What strain to grow in Oregon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j2x

Reaction score
I'm planning on trying my first outdoor "gorilla" grow come fall and am trying to research and prepare for best results. I've learned a lot about means and methods, but I haven't found a resource that recommends particular strains for specific climates.

In May the average high temp here is 69, the average low is 44, and the average rainfall is 2.13". In Aug the average high temp is 81.9, the average low is 50.7, and the average rainfall is .39".

I will mix acrylic co-polymers in with the soil to hedge against the weeks of drought we usually have in August because I doubt I'll have a chance to water the plants myself. I'm really hoping to just plant seeds in the ground and check on them once or twice and more or less letting them grow on their own.

What hearty strain would you recommend for these conditions, or what resource would you recommend?

Thanks.
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

I am a firm believer in "you get out of things what you put into them " sounds like your not going to be putting much in .

Their are certain plant and forget types, I suggest reaserching seedbanks in depth! But be warned even those require alot more attention than just water here and there hoping for something at the end of harvest. Farming is a relaxing art that requires pateince and WORK. If all your going to do is throw a seed down and hope for the best i would start with bagseed and not waste money, In your head you make the call.Your ladies require weekly sometimes daily attention, if your not willing or able to then your just spinning your wheels. Best of luck.

I also live in Oregon and my outdoor girls in the ground are only good for 7-10 days max. between deep waterings. I don't see how you can stretch that out in July and August to just 2 visits. They need some luvin' on a regular basis

Very interesting. Obviously I missed a small and important detail from my research about outdoor guerrilla growing. I thought it was ideal to water regularly, but I hoped that there was a strain that could handle a more natural environment. I haven't grown erb before and most of my growing knowledge I've gained empirically from growing vegetables and flowers, etc in my garden. My fruit-producing plants always need regular watering, but I don't water my flowers. Sure, maybe they don't thrive as much as they could, but they certainly live well and grow tall and produce lots of flowers. I suppose I just assumed that there was an erb strain that was as hearty as this.

The reason I don't want to take weekly trips out to the grow is purely a matter of security and convenience. But, the more I've read the more security seems to be less of an issue with the proper prepared story and gear (binoculars, fishing pole, etc). And convenience might be mitigated with the assistance of a vested partner.

So, assuming I'm able to water weekly, what strain would be recommended for these conditions? I did some preliminary research on seedbanks this weekend and the ones I saw didn't really specify which region each strain was recommended for. Some were indicated to be more "hearty" than others, but I'd like a little more assurance.

Benny, what region of Oregon do you grow in? I wonder how much of your experience I can adopt. I'll be reading more about your grow. Thanks.

hello friend..and Nieghbor....Im in Seattle and have grown outdoors this being My secong..mostly indoors...I know ya setting up for next spring right.? we are Harvesting now..I have PurpleBud..I did indoors and now out..she did real well in both..Now there are stricly outdoor strains and there are indoor strains...you need to find what one works best for you..I sugest ya Pal up with Benny there..Hell help ya tremendusly...PM the hell outta him till he puts ya on ignor:rofl: not that he would hes good people:aok: good luck to you ..hope ya get your grow on..remember..take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

Thanks 4u! You are soooo helpful,lol.
j2x, I tried mango outside this year and it finished in time for Oct.1st in jars. That is what you want here. Most pure sativas won't finish before Nov. and they will get bud rot and powdery mold before that. You can even try some auto strains like AK48. I haven't yet, but plan to next spring. I think you can get 2 harvests from autos here, besides regular strains. Diversify and see what works, rather than plant all the same strain in the same place. Keep reading, there's tons of good info here. Look up Old Hippy and subcool in the search tab. They have some good posts here with some incredible plants.

I'm sorry, "Auto strain"? I haven't come across that term yet. You think it could be harvested twice in one season? why would you not do this? does each harvest have less quantity than a single, longer harvest and therefor doesn't seem as efficient for all the additional work, or...?

thanks for the suggestions.

