The Native American 3 Sisters Method

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the 3 Sisters Method of growing?

It's an old Native American method of planting corn, beans and squash together. Here's a nice article on Creating a Three Sisters Garden.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/6tprqf

this was actually the subject of my first biology lab in college. there was a noticable difference between the various field specimens. quite amazing the whole setup. this just shows how really "in tune" the native americans were (and still are). i've been wondering what plants could be used in similiar circumstances, but with orchids and some other possible plants. just a personal interest.

i do this type of gardening. there are so many things you can plant in a garden to compliment what is growing near it.
each garden we do has always got to have marigolds on four corners, and spread about. they get rid of root feeding nematodes. always til them under at season end.
another thing is tomatoes. i always plant dill near my tomatoes to control hornworms.
the 3 sisters way of planting is to confuse pests, while inviting insects that are beneficial to the crop.
there are so many ways to protect certain types of plants, with other plants. it's all in the arrangement.
happy growing...bb...
thanks fruitybud...

This is what I do. Plant my corn rows. Plant the seeds a bit farther apart then one usually does.
Plant my squash in the corn rows. The pole beans are planted on the outside rows. If you plant the pole beans other than the outside rows, this happens. The pole beans make a canopey over your corn. The squash will not get the sun it needs.
We plant the Butternut squash it is our favorite.

Now the racoons love to check our corn for us.The squash leaves are very itchy on the skin and leave little hairs that really are awful on the skin. Racoons will avoid the squash leaves. The corn is safe. Now if anyone knows how to keep woodpeckers from drilling the ears on the corn I would appreciate that info.We lost our corn to racoons every year before we planted The Three Sisters. This has worked for us for six years.

entropy82 said:
this was actually the subject of my first biology lab in college. there was a noticable difference between the various field specimens. quite amazing the whole setup. this just shows how really "in tune" the native americans were (and still are). i've been wondering what plants could be used in similiar circumstances, but with orchids and some other possible plants. just a personal interest.

order

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1580170277/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

you will love this book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gump said:
This is what I do. Plant my corn rows. Plant the seeds a bit farther apart then one usually does.
Plant my squash in the corn rows. The pole beans are planted on the outside rows. If you plant the pole beans other than the outside rows, this happens. The pole beans make a canopey over your corn. The squash will not get the sun it needs.
We plant the Butternut squash it is our favorite.

Now the racoons love to check our corn for us.The squash leaves are very itchy on the skin and leave little hairs that really are awful on the skin. Racoons will avoid the squash leaves. The corn is safe. Now if anyone knows how to keep woodpeckers from drilling the ears on the corn I would appreciate that info.We lost our corn to racoons every year before we planted The Three Sisters. This has worked for us for six years.

I have read that corn and cucumbers love each other's company as well.

Latest posts

Back