Tap water and Vinegar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kriist

Reaction score
Just a quick question, hopefully someone can help me out. :confused:

The area I live in has horribly hard water, but if I test the PH of the water straight out of the tap it always tests between 6.2 - 6.8. I was using the water straight from the tap in my 5gallon bucket and letting it sit over night with an aquarium bubbler running to evaporate the chloring, but 24hrs after opening the lid to evaporate chlorine I tested the PH and it was off the charts... maybe 9+.

My question is, can I use Vinegar in my watering bucket to lower the PH to 6.5 or so and use that to water the plants without any harmful effects to the plant? I am growing is Soil btw. :rolleyes:

Kriist said:
Just a quick question, hopefully someone can help me out. :confused:

The area I live in has horribly hard water, but if I test the PH of the water straight out of the tap it always tests between 6.2 - 6.8. I was using the water straight from the tap in my 5gallon bucket and letting it sit over night with an aquarium bubbler running to evaporate the chloring, but 24hrs after opening the lid to evaporate chlorine I tested the PH and it was off the charts... maybe 9+.

My question is, can I use Vinegar in my watering bucket to lower the PH to 6.5 or so and use that to water the plants without any harmful effects to the plant? I am growing is Soil btw. :rolleyes:
\
I say dont use it at all, if you must they do sell hard water nutes or consider this portable RO unit for $50.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/Portable-4st-50...Kitchen_Appliances_US?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

I know its $70.00 price musta went up, but still far cheaper than built in types and this works great for filling 5 gal jugs.

dont use vinegar bro i use vinegar to get rid of weeds in my yard just my .02

Do whst growdude says: hard water nutes(i have used and they are very effective) or the R.O. system(i also purchased one of them). All home remedys are a disaster, I know this first hand. Good Luck

Thanks for all the info, you have definately persuaded me to go ahead and purchase the R.O. machine. I have been considering buying for a while now, just wanted to see if any of the alternatives were as good.

Spent about $2,000 on my setup so far, and got about 15 3week old plants going atm, so was hoping for a quick alternative until I can get a R.O. System. Would it be wise to just use purified drinking water (The 5gal. jugs for the water coolers) until I recieve my R.O. system?

Again thanks for any info...

IMO the money you spend for bottle water to grow with, would be more than a cheap RO. I made a still to use distilled water. It made a big difference in my ladies.

A gallon of distilled water costs me 80 cents... I just pkup a cpl gallons every other week at Walmart...

Hamster Lewis said:
A gallon of distilled water costs me 80 cents... I just pkup a cpl gallons every other week at Walmart...

Thats great for real small grows but ive got a closet and my babies drink/rez change 20 gal a week or $192.00 for a 12 week grow @ .80 gal.

Latest posts

Back