Which brand for HPS??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorcalSMKR

Reaction score
I'vebeen looking on the forum (and the internet) for a side by side comparison/ review of major bulb brands, or even a preferred brand with no luck. They range from $10-$110+, is there really that much of a difference in performance between brands?

I usually look for the get 90% functionality for 10% of the price kind of shopper (not the super high end but not the cheapo either) any suggestions or comments are appreciated

your not gonna see any significant difference in output between brands. basically your paying for usable hours. some buy cheap bulbs and replace them more often. others buy expensive bulbs that last longer. either way it usually evens itself out as far as bang for buck goes

Check for lumen output you want the highest output you can get. I have seen cheap 600w bulbs with only 80,000 lumens, and others that output 95,000 lumens. Not all bulbs are created equal.

I'm with AM--I look for the most lumens when buying bulbs. I have purchased a whole lot of bulbs in my growing years, but have never noticed that the more expensive bulbs did better than inexpensive bulbs of like lumens.

Thanks for the responses guys! Just ordered a lux meter on the Internet, I'll let you know any results I find, starting with cheap bulbs and work my way to more expensive ones, about to go pick up some Phillips 400w hps.

Update: found the Phillips online and Home Depot did a price match-10.25$ each...hard to beat

The Eye Hortilux 1000 Watt HPS at 2100K is your best bloom bulb (performance VS cost) period. I've seen it on Ebay for $75 with free shipping. IF there's anything better it will cost substantially more than this one....

Just make sure you finish the last 3 weeks of your grow with the 10000K MH Enhanced Blue bulbs for added bud frosting and weight.

Latest posts

Back