Wet/Dry cycle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camiudom

Reaction score
What is the benefit to the wet/dry cycle? Could grower introduce water based on plant use, say by weight of the bucket, and keep moisture content relatively the same throughout the growth and flowering of a plant?

I guess you "could" .

The benifet of the dry cycle is when the plants run out of yummy water to drink, they start to reach around and find some. Expanding your root mass. Therefore enabling the plant to suck up more food. faster.

It's not really possible to discuss this without reference to the specific medium in use. For instance, coco should not be allowed to dry out. It's pretty much like run-to-loss hydro. But soil is completely different.

Sounds like more research is necessary- A run to loss hydro sounds like more of a soilless medium, with a continuous flow or trickle of water- Am I correct? I know the downfalls to such a system, so I have been sticking to dirt, but it has always interested me. Maybe I should give it a whirl- any thoughts? Do some strains typically lend themselves better to a hydro environment than others?

Some strains do naturally adapt to hydro environments better than others - however this could be the result of the simple grower/plant relasionship. I use a peat based soiless mix (pro-mix). Under my schedule I water once every 4 or 5 days. In vegetative growth, in a confined pot, it is important to allow your soiless peat medium or even soil to properly dry-out. Don't let the words dry-out confuse you - it's important to find the right level of moisture before feeding/watering again. Your plants need to essentailly work to search for fluids. This promotes healthy root growth and develops a solid foundation for flowering. With-out a few dry-out periods early in some mediums the plant will simply not grow properly. Coco on the other hand as mentioned likes to be wet. It really depends on the medium used for growing and how you apply your nutes. Many chem growers for example, can get away with tiny root system, requiring small amounts of steady water. Some organic growers can water very little, relying on an available substrate capable of serious water retention. Your methods will depict what best suits your plants watering needs.

Latest posts

Back