Uk : Councillor Is In The Clear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tester

Amsterdam
Reaction score
A COUNCILLOR arrested in Sheffield last month on suspicion of possessing drugs has been cleared of any wrongdoing.
Coun Mazher Iqbal, a prominent member of Sheffield Council's Labour shadow cabinet, was arrested near his Handsworth home while sitting in the car of a man who had asked for help with some paperwork.

The man had travelled from another part of Sheffield and Coun Iqbal said he popped out of his home to help him complete some forms.

But both men were arrested when police asked to search the car as part of a routine check and found a small quantity of cannabis in the vehicle.

The Darnall councillor was interviewed by officers, and released on police bail while they conducted further investigations.

Now South Yorkshire Police have cleared him and released him from bail obligations, after they found no evidence linking him to the drugs.

Coun Iqbal said: "I never doubted that my innocence would be proven in the end. The ongoing investigation meant I could not comment publicly but I have always maintained that I was wrongly arrested as I was doing casework. I am glad the ordeal is now over for me and my family and I look forward to continuing to serve my ward."

The councillor, who was first elected in 2006, said the second man was not a member of his Darnall ward, but said he is often asked to do casework for members of the Asian community across the city.

He said he could not comment on whether the other man had been charged or cautioned.

Coun Iqbal added: "Our legal system is clear - you are entitled to be treated as innocent until proven otherwise. The leaking of information about my arrest can only have been carried out with the intent to damage my reputation."

Latest posts

Back