Why dont they make........??????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7thG

Victimless Criminal
Reaction score
adjustable ballasts'. Im about to buy a 250 watt digital....only cuz thats all i can really contain at the moment. But i know for a fact im gonna want to upgrade later on. And i have the money to get a larger one now.....so hopefully u see why this is a tough for me. If only they made a 1000 watt max ballast with a little dial for u to tune in exactly home many watts u need. But, until then, any electricians in here at the moment with a possible remedy???????

I would advise to check out the UFO LED before you make a major investment in light

I would assume that if they do not make adjustable ballasts that it just isn't possible. Why not just sell your smaller light when you get ready for a 1000W?

QUANTUM makes dimmable ballasts.

We mostly run our lights @ 70% for a while and up the wattage.
I don't know if they come in 400's. We use 600's.

Some Info (as per request):

hxxp://www.quantumhort.com/
hxxp://www.ncwgs.com/balasts_quantum.php​

The Effen Gee said:
Lumitek makes dimable ballasts.

We mostly run our lights @ 70% for a while and up the wattage.
I don't know if they come in 400's. We use 600's.

Wait where u find those at Gee. Is it all Lumitek's.
Also, it wouldn't be possible to hook up like a dimmer switch between the ballast and the bulb?

aslan king said:
I would advise to check out the UFO LED before you make a major investment in light

Dont you haveto have the leds like right up on the plant ?

7thG said:
Also, it wouldn't be possible to hook up like a dimmer switch between the ballast and the bulb?

I kinda doubt it, that might confuse the ballast if its not getting enough energy back from the bulb, which wmight let it pump more electricity into the bulb when it doesn't need it, making things go POP!

I'm there with ya man, I now have a 250 watter a 400 and a 600 and a LED light because of the same problem, and I'll be moving this sumemr to a place where I could use 1000 watters, so yea, a dimming ballast would have been nice...

Before you even consider buying a ufo or any led for that matter, click the link in Blancolighter's signature, it is the most informative thread I have read on led's on this site.

I don't believe you could dim the power going to the ballast either, you would need to somehow dim between the ballast and the bulb. The item Effen has described sounds interesting, I wish I was more familiar with it.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I would assume that if they do not make adjustable ballasts that it just isn't possible. Why not just sell your smaller light when you get ready for a 1000W?

Cuz Im a horrible salesman.

I would just buy a used one off craigslist or ebay and save your money for a nice digital ballast when you are ready to upgrade.

7thG said:
Wait where u find those at Gee. Is it all Lumitek's.

No, you cannot do that. I don't want to explain why because it would take me the next 10 minutes.

mikepro88 said:
Dont you have to have the leds like right up on the plant ?

Not the UFO. It's directional so the light shines straight on the plant. Its a lot cooler than HPS or MH so you can put closer. You wouldn't need to- 80w puts out around 400w comparative output . 90w put out 600w comparative output. They are everywhere now. The run in the neighborhood of $1 per watt of output but you can find sales. they don't draw alot so you can plug up a whole surge protector of them and not flip a breaker. They are a gift from the Gods.

Remember, if you do go the LED route to do research and not just buy the UFO for its name blindly. There are quite a few LED systems out there that are better than UFOs for about the same amount of money, Like a Procyon or a TI Smartbar/lamp. Also, there are two generations of UFOs out, the older generation is very lacking in power, so make sure you know its a newer UFO if you go that route. The new UFOs are good products, just gotta be careful not to get an older version...

aslan king said:
Not the UFO. It's directional so the light shines straight on the plant. Its a lot cooler than HPS or MH so you can put closer. You wouldn't need to- 80w puts out around 400w comparative output . 90w put out 600w comparative output. They are everywhere now. The run in the neighborhood of $1 per watt of output but you can find sales. they don't draw alot so you can plug up a whole surge protector of them and not flip a breaker. They are a gift from the Gods.

There is no led on the face of this earth that can get you the yields of a 600hps.

If there were, I would be using them and making every grower believe they were a gift from god.

Not quite yet....give 'em a few years, they'll come up with soimethin.

I'm certainly crossing my fingers...

Latest posts

Back