the laws of growing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babymonkey

Reaction score
hi all
just a quick paranoid question ,lol

when growing in a bedroom,garage etc.. ive heard that police helicopters can detect the rays of the lights people use ,is this true ??

thanks

They can detect the heat from your lights, but most growers get busted for talking to much and stealing electricity.IMO

:yeahthat:
They can use Infrared to detect the heat but they don't have X-ray vision... at least not that I know of.. good insulation and ventilation would be key.

heard of these for decades..
i always say, do you really think they fly around hoping to find hot spots that MAY be grow ops?
i don't.. not as a first resort anyway. if you've given them no reason to think you may be growing, i wouldn't worry ;)
(not saying they don't exist. i just don't think they fly around randomly hoping to find a needle in a heystack)

I always heard this also.

My questions is, how the hell would they know what is what with just a signature heat source? For example my grow is in my basement, the room itself is 71 degrees about, hardly much hotter then upstairs at 69 degrees. The HVAC furnace has to get hotter then that not to mention the dryer/washing machine/shower/hot water heaters/grill/oven/computer tower (which is F' HOT!). It just seems totally inapplicable to people with one-two light and is more relevant to people with dozens or lights being used in an unoccupied grow building? I think people give cops waaaaaay too much credit.

In my mind the way people get caught is as follows:

1) Sell it
2) Smell it (others smell it)
3) Show it (to others, friends)
4) Steal it (electricity)
5) Tell it (about it)
6) Fire (poor DIY electrical wiring, DIY ballast type stuff, too many extension cables, overloaded sockets per rated amperage)

I agree with Tact and pc...I think your biggest worry is your mouth...it is very easy to get loose lips at a party with friends...I mean it is only natural to want to show off your hard work or at least talk about it...that is where this wonderful site comes in...we get to show off all our hard work to each other instead...

DYI electrical..?? is that Do Yourself In electrical..? :rofl:

Typo, LOL!

But you could look at it as DYI = Do yourself in... LITERALLY.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh?

babymonkey said:
hi all
just a quick paranoid question ,lol

when growing in a bedroom,garage etc.. ive heard that police helicopters can detect the rays of the lights people use ,is this true ??

thanks

They can detect heat from the light, but there has to be a difference in tempurature between that object and the surrounding area.
If your house is well insulated it may not even show if your grow is all inside and not vented outside.
You hear alot of things-Leo is allowed to lie to you especially if he/she is investigating you.
Also helicopters cost alot of money(Easily 6 figures-add flir and you just hit a mil-tax money can't be spent just flying around and fleering all day (200.00 per hour to operate.).
If you have a $600,000.00 helicopter circling your house-they are already on to you.

Besides the heat could be an appliance of any kind for what they know.

You might try and have an insulating company check your house.
Ooops-apartment-okay-ask the landlord-tell him/her you are "concerned about utility costs".

Keep it green.
:)
Gb

Tact said:
Typo, LOL!

But you could look at it as DYI = Do yourself in... LITERALLY.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh?

:rofl: Good one, Tact! :rofl:

:aok:

Gb

Don't tell a single person. If it's only you, you drastically reduce your risk.

GeezerBudd said:
They can detect heat from the light, but there has to be a difference in tempurature between that object and the surrounding area.
If your house is well insulated it may not even show if your grow is all inside and not vented outside.
You hear alot of things-Leo is allowed to lie to you especially if he/she is investigating you.
Also helicopters cost alot of money(Easily 6 figures-add flir and you just hit a mil-tax money can't be spent just flying around and fleering all day (200.00 per hour to operate.).
If you have a $600,000.00 helicopter circling your house-they are already on to you.

Besides the heat could be an appliance of any kind for what they know.

You might try and have an insulating company check your house.
Ooops-apartment-okay-ask the landlord-tell him/her you are "concerned about utility costs".

Keep it green.
:)
Gb

you dont need a helicopter to use an IR camera.. LEO can just roll through the neighbor hood.

but that usually doesnt happen. if LEO is looking at your house with an IR camera (which is stupid expensive) they already suspect that you are doing something that breaks the law. they dont usually wander around the neighbor hood with a $10k piece of equipment.

on another note, you can get stuff to line your room that blocks IR if you are that worried about it.

but if the temp in the room is about the same as the rest of the house, the IR camera results would not be conclusive.

hi guys

firstly i would like to thanks everyone that has took time out to reply,i already love this site.

all the answers has slowed my paranoia,lol theres only me & the mrs o the planet that knows im growing & my lips are completly sealed so all looks good.

i didnt expect anyone to answer the question as i thought it might of been a liitle dumb to ask it,so i will ask 1 more stupid question,sorry but im a cautious person & have kids & want to cover every safety measure

QUESTION :

1) when growing in a bedroom & i have to open the tent up,can people detect the light it gives off,outside ?

