UK: Police sniff out massive Accrington cannabis farm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
A MASSIVE cannabis factory has been found at a former Chinese takeaway.

The drugs farm containing 1,200 plants is one of the biggest ever discovered in East Lancashire.

It was uncovered after two bicycle patrol police noticed an unusual smell around the former Magic Wok takeaway, Blackburn Road, Accrington.

Police said the factory would have produced cannabis worth hundreds of thousands of pounds.

And on the same day, officers found 100 cannabis plants at a property in Haslingden Old Road, Blackburn.

In Accrington, officers said all three floors of the former takeaway, which is opposite the Acorn Primary Health Care Centre, was ‘crammed’ with 500 mature and 700 immature cannabis plants.

Sergeant Graham Brownsmith said: “It was a surprise to discover how large it actually was. The scale was immense and there were plants in every nook and cranny.

“We had been expecting quite a large amount because we had been able to smell it in the open air, but were still surprised.

“This was a significant seizure and we are constantly looking to crack down on illegal production and supply of drugs.”

Sgt Brownsmith and Police Community Support Officer Rikki Gallacher were making their way back to Accrington Police Station on bicycles when they sniffed out the drugs farm.

They watched the area for over a week, before executing a search warrant at 2.30pm on Monday.

No arrests have yet been made.

PCSO Gallacher, who is a community officer for Oswaldtwistle said: “We were just cycling past when we caught a whiff of it.

“Sgt Brownsmith said: ‘Can you smell that?’ and I said ‘Yeah’. It was quite strong.

“At first we just watched the property as we weren’t sure if the smell was coming from the takeaway or from somewhere else, so we just kept and eye on the area. “ Neighbours told of their shock that the drugs had been grown in their community.

Mohammed Yaseen, from the nearby newsagent’s, said: “I thought I smelled something about a month ago, but I just assumed it was from a house or a passing car.

“I never saw anyone coming or going from there and it’s been closed for quite a few months.”

Persia Street resident Saida Khan, who lives in one of the houses which backs onto the former takeaway, said: “I was very surprised when I heard. It’s a very quiet street and I’ve never heard anyone coming or going. I suppose you just never know.”

A 34-year-old man and 28-year-old woman were arrested on suspicion of producing cannabis in connection with the Blackburn find. They have been bailed pending further inquiries.

The biggest cannabis factory found in East Lancashire was at the Derby Arms pub in Scotland Road, Nelson, where 2,000 plants were found.

The only other one greater than 1,200 plants was the 1,500-plant farm discovered at the former Merrie England pub in Great Harwood.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/aclo4t

Latest posts

Back