHO.

Samandwendy;

Here are 3 photos of 3 different strains each germinated the SAME time !

The White Widow on the left looks stunted while the Northern Lights and the Road Runner look like they are older, there not, just different strains.
I germinated, planted and water all the same.

Also you don't need nutes for the 1st 2-3 weeks as stated above and PH is not why your plant is that size, i only suggested you get a PH meter for when you do need to feed nutes, in week 3 through flowering.

It's true your soil looks chunky. next time try Pro-Mix BX and 30% Perlite, you can find these at almost any garden store. Promix has NO nutes in it like FFOF and others and is cheaper.
The roots need room to grow. Chunky hard soil will make this harder for the plant. Promix is NOT soil, its a growing " medium ".

Hope this helps.................just be patient and read up here.

( double click the pic to blow it up for a closer look )

Peace..........................

I've recently discovered that the moisture meter I was using wasn't really reliable at all. As a result, I've been over-watering my seedlings and their growth was stunted. I let them dry out to the point of wilting, and then watered again. They're doing fine now.

Also, some soils are hot ( lot's of nitrogen), and as a result the seeds will poke through the surface and then stop growing. It's just a guess regarding the soil being too hot and sprouts that start growing and then stop, but I suspect it has been a problem for me in the past.

However, over-watering might very well be the culprit.

moisture meters are a waste of time IMO.
WATER until it starts to come out the bottom and dont water again until the top 2 inchs are dry.
the pots you have are crap, i have experienced slow groth in them before myself, ofcourse i cannot prove that, does that pot have a drainage hole in bottom, if not chuck it, you need drainage holes.

all that was said under the impression they are clay pots,on second look im not sure they are clay, if they arent ignore me.us

mrkingford said:
Samandwendy;

Here are 3 photos of 3 different strains each germinated the SAME time !

The White Widow on the left looks stunted while the Northern Lights and the Road Runner look like they are older, there not, just different strains.
I germinated, planted and water all the same.

Also you don't need nutes for the 1st 2-3 weeks as stated above and PH is not why your plant is that size, i only suggested you get a PH meter for when you do need to feed nutes, in week 3 through flowering.

It's true your soil looks chunky. next time try Pro-Mix BX and 30% Perlite, you can find these at almost any garden store. Promix has NO nutes in it like FFOF and others and is cheaper.
The roots need room to grow. Chunky hard soil will make this harder for the plant. Promix is NOT soil, its a growing " medium ".

Hope this helps.................just be patient and read up here.

( double click the pic to blow it up for a closer look )

Peace..........................

Where do I find these pictures?

dman1234 said:
moisture meters are a waste of time IMO.
WATER until it starts to come out the bottom and dont water again until the top 2 inchs are dry.
the pots you have are crap, i have experienced slow groth in them before myself, ofcourse i cannot prove that, does that pot have a drainage hole in bottom, if not chuck it, you need drainage holes.

The pots do have drainage holes at the bottom. Do you think if I transplanted to a bigger pot now, that might help?

BBFan said:
At this stage of the game, I doubt ph is affecting the growth and adding nutes as this point may burn / stunt / or kill it. I just posted a thread about Miracle Gro soil and how the nutes in it are affecting my plants. My plants are at the same age as yours. Take a look:
\

Your plant looks healthy, just small. I'd give it a few more days before trying anything new IMHO.
lets say i transplanted to a bigger pot and changed the soil in the new pot. How bad would that affect the outcome of the plant? I've read about tranplanting to new soil and having to do stuff to the roots when totally changing out the soil and it seems like a difficult process.
I plan on finding some fox farm ocean soil. I've heard many good things about it. would i have to remove all the soil from my plant before using the new soil or can I just use the small amount of soil used previously and put it in the new?

Growdude said:
Does it get a fresh air supply?

for the most part they do, I try to keep the closet door cracked a little and have the fan running sometimes to circulate the air.

it looks like ur over watering and for 2 .5 weeks thats xtreamly small. are u sure its not 2 weeks after planting

it looks like ur over watering and for 2 .5 weeks thats xtreamly small. are u sure its not 2 weeks after planting also try addin more light

In my opinion, you'll need an upgraded light system for sure. CFLs are just too weak to be effective.

It will grow slowly. You will notice some growth. As time goes on, this little plant will become very lanky as it stretches out.

Here's a tip:
Pick up the pot every timme you check it. Feel how heavy it is. When it's newly watered, it's heavy. But when it needs water, it will be pretty darn light. ;)

good luck!
destroyer

Get some good lights nice and close to it and it will take off. It's not stunted.

Latest posts

Back