Auto strains don't need short light periods to trigger flowering. They go from seed to flower on their own in a short amount of time. Why didn't I do it? I am a legal grower and I couldn't add any more plants to my grow this year.. Any strain that starts with AK is an auto strain. Check out Hamster's threads and look in the indoor and grow journal pages for lots of threads about them.

im from oregon(southern) too :ciao: you have to grow indicas here because sativas just wont come close to finishing, my friend tried to grow a sativa dom. plant and it didnt even start budding till mid september.
always nice to see other Oregonians :48:

After bringing my research and suggestions to the table, my "partners" are insisting on the safest approach for our first gorilla grow. No one wants to water nor start plants before planting in the ground. They would rather buy more feminized seeds and plant them directly in the ground in a more favorable climate.

I know all of you seem to insist on watering and caring for your plants throughout the season. As an experiment we are going to try and do this ultra-stealth. Planting the seeds directly in the ground and only visiting once or twice during the season to see how they are maturing before harvest. We are only looking for a personal stash and would be very satisfied with ten mature plants reaching harvest. I'm assuming an attrition of 10% and so was expecting to plant 100 plants on a very remote hillside that receives 100% sun up to 8 hours a day and diffuse sun 6-8 more hours a day.

What strain would you recommend for such a situation given the following conditions:

May High temp: 66.3
May Low temp: 44.4
May average precip: 2.78"

June High temp: 69
May Low temp: 47.4
May average precip: 1.88"

July High temp: 74.6
May Low temp: 50.6
May average precip: .52"

Aug High temp: 75.3
Aug Low temp: 50.8
Aug average precip: .52"

Sep High temp: 74.5
Sep Low temp: 47.3
Sep average precip: 1.37"

Additionally, if an extra 10 degrees temp would make that much difference, we could find a spot further south in the state, but there would be a bit less rainfall.

Thanks for your help!

j2x said:
After bringing my research and suggestions to the table, my "partners" are insisting on the safest approach for our first gorilla grow. No one wants to water nor start plants before planting in the ground. They would rather buy more feminized seeds and plant them directly in the ground in a more favorable climate.

I know all of you seem to insist on watering and caring for your plants throughout the season. As an experiment we are going to try and do this ultra-stealth. Planting the seeds directly in the ground and only visiting once or twice during the season to see how they are maturing before harvest. We are only looking for a personal stash and would be very satisfied with ten mature plants reaching harvest. I'm assuming an attrition of 10% and so was expecting to plant 100 plants on a very remote hillside that receives 100% sun up to 8 hours a day and diffuse sun 6-8 more hours a day.

So let me get this right.... so for your very first ultra stealth guerrilla grow your gonna plant 100 femd seeds in the ground on a hillside....???? your screwing wth us.... right???????????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

JustAnotherAntMarching said:
So let me get this right.... so for your very first ultra stealth guerrilla grow your gonna plant 100 femd seeds in the ground on a hillside....???? your screwing wth us.... right???????????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

maybe you don't know what rural Oregon is like. Huge several-hundred acre plots have been logged all across the coast range of the state. Many of these have wonderful southern exposure. Many of these have been replanted years ago and so are dotted all over by other medium-sized green, bushy conifers. These areas are only accessible by unmarked dirt road and then as little as 1/4 mile hike or as much as 5 miles, depending on how remote you want. Nothing is visible even from the remote road.

Seems like the ideal spot to plant. What's so confusing? With the low-risk factor, even if they all die or are eaten or for whatever reason fail to produce, the most we're out is a couple hundred bucks. Best case, we've got a couple pounds. Right?

ur thinkin your gonna pull elbows off plants your never gonna tend to....? WOW is all i can say... use the couple hunj and buy some herb...

If you really thnk you can put out 100 femd seeds and never attend to them and your gonna get good weed your smokin something amazing... and your odds of gettin no herms are....?

and your right i dont know what oregon is like.... but your plan doesnt seem like it would work in most places in the world... JMO

JustAnotherAntMarching said:
and your right i dont know what oregon is like.... but your plan doesnt seem like it would work in most places in the world... JMO

I'm genuinely curious, why wouldn't it? and is this your opinion or generally understood?

Speaking of hermis- sure, many would turn hermi, that's why I'd assume a 90% failure rate. Is there a reason why they would all turn hermi?

J2 I love your idea..but when they are ready to sex you would have to keep a very close eye..otherwise one male could polenate the whole crop and all you have is seed bud...not good smoke. not worth much. plus it could polenate every other crop around it by wind/bugs/animals etc.

Uhh Question? If your going to get 100 fem seeds why not get the proper set up and do an inside stealth grow?

Latest posts

Back