Why Digital?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkSMaN

Reaction score
Hey fellow green keepers!!

I have a fairly deep background in magnetics but have been out of the game for the past years...I used to work for a lighting company back then, we were just starting on electronic ballast designs when I chose a different direction...

Just curious as to why the name is "digital" and not "electronic"? Is this some kind of marketing ploy done by the manufactures?

i would assume your talking about hid ballasts. as for the why they use digital and not electronic... it could be marketing ploy. or it could be a more defining name. you can have analog electronics.

Electronic ballasts are not the same as Digital Ballasts. Both ballasts share similar components but the electronic ballast does not have a brain. The electronic ballasts, Future Brite, Lumatek (the list goes on) regulate output voltage and current based upon fixed parameters, where the digital ballasts such as the Life Light Technologies Solar E-Ballast has a microprocessor that controls the output to the bulb. The Digital ballasts also communicate with the bulbs and report thier health, a feature the electronic ballasts wish they had.

So what difference does a microprocessor make? It makes a fair amount of difference. Digital ballasts won't attempt to light a bulb if it senses a failure. Digital ballasts are continually monitoring and checking the input and output voltage and current to maximize bulb life, color and illumination (brightness).

Hope this helps ..

Latest posts

Back