Ventilationizationing (Air flow)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffca

Reaction score
i am going to be growing in my room and need to know a few things about ventilation. will keeping a fan on while having a window open circulate enough air around the grow space for good growth. and is having the AC on all the time a good idea?

note: the window is on the other side of the room that my grow space will be.

what sze area are we workng with? ac units are not fresh air..what are the temps n the room?.. need some more nfo to help you my friend..

size room?
temps?
soil/hydro?
lights used?

there is no room yet from what a gather. its his bedroom. he hasn't even got started yet.. it sounds like he's tryin to fix problems he don't have yet.. worryin about ventilation without a box is point less.. buying a light without a box to put it in pointless. how do you know what light to get if you don't know how big your grow box will be? why worry about how much air flow you need when you don't know how hot your light is going to make the box you don't have. see what im saying..

slowmo77 said:
there is no room yet from what a gather. its his bedroom. he hasn't even got started yet.. it sounds like he's tryin to fix problems he don't have yet.. worryin about ventilation without a box is point less.. buying a light without a box to put it in pointless. how do you know what light to get if you don't know how big your grow box will be? why worry about how much air flow you need when you don't know how hot your light is going to make the box you don't have. see what im saying..

He keeps talking like his whole bedroom is going to be his grow space. He hasn't even mentioned building a box or partitioning off a seperate space...I actually think it sounds like he thinks he can just put some plants in his bedroom (like you would house plants), put a light over them and open a window occasionally for ventilation (and he obviously wants it to be stealth, since he is concerned about odor).

ya i've read alot of these post the few days and if he's half as confused as i am at this point then he's in bad shape.

if he's gonna put them in his room then why worry about venting the air? does he plan on sealing off his whole room and bringing freash air in and old air out of the whole room? see its very confusing to me.

DEDEDE

4u2smoke said:
what sze area are we workng with? ac units are not fresh air..what are the temps n the room?.. need some more nfo to help you my friend..

size room?
temps?
soil/hydro?
lights used?

the size of the room is about 12ftx12ft but i don't plan on using the entire space, i want to have as many plants as i can with a 400w light. temps will be generally about 65F. Fox Farm Ocean Forest. i am going to purchase the light as soon as i get my pay check, i am thinking i should get a 400w hps light but if it will allow me to grow a lot more plants i would want to get a 600w hps light.

thanks for your help.

slowmo77 said:
there is no room yet from what a gather. its his bedroom. he hasn't even got started yet.. it sounds like he's tryin to fix problems he don't have yet.. worryin about ventilation without a box is point less.. buying a light without a box to put it in pointless. how do you know what light to get if you don't know how big your grow box will be?
i get paid on monday so i am going to buy all of the stuff i need in one trip because it is a good drive to get it. that is why i am worrying about ventilation, the box, the light, and everything.
why worry about how much air flow you need when you don't know how hot your light is going to make the box you don't have. see what im saying..

the box being hot isn't the only reason to inquire about ventilation. plant growth can be stopped without enough CO2. and a plant box can eat up all the CO2 in a grow room within hours. so i've read about all the different types of ventilation, but i haven't read anything about a recommended or minimum amount of ventilation to sustain good growth.

my room is 12ftx12ft i plan on growing 12 plants (if that's possible with a 400w hps light), you're quick to say opening the window and turning on a fan won't work, but if that won't work what is the minimum kind of ventilation set up that will work? i haven't read anything that has told me that.

slowmo77 said:

my grow box will be as big as 12 3gallon pots, using a 400watt hps or 600watt hps.

jeffca said:
my grow box will be as big as 12 3gallon pots, using a 400watt hps or 600watt hps.

you can figure out everything you need by measuring the size of you grow space in sq. a 400w will cover about a 3x3 foot area and a 600w will cover about 4x4sq. Exausts are rated by CFM, or how many cubic feet of air they clear in one minute. Once you have the dimensions just figure it out whats best for you.

widowmaker said:
you can figure out everything you need by measuring the size of you grow space in sq. a 400w will cover about a 3x3 foot area and a 600w will cover about 4x4sq. Exausts are rated by CFM, or how many cubic feet of air they clear in one minute. Once you have the dimensions just figure it out whats best for you.

cool man, that's all the info i needed thanks for your help.

I would go wth the 600..and in the room build you a box cause you need the the room to be no larger then 4x4..take a look at my grow room and see how I made smaller rooms out of a large room..Good luck my frend

slowmo77 said:
I wish I would have started with my tent. I bought my hood before i had my tent now I think I need to buy a bigger hood.

your not under standing this are you? its like this you can easily supply your plant enough air with a very small fan bringing air into your grow box. however your going to need more airflow to control your temps due to the heat created by your HPS.. a 400watt is easier to cool than a 600watt. so untill you decide what light your going to use and how hot that light makes your grow box then how can anyone say you need xxx amount of air flow.

this isn't an exact science. everyone area is different. my temps stay low because it;s cool here than in mexico so i don't need to cool my grow boxs as much, my humidity is higher here than in arizona so i handle it differently. different lights cause different circumstances. so until you know what your circumstances are then your jumping the gun. jmo

hey slowmo77..I tend to disagree a bit....If this friend is going to buy..and he/she should..IMO..buy a 600 air cooled hood...mayB even a conversion...

tokemon...that 400 in a 2x4 tent is Good ..40k lumes needed...but if you was to put a 600....WOW..BIG DIFF...BIG BUDD

anyways..I did not blow my fingers off last night..but sure Did blow my lungs off..KEEP M GREEN

see i must be confussed...he's not asking about lights in this thread hes asking about air flow.. he has 5 other threads asking about lights why make this one about it.. either i don't under stand what he's saying or he and you aren't understanding what im saying.

ok as simple as i know how to explain what im saying.

ok let s say the box is 4x4 (but he still don't know)
lets say he buys a 600watt HPS ( but he still don't know)
so if he don't know how big the box is how does he know what light to use????
if he don't know what light to use (even air cooled hoods heat up a grow box) then how does he know what his temps are gonna be??
without knowing what the temps will be how can anyone say how much airflow he needs?
if its 110 degrees where he is and 70 degrees where i am the amount of air flow in my box won't be the same as the air flow in his box.
IMO certain things have to be done in order to get the answer hes looking for... but thats just my thoughts. i could be wrong..

4u2smoke said:
hey slowmo77..I tend to disagree a bit....If this friend is going to buy..and he/she should..IMO..buy a 600 air cooled hood...mayB even a conversion...

tokemon...that 400 in a 2x4 tent is Good ..40k lumes needed...but if you was to put a 600....WOW..BIG DIFF...BIG BUDD

anyways..I did not blow my fingers off last night..but sure Did blow my lungs off..KEEP M GREEN
I agree that 400 is good for me but my hood is too small. It focuses the light all in the middle.

4u2smoke said:
I would go wth the 600..and in the room build you a box cause you need the the room to be no larger then 4x4..take a look at my grow room and see how I made smaller rooms out of a large room..Good luck my frend

thank you, that's good info. from everything i've read i'm gonna go with the 600watt hps. and from what i gathered from you a 4x4 box sounds sufficient. :D

Latest posts

Back