what I am looking for...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themadhatter

EAT! your heart out....
Reaction score
hey everyone, new to this forum as im sure you already are aware of. im looking for a simple illustrated guide to homemade hydroponic systems. ive googled my butt off and nouthing good. any advise?

if you cant find it here
there is a good do it your self dwc on the cannibis culture website
but im sure there is lots here you just gotta find it

thank you, i havent seen anything illustrated here so far but it is alot to look through, i think ive been to the CC site but it never hurts to go back, if you have any links you would like to share i would be more than happy to look at them. thanks again and again.:rolleyes:

Easiest hydro setup is going to be a deep water culture bubble bucket...
Basically get a 5 gallon bucket, spray paint it, duct tape it, do whatever you gotta do to make it light proof. Spray painting it is a PITA but it will work with enough coats. Easiest thing to do is probably just glue mylar all the way around the bucket or buy a black bucket. You need to make sure that when the bucket is closed up it has ABSOLUTELY NO LIGHT coming in or you'll have algae issues. Next you need to drill a hole or two towards the top big enough to run some air tubing through it then get as big an airstone or two as you can find and hook it up to a airpump. I use two airpod 55 gallon aquarium airpumps, they're dual outlet models and I run 2 large airstones in each bucket, the more bubbles the better b/c well oxygenated roots are able to take up and use more nutrients. I did start out using a large 35 gallon tote but found it to be overkill for 2 plants and had lots of algae issues so went the route of bubble buckets and love it. Just make sure if you're going to do hydro you use RO water or distilled water and get a good pH meter... You also probably want to pick up a bottle of sensizyme just in case, it will help deter algae from developing and prevent root rot, if you do start to get root rot, it will help breakdown the rotting roots and slime and turn it into food for the plants. Don't waste your money on hygrozyme tho, that stuff's junk...

well i dont know much about the ponics, i know there are a few different setups, i have tons of instructions, i just want someting with step by step pics, i do better with visuals.

You need to visualize what they are saying. I just went through the same problem building my ebb and flow system. My own was the first one I saw in person and working. Just look online at hydroponics shops and visualize where the plant would go and how things are actually working.

For example. Ebb and Flow- You have a bucket at the bottom (reservoir) you can assume thats where the nutrient solution is going to be. Now you have a table on top... ok thats probably where the plants are going to sit. So it has to be deep... like 6 inches minimum so that the plants roots can be soaked up by the water when it gets into the table. Ok now how does the water get from the reservoir to the table? A water pump. Just make sure its big enough for your application! Look at pictures from DH and sites like that that sell these things.

DWC Big bucket with plants growing directly into a bubbling water filled bucket... ok so you need buckets, grow baskets, big aquarium air pump.

You see my point :) It took me a long time because I didn't really get a huge response from members so I did what I'm telling you to do and it wasn't so bad. Been growing on my system for two months and my girls are over 3 feet tall. Been in flower for a month and buds aren't huge, but hopefully these nutes I ordered today will fix that a bit. I suggest ebb and flow. I really think its the best method, especially when sea of green method is used. just my personal opinion.

I posted a pic of mine on here a million times... ya didn't google enough!

hxxp://lmgtfy.com/?q=DIY+hydroponics

We do not post direct links on this site so replace the xx with tt. Near the bottom you will also see a link for video results, that will probably be the most useful for you. Good luck, let us know how it works out for you and what you decide to build.

themadhatter said:
well i dont know much about the ponics, i know there are a few different setups, i have tons of instructions, i just want someting with step by step pics, i do better with visuals.

Dude it's real easy. Just read step by step.
1. Get a 5 gallon bucket.
2. Duct tape it a bunch, spray paint it black, glue mylar or black poly to it... Do whatever you have to do to make it lightproof.
3. Take your net pot and trace the outline of the top on top of the lid and use a razor blade to cut a few millimeters inside the line you traced so the net pot will fit inside and hang by the edges at the top. It's better to cut the hole too small and have to enlarge it than to cut it too big.
4. Paint the top, use mylar or poly or even cardboard to cover the top of the bucket so it's lightproof.
5. Drill a hole in bucket about 2 inches from the top big enough for a small airhose.
6. Run airhose through the hole and connect one end to airstone and other end to airpump. Voila, bubble bucket.

It should look like this.

I can't emphasize how important it is to make it lightproof so you don't get algae issues and root rot. If you can get a black bucket, that's the route to go.

Once you get it up and going it's ridiculously easy to care for and give you great results, this is my first time doing hydro and I'm running two bubble buckets... You can't tell from the pic b/c of the bad angle but these ladies are pretty dang big and have a crap ton of budsites, this photo is like 2 or 3 days into flowering so they're going to get a lot bigger. If you do decide to go hydro, do yourself a favor and buy a good pH pen and pH down for hydro, not aquariums, the pH pen makes life so much easier and the pH down is so much more stable than anything else...

Latest posts

Back