Why Transplant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllusionalFate

Winter Madness
Reaction score
I don't know why people do this. It causes stress, and restricts air flow to the roots since you have to pack down the soil before transplant. I could understand if you want to switch the soil medium from something that's better for seedlings to a "hotter" soil, but I do that easily even when planting directly into 5 gallon pots -- all you have to do is simply fill the pot with the soil you'll be using for post-seedling stage while leaving 2-3 inches of room above it to layer with Light Warrior or whatever for the roots to grow into as a seedling. That way all possible stress is avoided, the roots don't have to be exposed to light, and the soil can remain loose and root-friendly.

If you can transplant without disturbing the rootball, that must be some firm soil!

I start off my seedlings in a 1 gallon pot eventually looking to move them into 3-5 gallon pots, depending on size. The reason why I do NOT start them off in bigger pots is b/c the surface area to light is expanded with bigger pots. Although I have the space for big pots I dont have enough light to feed 6 seedlings with more soil.
I do not like transplanting either....believ eme.

??.. Why would you "have to pack down the soil before transplant" ?? I use FFOF + 10-15% perlite. The rootball almost 'always' slips right out of the pot without losing a teaspoon of medium. I don't "pack" the soil in the bigger pot either. I scoop up or fill the new pot 2/3 to 3/4 full, pick it up and bounce it on the floor a few times to 'settle' the soil, set the plant in and fill in around it.
I seldom see any 'noticable' shock.
As Afghan said, it's a waste of light and space to put seeds in 5 gal buckets. I prefer florescents for starting seedlings. I can start a dozen under a single 4 foot set of 40 watt tubes. I would have to run a 1k hid to start that many in buckets.
Those "custom mediums" (soils) like FF and promix, aren't real expensive, but they aren't cheap either. If I started a dozen seeds, and half are male, I've wasted about $20 worth of dirt on males.
I also believe that smaller pots are easier to control and monitor moisture content for smaller plants.
Transplanting 'shouldn't' be a stressfull event, if done properly.. IMO.

i just let em grow till i see roots in the drain holes then it all comes out in a nice ball the shape of the old pot. set it on the soil in the new pot an fill around it

Hick said:
??.. Why would you "have to pack down the soil before transplant" ?? I use FFOF + 10-15% perlite. The rootball almost 'always' slips right out of the pot without losing a teaspoon of medium. I don't "pack" the soil in the bigger pot either. I scoop up or fill the new pot 2/3 to 3/4 full, pick it up and bounce it on the floor a few times to 'settle' the soil, set the plant in and fill in around it.
I seldom see any 'noticable' shock.
As Afghan said, it's a waste of light and space to put seeds in 5 gal buckets. I prefer florescents for starting seedlings. I can start a dozen under a single 4 foot set of 40 watt tubes. I would have to run a 1k hid to start that many in buckets.
Those "custom mediums" (soils) like FF and promix, aren't real expensive, but they aren't cheap either. If I started a dozen seeds, and half are male, I've wasted about $20 worth of dirt on males.
I also believe that smaller pots are easier to control and monitor moisture content for smaller plants.
Good points!

I also use FFOF, and although I have never tranplanted I get the feeling that if I tried all that would happen is the soil would crumble to the floor. The soil leaked out of the drainage holes a bit, so if it is loose enough to leak through a few small holes then I can't imagine how it would stay compacted in the shape of a pot. That's why I assumed soil is packed down before transplant.

I guess it all depends on what you have to work with. I'm about to start a 10 plant grow in two closets, and the closet that will be used for flowering can fit 8 pots so I probably won't be filling the space anyways once the males show. I probably will end up wasting maybe a bag or two of Ocean Forest, and have to use more light than needed earlier on to cover the space, but I think it's worth it to avoid the hassle of transplanting. The following grow though will be in a single larger room, so I will most likely have to transplant to ensure I can get maximum plants flowering in that area after the males are removed.

Hick said:

..good point, and if watering a plant properly, till there is run-off...your also wasting ferts, water, etc...and if not,(just watering around a seedling) uneven watering will cause uneven settling in the pot, uneven distribution of h2o and ferts...wow, lotsa stuff. I've always started in 18oz light proof cups, and transplanted to 2.75 gal containers, where they would finish.

I have a couple cuts hardening off for outdoors. I used one for a couple pictures.
the rootball removed from the pot.
the dirt that was dislodged and lost.
the same plant, back in its home.

dsc00139.jpg

dsc00140.jpg

dsc00141.jpg

Latest posts

Back