Surgeon General suggests reclassifying marijuana to expand research

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
From SFGate
Surgeon General suggests reclassifying marijuana to expand research
1518693181.jpg

By Oscar Pascual on January 7, 2019 at 4:11 PM

America’s top health official believes that current restrictions on cannabis should be reconsidered.

Surgeon General Jerome Adams spoke about the federal government’s drug classification system last month at a law enforcement conference at Harvard University, reports CTV News.

“We need to look at our health laws, rules and regulations, and that includes the scheduling system. I’ll take it somewhere else – marijuana,” Adams said. “We need to look at the way we schedule different medications across the board. One of the concerns I have with marijuana is the difficulty folks have to do research on it because of the scheduling system.”

The current system classifies cannabis as a Schedule I substance with no medical value and a high potential for abuse, and is considered similar to hard drugs such as heroin, LSD and ecstasy.

“We have to look at how we can continue to change the scheduling system so that it promotes safety, so that it promotes health for all, and so that it doesn’t inhibit research, doesn’t inhibit exploration of potential options for folks,” Adams added.

Despite the DEA’s current classification of marijuana, their 2017 resource guide admits that “no deaths from overdose of marijuana have been reported.”

“The relevance of the Surgeon General’s call to reschedule cannabis cannot be understated,” says Dr. Mark Rosenfeld, CEO of ANANDA Scientific, to Forbes. “The chemistry found only in cannabis plants can provide relief across an incredible array of adverse health states. It does this with minimal side effects and with the prospect of being eminently cost-effective in its use.”

https://blog.sfgate.com/smellthetru...s-reclassifying-marijuana-to-expand-research/
Smell The Truth is one of the internet’s most popular destinations for cannabis-related news and culture. This blog is not written or edited by SFGate or the San Francisco Chronicle. The authors are solely responsible for the content.

Latest posts

Back