what do do next for heat.....400hps cabinet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loolagigi

UP UP AND AWAY!
Reaction score
ok, right now i have a grow cab in a closet. its about 6' high, 2 foot wide and 3 foot deep, give or take a few inches. i have a 400 hps in a glass sealed hood. i have a squirell cage 465 cfm pulling air from the hood, with the other end of the hood sealed off. i also have a passive a/c intake that kicks on when the house thermostat turn on the ac, so its not constant. my temps were getting to like 95. nothing would grow in there. also humidity was like 20, that sucks. so today i went and baught a 120v to 12 volt converter, and 2- 4" 80 cfm computer fans. with all the goodies i have, how should i place evrything? should i leave the 465 exzaust hooked up to the light hood? should i open the other end of the hood that is closed? should i make both comp fans push air out, or in? or one in and one out? where should i place them? as soon as i get some responses, i will install, and update ventilation, and get back to you on hopefully lower temps, and higher humidity. thanks :hubba: p.s, when the light is off in the cabinet, the temp is 69, and humidity 46, so i should be able to keep temp below 80 when running if i do this right.

why is one end of hood closed,
pull air from outside the box through hood and out the other side of box

dman1234 said:
why is one end of hood closed,
pull air from outside the box through hood and out the other side of box
gee, why didnt i think of that? thanks, also i just purchased a bake a round pyrex tube to make a cooltube. i got the 990 model, can anyone tell me specs, like wall thickness and length? i know outside diameter is 3.75". and when i get the cooltube running, would using one of my 2 4" comp fans ....one pulling air from outside cab, into the cooltube, and still keep my 465 cfm pulling air from the other end? or keep the tube passive with the 465 doing all the work to cool the tube? see i have all the goodies, just not sure where to use them.

!BUm-uog!mk~$(KGrHgoOKiQEjlLmZ!24BKOW!8eEgg~~_12.jpg

I have two 150 watt HPS bulbs in a pyrex bakearound. One of the problems with the bakearound is the the diameter is not wide enough. The bulb(s) are so close to the glass tube that no matter how much air you suck through it, you're still getting direct heat radiation to the tube and into your box. Have you looked at a 6 inch cool tube from a place like HTG? They're about 18" long, which is too long for my box (which is why I have a bakearound :)). Edit: they're about $80 last I checked.

Also, have you relocated your HPS ballast outside of the box? The ballast generates as much heat as the bulb :).

EDIT: one more thing - 4" ducting will attach just fine to the bakearound. Have a look at The Hemp Goddess dual 150 watt HPS cool tube in the DIY forum.

ArtVandolay said:
I have two 150 watt HPS bulbs in a pyrex bakearound. One of the problems with the bakearound is the the diameter is not wide enough. The bulb(s) are so close to the glass tube that no matter how much air you suck through it, you're still getting direct heat radiation to the tube and into your box. Have you looked at a 6 inch cool tube from a place like HTG? They're about 18" long, which is too long for my box (which is why I have a bakearound :)). Edit: they're about $80 last I checked.

Also, have you relocated your HPS ballast outside of the box? The ballast generates as much heat as the bulb :).

EDIT: one more thing - 4" ducting will attach just fine to the bakearound. Have a look at The Hemp Goddess dual 150 watt HPS cool tube in the DIY forum.
ok, i located one 80 cfm pulling air in the bottom of cab, and one pulling air out above. i also relocated my ballast to the top, outside of the box. i am testing the cab right now with both comp fans on. i have just a regular household lamp in there for now. i turned off my 465 fan, because when i use it on the cooltube, it will draw air from outside box, through the tube, and out the ceiling using the 465 cfm. i want to see what temps do with this method just for kicks. remember, when i shut down my cab totally exept for the passive a/c intake, its 69 degrees, at 45 percent humidity. so with the 2 comp fans, and just a reg lamp, and the passive ac, in a half hour it should be pretty damn cool in there. temp was 74 with 47 humidity when i turned everything on, then i shut door, and closet door. hope temps go way down. ill be back in a hour to show results. now i know, the hps isnt on, but this should give me some idea on how the ventilating is working.

i hope my 400 hps works well in my bake a round....its a hortilux hps.

well its been 2 hours, and with 400 hps on, i flux from 79.7, to 80.2!!!!!! but its the evening, tommorows hot day will speak the truth. summers suck.

Latest posts

Back