2) when venting the air outside through the bedroom window,obviously i cant leave it hanging outside of the window ( nosy neighbours),so any ideas on how to disguise it ?

again sorry for the 2 dumb questions but ive only been growing for a week & just need a few things off my mind,hopefully i can get the same amount of replies of you guys

thanks

I seen a special on TV about FLIR camara's and they said they look for the exhaust coming from the grow room, they said it cant tell the difference between your homes heat and heat from a grow if vented inside the house.

They even did a drive by in a neigborhood and showed what the exhaust looked like with FLIR.

Growdude said:
I seen a special on TV about FLIR camara's and they said they look for the exhaust coming from the grow room, they said it cant tell the difference between your homes heat and heat from a grow if vented inside the house.

They even did a drive by in a neigborhood and showed what the exhaust looked like with FLIR.

hi m8
that dosnt sound too good for me as im venting the hot air outside my bedroom window as i dont have an attic

I can't see how the heat from the exhausted air could look any different than the exhaust coming from your laundry dryer. I would tend to agree with the guys that responded earlier to this. If the cops are looking at your house with thermal imaging camera's then they are already on to you. Keep your mouth shut, and you will be fine.

As far as the exhaust you could force it to a different room to become cooled down before being exhausted outdoors. Also you could run it through carbon filters to get rid of the smell before being exhausted outdoors.

There is no stupid question here man! You can't learn if you don't ask!

Jericho said:
This is based on what i have seen for UK law enforcement

i have actually just watched a documentary on how they spot cannabis growers in residential locations.
They do fly around in a chopper looking for heat signatures coming from the buildings, They compare it to other buildings in the area to see the difference.
Even if you house/room is well insulated there will always be some sort of heat discharge, usually they can see it around the windows, around the outside of the chimney and so on.

A

This may be so in the UK...The US is so broke right now, I don't see them doing this for awhile here, at least until this recession lifts. If you have a small grow, and keep your mouth shut, don't be dealing...you should be fine!

legalize_freedom said:
This may be so in the UK...The US is so broke right now, I don't see them doing this for awhile here, at least until this recession lifts. If you have a small grow, and keep your mouth shut, don't be dealing...you should be fine!

hi m8
much appreciated for your comments

ive asked a few people & they all sat exactlt what your saying by keeping your mouth sealed

This is based on what i have seen for UK law enforcement

i have actually just watched a documentary on how they spot cannabis growers in residential locations.
They do fly around in a chopper looking for heat signatures coming from buildings, only if you are in a "hot" area though, so there would need to be some sort of tipoff 1st. They compare it to other buildings in the area to see the difference.
Even if you house/room is well insulated there will always be some sort of heat discharge, usually they can see it around the windows, around the outside of the chimney and so on.

Light also, if you have an open grow area and you happen to have a hps going through the night people are going to notice. especially if it is a cop in a chopper looking for just that.
This will not sent the cops straight to your door just put you on a suspicious list for them to check another time, and gather more info on the premises.
They also look for condensation on the windows so carefully hehe.

Also smell is a big issue as well. not filtering the smell is one of the main things that will give you away, when you live with it you get used to the smell, but neighbors or visitors to your area will be able to smell it especially if they are not smokers.

And yes as above the most common way to get busted is people knowing you grow and opening there big mouth to impress other people because they know someone cool enough to grow.

Here are some pics,
1st: one you will see the building in the middle being slightly lighter, that makes it suspicious,
2nd pic: basically the same but on the roof near the chimney
3rd pic: you will notice the difference one chimney being blue the other red.

Sorry for re-post, computer messed up.

Hope this helps.
Happy smoking all and safe growing.

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Untitled.jpg

this thread was a good read so far, informative and enjoyable. if i may throw 2 cents worth of a question in.... lets say i had a hot tub, small sauna, 2 fireplaces(running alot in every season but summer), a frequently used furnace and an outdoor building heated by a woodstove and a small well ventilated/cooler room, do you think leo would arrive on a heat signature suspicion? .... or maybe a loose lip issue??

edited... i needed to read a little more thoro first... i think you answered alot of my questions jericho lol. thanks.

Latest posts

Back