Using Sugar to increase bud size?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my nutes have molasses in them the plants love it.

Sorry if this is too off topic, but this article touches on adding sugar and what happens with the curing process because of that. Go down to the adding flavors part, and it talks about watering with juice hinted water to give the bud a taste/smell of the juice of your choice. i was wondered if anyone had done this? and also if people who add sugar have had increased mold problems? i'm slightly wanting to try this, but i'm not sure how smart it would be to believe something that comes from a random article on the internet, with precious nugs.

hXXp://www.scribd.com/doc/2522863/Curing-Marijuana

(does someone want to explain the whole hXXp thing to me? i've seen other people do it and i figured i might as well do it to avoid an e-scolding lol.)

Smot_poker said:
Sorry if this is too off topic, but this article touches on adding sugar and what happens with the curing process because of that. Go down to the adding flavors part, and it talks about watering with juice hinted water to give the bud a taste/smell of the juice of your choice. i was wondered if anyone had done this? and also if people who add sugar have had increased mold problems? i'm slightly wanting to try this, but i'm not sure how smart it would be to believe something that comes from a random article on the internet, with precious nugs.

hXXp://www.scribd.com/doc/2522863/Curing-Marijuana

(does someone want to explain the whole hXXp thing to me? i've seen other people do it and i figured i might as well do it to avoid an e-scolding lol.)

Hello Smot_Poker:

The first bit of advice I'd like to share with you is that you should try smoking pot instead of poking smot :p. Clever name.

I read that article you linked (the xx is to avoid direct links to this site, something about security), and IMHO it is a bunch of hooey. The author includes so many myths in the text of the article that one must question the validity of any of the claims. While there is no question that a proper cure will affect the flavor and burn of your finished product and an improper cure can result in harsh taste and even reduced potency, the bottom line is I've never seen any evidence, even anecdotal, that substantiates the claim that you can enhance/impact the flavor of your finished product through amendments/additives to your soil or res or by adding something during the cure. People often ask the question because someone told them about it, but I've never seen anyone claim they've actually done it successfully.

Adding citrus fruit peel to your product during cure is a sure-fire invitation for mold. The only reason you should ever add fruit peel to your product is in the event of your product becoming too dry. It will quickly rehydrate your herb- but you must watch it closely as it rehydrates very quickly and can lead to your product having too much moisture. But it will not affect flavor.

I know this is an older thread, but the whole molasses thing rears it's head every other month or so. And still people make such claims as:

my nutes have molasses in them the plants love it.

What does this mean????

Most nutes that have carbos of one type or another seem to be flowering nutes- IMHO that is merely perpetuating the myth. The only proven statement in this regard is the one made regarding it's effect on the microbacterial activity in the soil. To quote Umbra: "Feed the soil, not the plant."

If you plan to use molasses (I use it myself), IMHO you should start early while still in veg to enhance your medium and how your plants derive nutrients from it.

Good luck to you.

hmmm. that was a lot of knowledge to digest, but my brain sure appreciated it!!!

I can definitely understand why adding moisture to the curing process is a no-no. i once stuck an orange peel in a bag of buds to fluff it up (or so i thought) and it actually condensed. the smoke had a weird tinge to it that wasn't unpleasant, but it wasn't like "holy crap this bud tastes like oranges!" in that regard, the author definitely fell off the mark.

on the other hand, i was more interested in the flavoring with extracts part of the article. if you think about it, it does make a bit of sense. when you water the plant, it draws up the waters through it's roots and distributes it around the plant through the stems and out to the leaves and buds, so if there was flavoring mixed in with the water, it seems as if the flavor would be drawn up with the water. and if you harvested when the flavored water was still in the plant, it seems to me (i could be wrong) that the flavoring would be locked in the buds.

but as you said, that is just an article and it should be tried out. aaaand, my plant being about 4 or 5 weeks into flowering, i figure, why not me? since i'm on probation, i'm not in a position to smoke my harvest immediately, and so if i flavor it and it turns out harsh, or just unflavored, then my friends can tell me so and i'll never do it again. but if it works, and my friends say, "holy crap this is some *insert fruit here* flavored weed", then i think we may be on to something.

this little endeavor will be documented when the time comes nearer, so look out lol.

Latest posts

Back