Why lower leaf turn yellow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyinghigh

Grow Pretty Flowers
Reaction score
I am going into my 3 week of Veggie and have the lower leaf turn yellow on me and not for sure why.?

Jack Heirs
The 3 big ones where transplanted the other day and the same one where planted into there contains from seedlings.

400 watt conversion bulb for Hps. 18/6 and lites are on at night
soil is MG Organic
nut is FF grow big I am up to 1 1/2 teaspoon per gal
Ph is 6.8, water when the meter shows dry
have 2 bathroom for ventilation

11-23-09 003.jpg

Those plants appear to hate the "soil" you're using.
The back ones have stetched incredibly.
I would say they all need more light.

i think the stretch may be light distance related.... how far away is your light?

the yellowing could be ph related.... i'm growing a JH hybrid and it likes the ph between 6.2-6.4.... i get deficiencies quick if it goes any higher.... seems like the first thing i start to see is lower yellowing like you have....

Lite is about 10 inches away from the tallest plants.
I could try to lower the ph on those with the yellowing of the leafs...

My JH: running my ph at 5.6-5.8 in Botanicare organic soiless mix. Streached at first, now blowing up out the sides. Put the clones in veg on 11/10.

MindzEye said:
If your lite is 10 in away from that back plant then you dont have enough light for that grow area...

Doesnt look to me like they hate that soil, it looks like its time to add nutrients, it looks like basic Nitrogen deficiency this is why the yellowing is starting at the bottom.. I dont see twisted leaves so I wouldnt blame your PH...

I am at 1 1/2 teaspoon to a gal of water with FF grow big.
I feed once a week
temp at 70 to 80
lite is 400 watt conversion in a 3x3x6 so enough light..

i still say it's your ph.... a buddy of mine ran MG organic potting soil for a single grow, he was in a bind, and when he tested the ph of the soil itself it came back at almost 8.0..... if you're watering at 6.8, you're ph is too high and it's causing the nitrogen to get locked out....

if they were my plants, i'd start with with lowering your watering ph and, if possible, checking the ph of your soil mix.... if i didn't see any improvement within a week or so, then i'd try to up the fertilizer dosage.... i'd be cautious with the dosage though.... my experience with JH from Sensi was that it was pretty nute sensitive....

once again, just my thoughts though....

try switching mediums to foxfarm ocean forest or happy frog since you are using their nuts prob should give ya a great plant. I know it does here. happy frog ph balances itself so you dont really have to worry about the ph levels and water you put in...try using their feeding program and all nutrients like tiger bloom and big bloom and their solubles like open seasame/beastie bloomz/cha ching they really do work and last a long time.. take car and good luck...

Hello Flying :)

I agree with Flesh.

Have you checked your PH run off?

The tall one will more than likely be male.

The plant canopy need to be even with each other, so put something under the lower plants to raise them up so they are even.

Your soil looks too dry, soil meters tell you when the soil is dry, by the time you act on what the soil meter tells you, the soil is too dry.

You need to learn to read what the plant is telling you, if its leaves droop then it is thirsty.

You want the leaves to be like Y

Are you plants 3 weeks old?

:peace:

DRGREENTHUMB951 said:
try switching mediums to foxfarm ocean forest or happy frog since you are using their nuts prob should give ya a great plant. I know it does here. happy frog ph balances itself so you dont really have to worry about the ph levels and water you put in...try using their feeding program and all nutrients like tiger bloom and big bloom and their solubles like open seasame/beastie bloomz/cha ching they really do work and last a long time.. take car and good luck...

Guess now I know why its Happy Frog.

U are using MG organic and adding nutes to plants 3 weeks old. It just might be too much. I also agree that your lighting might need to be addressed,

+1 here with HIE on keeping an even canopy, the back, one/ones being male and pretty much anything else is recomended ever

Best Wishes
"P"

Best Wishes

No Some Idiot who is far from perfect Made a Honest Mistake

Sorry (how can I fix it)

Amber Dog said:
My JH: running my ph at 5.6-5.8 in Botanicare organic soiless mix. Streached at first, now blowing up out the sides. Put the clones in veg on 11/10.[/quote]

that will not veg them it will bud them which is why u have that tiny budding plant...veg is 18/6 or 20/4 usually ;) then 12/12 to bud...

DynaGlideGuy said:

Sorry (how can I fix it)
Ouch!...;) that happens every once in awhile, an "honest mistake".
...and HIE is not usually quite so quick to condemn ;), must been havin' a bad morning..
I can 'fix it' for ya' dyna'guy...

2dog...11/10 I think is the date "Nov, 11".. and not lighting.. ;)

your prob is that garbage soil. MG organic soil is complete junk, ive used it in a bind & well it cooked my plants. re-pot them asap. try & use something else other than MG. ph is way off & it needs alot of perlite, not to mention all the huge chunks of bark. this will set you back prolly 3 wks, but its better than losing them. GL. if quality soil is not available then look into possibly coco from pet store. you will have to prep coco b4 planting however, flush & soak w/ ph'd water w/ cal/mg. 4ml/gal

HippyInEngland said:
Hello Flying :)

I agree with Flesh.

Have you checked your PH run off?

The tall one will more than likely be male.

The plant canopy need to be even with each other, so put something under the lower plants to raise them up so they are even.

Your soil looks too dry, soil meters tell you when the soil is dry, by the time you act on what the soil meter tells you, the soil is too dry.

You need to learn to read what the plant is telling you, if its leaves droop then it is thirsty.

You want the leaves to be like Y

Are you plants 3 weeks old?

Hay Hippy, no I haven't check my run off, but I will today.

As for the tall one you say might be male will it looks more like a female with the side thorns crossing but time will tell..! But I do have another one that the same size and it looks more like a male.

I use a moister tester and it wet at about the middle and dry on top so I don't want to over water.

Yea 3 weeks and the small ones are weak.

DynaGlideGuy said:

No worries DynaGlideGuy.

We all make errors by accident.

I apologise for being snappy, 4 hours sleep and I'm still a bit groggy.

We do not have a problem :)

Latest posts

Back