What's best way to keep weeds from growing underneath and into rose bush?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7greeneyes

MedicalNLovingIt!
Reaction score
So I was dumb and forgot to put some sort of weed barrier when I put my cocoa rose into the ground. It's really come back from last years transplant but unfortunately so has the weeds (mostly grass, it REALLY loves ocean forest soil...lol...)

I've removed the weeds and such from around the base but what can I use as an alternative to weed barrier? I've heard that's not a good thing but if it is lemme know. The only plants I can get to flourish is cannabis and veggies. Succulents and ornamentals suffer under my care despite my wholehearted efforts to make them flourish.

Thanks for the help. I know Rose will help if she sees this :)

My peeps have a good one.

That is a real problem huh.... I have one rose that i spend lots of time each spring pulling that grass out. The best thing I know 7g is to pull it by hand...wet the heck out of the soil and try to get the roots out....then I heap bark on top of my roses for a weed barrier. It works pretty well, except for that one. I usually mulch all my roses with bark in the spring. It helps a lot. Good luck... and if you can grow dank you can grow the rest... I know you can.

Is that Hot Cocoa? I love that rose.

yes Hot cocoa rose. When it flowers up I'll take some pics. :)

So like cedar bark or something I could get at Home De pot?

Try laying down newspaper and put ground cover (bark, pinestraw) down on top. If it is out of control get a peice of plastic not clear a black garbage bag works well.... split it to the center and place around the plant for a few days or weeks til it kills off the weeds........ make sure you remember to water it by hand til you remove plastic

That is a great idea, the newspaper before the bark..just a bag of bark from home depot will work. G13, i used to do newspaper on that one spot...great idea. If you put a weed block down and bark on top the weeds will grow on top of the bark... But the newspaper just breaks down...

thank you for the help Rose and Grower13. You rock :headbang: ! ..l.ol

Have a good one.

Latest posts

Back