Trouble with timer and ballast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuy103

Praying for a female!
Reaction score
I bought a timer for my 600w ballast. The package says it can handle up to 1800w, 120v and it's 15 amps.

I'm not sure if the timer is the problem, but whenever the timer comes ON, the ballast turns on but not the light bulb.

I know it sounds weird, but if I turn off my ballast and turn it back on I have to unscrew the light bulb and screw it back in for it to turn on again.

Is there something wrong with my bulb, ballast, timer?

:confused:

are you waiting long enough, some take time before the bulb lights

just a thought

I'm going to say it's the ballast. To test, eliminate the timer and plug the ballast directly into a wall with the bulb in place, screwed into the hood. If it lights it is the timer, but I doubt it will. If it does not light it is either the ballast or the bulb, if the bulb lights at any time then it works, and it is not the bulb. Make sure you give the bulb enough time to light. That will only leave one option...

That being said, check the wiring going into your hood, the ballast might be fine, the wiring might just be loose. Good luck, hope you don't have to buy a new ballast!

dman1234 said:
are you waiting long enough, some take time before the bulb lights

just a thought

:yeahthat:

or.... are you waiting long enough between tries? if the bulb has lit up to peak and you unplug it, then you plug it back in, you usually have to wait a few minutes for the bulb to cool back down before it will re-ignite....

this isn't always true, and usually easily forgotten, but it could be your problem....

yeah takes a bit to fire up....i bet he comes back and says it came on:rofl: I hope so anyway..

i hope his problem is something that simple....

is it a swithchable ballast? I have a 400w switchable, and I have forgotten to put the setting on the right spot for the right bulb, and it lights up, and then goes dark real quick...just a thought?

It's probably not coming on because I'm not waiting long enough, lol.

I'll try waiting a couple minutes this time...I'll let ya'll know. Thanks!

:D

keep in mind that it could take anywhere from 1-30 minutes to let the bulb re-fire....

Wow, seriously...1-30 minutes? That's a long time.

I checked again yesterday and waited only a couple of minutes...maybe 2-3 minutes and nothing came on.

Maybe I have to wait at least 5 minutes or something. I guess I'll check again.

cuy103 said:

I checked again yesterday and waited only a couple of minutes...maybe 2-3 minutes and nothing came on.

Maybe I have to wait at least 5 minutes or something. I guess I'll check again.

If the bulb is cold it should fire up in 2-3 min.

Have you tried it without the timer?

cuy103 said:

that's a realistic time frame for a bulb that needs to cool down before firing back up....

like dude said, a cold bulb should start within just a few minutes....

Simple and should be what you should have tried first, did you make sure the light was secure and screwed in all the way? Sometimes its the simple things

never mind just reread your post

Thanks for all the help and all your replies!

It takes 5 minutes for the bulb to light up again.

Before, I waited about 2-3 minutes and got fed up and thought it wasn't working. Today, I waited an extra 3 minutes and it turned on.

So, the problem wasn't the bulb, ballast or timer. The problem was my impatience, LOL.

But thanks for all the help ya'll!!!

I have never had one to take that long to start up, mine always fired up first thing. It might take a min to reach full brightness but it was on.
How old is your bulb? could be the problem.

krazy I think it took so long because the light had been on, turned off and tried to turn back on while it was still hot....had to give the bulb time to cool down b4 it could be turned back on

Latest posts

Back