This notice means bad news

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tesla

Reaction score
I was at home but did not open the door.When they left I had this in my mail box.

"The *&&^%$## fire Department is requesting to perform a required housing compliance inspection for basic fire safety.
The *&&^%$## Fire Department is required to inspect rental homes annually, with no cost to the owner or tenant, for fire and life safety concerns.If you recieved this notice then you were not home today durning the inspection process. PLEASE RESPOND BACK SO THAT WE CAN COMPLETE THIS INSPECTION
."
I have lived here for 2 years and never had them inspect the house. I went to my city's/Fire Department websites and no mention of inspecting single dwelling rental homes once a year. I live in SoCal. Not sure what to do? Any suggestions would be helpful.

I have a pretty good idea where you live :hubba:. Or, the same thing is happening here. It is a problem here.

Wow...

Thank god they don't do that in the metro area that I live... I was in one duplex for 9 years and never had anyone come in to look at anything but an electrical panel after it had been re-done completely...

I think you better clear things out and get the inspection over with. I don't know what size of a grow you have but any size would be a PITA...I'd be surprised if they didn't want to look everywhere in your house for any 'unsafe' electrical use or other fire hazards. I could just imagine showing them my closet... :eek:

Maybe wait another day and then call them and say that you're out of town for work and a friend checking your mail read the notice and relayed the info to you. You could say you don't know when you'll be back for certain. You could then wait to see if they contact you a few weeks or a month later but if you rent they could contact your landlord for access if that's legal without you home.

Good Luck!:cool:

See? That's exactly why I never answer the front door anymore. It's always bad.

Just make sure that all your plugs in the grow room are not going into one socket.

The fire Dept dosent like seeing that kind of stuff.

THATS WHY I OWN MY HOME :)

sucks though.If u have a script. Ask them if your light is hung correctly.lol. Tell them it never get over 80 in your grow room so they shouldnt worry. :rofl:

I get it now, Tesla. Some cities have these inspection laws on the books (news to me):

hXXp://www.ci.fridley.mn.us/rental-property-inspection-division.

What was happening down here last year was grow house heat exhaust hitting cool/cold air was creating what looked like smoke, triggering calls to the FDept.

Unplug the grow hide it in the closet behind a bunch of boxes. do it the night before. Not going to be as invasive as you think...unless they are looking for grow ops and this is just an excuse they are using. You can thank insurance corporations dealing with legislation in your state for this one. :rolleyes:

Both risky if ya ask me. Moving flowering plants isn't fun either. could add some suspicion moving bunch of stuff out right before then moving back in after. if just doing an inspection will just do a walk through check service panel and poke head in attic crawl space. take a few readings, check bathroom GFCI outlets and one plug each room and go away. At least how they did em at my last rental. Had grow on during too. Depends on his odor control and stealth.

great answer dos.;) :) ...

your gonna have to do something tesla. they'll be back 4 sure. what art, and dos says makes sense if you was venting outside in winter, and the moisture was noticed by a 'concerned neighbor'...

dont know where your at, but here, law states they have to give 2-4 weeks notice to your landlord b4 entering premises. maybe this has already happened.

phone your landlord. ask if there was notice given.

me. i would call fd, get an appt. for them to inspect, and find somewhere to stash your girls elsewhere til inspect is done. and be home when they do it.

your landlord may have already given them permission, and now, since they could'nt enter, they may have to contact the landlord to have him/her meet them at your rental with a key to enter.

make a move now!!!...Irish...

Take your plants out ...and burn your house down ! No more Problem ! P.s.. and don't spill petrol on yourself ! Take care !

Ummm, your in cali? Why don't you umm, get a med card and start to "legally" grow?

rent a truck, put everything in the truck, park truck around the corner-plaza-friends house-big parking lot whatever, then bring it all back when they leave.

You really do need to look at the situation from the owners point of view and the view of the Fire Department and Insurance companies.

The owner of rental buildings are sometimes real sleaze balls. They run slum dwellings that are so unsafe that they murder people every year.

The insurance people have to cover the losses. If you owned one, I can assure you that you'd take precautions against fire hazards, in your contracts with building owners that rent spaces.

The owner of the property also has rights. His/Her rights are to protect the building they own from tenants who don't give a rats butt about safety of a building "They don't own". I've heard it too many times from tenants of rentals as they harm the building or take some sort of risk in it, "Hell, "I" don't own it, "I" don't give a damn if it burns down".

The owner is entitled to protect their property.

The Insurance company is entitled to cover their contracts.

The Fire Department puts out apartment fires every single day.

If you grow in a rental, get used to the invasion of people covering their butts, money wise.

Put em in 55 gallon bags to the truck. Take the bags off them in the truck after going somewhere secluded.

Take out all trace of the grow. Don't try to "Pull-a-Story" on these guys. They've heard it all and will call the cops on you in a New-York-Minute.

Find a house to buy.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

the landlord for an industrial building once pulled this on me. he told me there would be a fire inspection, gave me 24hrs notice. no letter or anything. turns out it was fake - the inspection never happened. Of course i still had to rent a truck, move all 100 plants in week 7 of flowering overnight, biggest PITA ever!

but seriously imo if you have a recommendation, and you're within plant limits, just make sure there are no obvious electrical hazards and keep your plants where there are

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will be doing what I need to do ...ie call owner. Remove everything and long term look for a place in unicorporated part of the county to rent/buy. Will keep you up date in case others are in my crappy position.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back