Two Options - Can I Get Your Opinion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonwolf

Unrepentant Hippie
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install a carbon filter/can fan for heat and odor control. I'm looking at a couple of options for installation:

1. Push the Air Through the Light

Filter -> Fan -> Light -> Exhaust

2. Pull the Air Through the Light

Filter -> Light -> Fan -> Exhaust

Is one of these preferable or more effective than the other? Any comments on the relative merits of each?

Everything I have heard is that positive pressure is more effective than negative..... PUSH your air... not pull... at least that is what I have learned beng a firefighter..... not sure if it will work the same in this application heh.

I think you might want to do this... fan > light> exhaust

I would utilize more than one fan and have my light on a separate fan than my filter. I would not be pulling air from inside your grow space to try and cool the light. IMO, the air to cool the light could come from outside the grow space. If the light is sealed, this air does not need to be filtered. You will find that while you always need to cool your light, you are not always going to need to use a filter. Many strains do not smell until well into flowering and some strains never smell much at all unless you touch them.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I would utilize more than one fan and have my light on a separate fan than my filter. I would not be pulling air from inside your grow space to try and cool the light. IMO, the air to cool the light could come from outside the grow space. If the light is sealed, this air does not need to be filtered. You will find that while you always need to cool your light, you are not always going to need to use a filter. Many strains do not smell until well into flowering and some strains never smell much at all unless you touch them.
Also agree with the two fans idea. One for the fresh air requirement which is "contaminated" with odor, and one for cooling your light hood using a cooltube, or sealed light/hood system. There is no need to move "unodorized" air through your carbon filter as it will shorten the useable life of it. The "clean" air still has particulates in it that fill the little microscopic pores of the activated carbon, decreasing it's affectiveness. An easy to change pre-filter in front of your carbon filter also helps to eliminate unecessary particulates, extending the life of your carbon.

Latest posts

Back