Thought some of you might like this for the PET LOVERS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HydroManiac

Reaction score
One of my goldfish is dying. “Minnow,” the name I affectionately gave the fish 14 years ago when I was a kid, has been lying on the gravel for over a week now and everyday it struggles harder and harder to eat the red and yellow flakes I drop in. The water is clean, I’ve tried the antibiotics, and I’ve even talked to a couple of fish store employees about what I could do for it. It turns out there is not much I can do for this goldfish. And to tell you the truth, it’s making me sick in my heart.

Yes, I know what you’re thinking. It’s just a fish. Fish get eaten and flushed down the toilette all the time. Aren’t we being just a little dramatic? Well, I have to admit that is a reasonable reaction, regardless of accruing 14 years of sentimentality as a pet owner.

But, there is another reason I am cut deep with an invisible pain every time a look at this 10-gallon tank. The fish’s companion, “Goldie,” the other 19-cent goldfish I purchased with Minnow well over a decade ago, is still as healthy as it was the day I bought it. However, ever since minnow started to die, Goldie has been--different. Goldie now just sits most of the time, next to its dying neighbor, always in physical contact. Whenever I go to drop in food, Goldie will spring up like a hunting trap and eat just like it always had, except now it will periodically pause and give Minnow a nudge or two as if telling it “come on, the food is here, you need to eat!”

After the meal, Goldie will always resume its post next to Minnow. And now, every time I pass that damn tank I see the same thing, two fish huddled together on the gravel, one fish upright, the other on its side, always touching, scale to scale. They seem to have a certain sadness in their eyes that is impossible to describe. And the hardest part is that I can’t do anything to help them.

Is this just all my imagination? Are my emotions getting in the way of rational thinking? Maybe. Are fish even capable of personality and attachment? I don’t know. I’m merely telling you what I’m observing and the way I feel about it.

Maybe there’s something to learn in this small tragedy. Perhaps two living things, whether they are humans, goldfish, or even trees, can establish emotional bonds so strong that it is our moral duty respect those bonds even though we lack the ability to understand them.

On the other hand, maybe it is my own sentimental bond to my dying pet fish that is somehow manifesting itself through my interpretation of the other fish in the tank. Either way, as juvenile as it may seem, I will still give my fish a proper burial when it passes on. Perhaps the surviving fish will serve as a reminder for me, to consider the relationships and bonds I have now and will have in the future. And these bonds, like a 19-cent feeder fish, will not be there forever.

Think twice about how god made us and the gifts of this world he made for us
03.gif

man, what a good read. i'm also a pet lover, no matter what the type,they all need to be cared for once we've helped them become domesticated. that is our moral duty to them. sorry for your sadness. some people would call you and i many things; but so be it. i'll call u ,friend. i have a story to tell you myself. my neighbor had a 16 year old german shepard, it was the beloved family dog. my friend is a 67 year old retired marine, tough as they come, hard-core family man. this man has seen more in this life, than he cares to remember. his family dog's name was Joshua. this man has many daughters, and many sons, and , in all of them, he instilled his love for pets. last summer, his faithful friend passed away in the night, when he and his grand-daughter, ( 7 years old ), went out to the kennel one morning to release Joshua for a romp in the yard, he lay dead. one look at his baby, reduced this rock of a man to tears, so upset, he called to me to look after his grand-daughter , until his wife got out of work. his grand-baby was in a state of shock , as Joshua was her pet as well as grandpa's. this child saw her papa cry for the first time ever, and it hurt her to her moral being. she will remember that day for the rest of her life. i buried my friends beloved pet for him that evening.
every time his grand-baby came over to her grandpa's house for the next month, she cried continous , her Joshua was gone. my friend did not know what to do , to make this horrific scene go away from his grand-daughters mind. i consoled with him one evening. i suggested he and she build a cross togeather, with thier pet's name, and let her paint it with grandpa, and the two of them put it on his resting place. that worked. that sealed thier bond, and thier love, for thier family pet. Love is unselfish friend , giving, more than it takes. be at peace minnow, know you are loved. peace my friend...

very good post i have too boost your rep this is one good post.

That was beautiful.

I too am struggling with an aging pet. He is still active, but is in a steady decline. Thanks for sharing your story.

As an animal fanatic, I feel your pain. Must be heartbreaking to see Minnow's life slip away and his companion right there by his side. But Wow 14 years is a LONG life for a goldfish!! You are definitely taking very good care of them.

I have a house full of animals (including goldfish) and every time I lose a pet, it's very depressing. We took in a pregnant stray cat a few months ago (our dog befriended her). We spent a lot of time finding wonderful homes for all the kittens, but when it was finally time for them to go, it was devastating. And the momma cat still goes around the house searching and crying out for the kittens :(. They were all placed in excellent homes....so I am trying to count my blessings....

But back to Minnow...it's hard not to be bummed out, but try and celebrate the long life he had. There's no way to replace a beloved pet, but I always find that getting another one eases the pain somewhat. The circle of life and all...

Latest posts

Back