will i have heat problems?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flowers.mike

Reaction score
Hi

I recently bought a 600hps for my grow box, its a galvanised steel box 5ft highx 3ftx3ft, ive got two girls in there flowering at the moment, but getting ready for 10 more for veg soon , Im looking for advice for air intake and temp issues, Could anyone pls give me any advice on the best fans to be using,

inline with exhaust, im assuming, looking to purchase them tomorow so any advice would help,

One more thing, whats the best insulation techniques for those pesty choppers over head and venting tips??

cheers

I use a vortex for exhaust...is this 600 a cool tube..or open reflector? Thats a good light for the space..as long as we get the temps in order..its all in the air exchange my friend...try getting a 435cfm placed at the top of box...and a small intake hole in bottom..the vortex will draw fresh air threw hole and also pull heat out of box..and also place a asculating fan in with them..Hope this helps..take care and be safe

Ok thanks, but ive just made a grave mistake i put my 2 girls in the box with the 600hps open reflector for a couple of mins, with a oscillating fan shut the door for no longer than 10mins as i tried to fix some sheeting and totally wilted the plants, the look fucked, gutted.........

Ive taken them back out and put them back under my cfls for the time being to see if they will stand tall again, Im such a total novice,

Ok so is my galvanised box a ok size, as the heat on the box was immense, but im assuming thats because i didnt have a exhaust fan on there, back to the store.

I was hoping to keep costs down as im running very close to my budget, do you think that fan will be enought {435cfm} to keep the temp down and stop me cremating the next lot?? Or should i build a bigger house out of wood??

its all in the air exchange my friend...also please go back and edit the foul language in you last post..That is against the rules here..and could cause you more problems then the heat in you box...you said galvanized box? why galvy? im thinking this is going to conduct heat as well...when you plants get larger they will be touching the sides of the box..if they are hot..the Ladies wont like it..just my thaughts...when tou hook up that exhaust and intake...place a temp gauge in there and turn on..test run the box empty for 24-48 hrs to be sure you have them temps under control..good luck

take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

flowers...i am thinking you would be better off with wood than the metal...either way...you need a can fan not an inline fan...the bigger the better to get rid of heat....temps will be high with the 600 watt open reflector and don`t forget the passive intake hole (s)

4u2sm0ke said:
I use a vortex for exhaust...is this 600 a cool tube..or open reflector? Thats a good light for the space..as long as we get the temps in order..its all in the air exchange my friend...try getting a 435cfm placed at the top of box...and a small intake hole in bottom..the vortex will draw fresh air threw hole and also pull heat out of box..and also place a asculating fan in with them..Hope this helps..take care and be safe
hes got the right idea :)

If you are pressed for money, I use one of the bathroom exhaust fans in my mother/clone room and it works perfect for the space. It was $15 at the home depot, and it was the smallest they had (50cfm) My space was over 90 deg F with an inline fan and with this bathroom exhaust it stays below 78.

hanfhead said:
If you are pressed for money, I use one of the bathroom exhaust fans in my mother/clone room and it works perfect for the space. It was $15 at the home depot, and it was the smallest they had (50cfm) My space was over 90 deg F with an inline fan and with this bathroom exhaust it stays below 78.

yes you are right...i use that in my " Male chamber" but i run cfl's in there..this member is running 600HPS...:confused:

Yes, you are correct. I only have 175w MH and a couple T5s to cool in mine (mother/clone room). But there are larger of the same kind of fan for not much more money. I just know my can fans were like 150 for 4" and almost 200 for the 6" and he said he was close to budget.

JonnneyB said:
flowers...i am thinking you would be better off with wood than the metal...either way...you need a can fan not an inline fan...the bigger the better to get rid of heat....temps will be high with the 600 watt open reflector and don`t forget the passive intake hole (s)

I wouldn't agree with the need for a can fan. Inline fans such as Mixvent 800CFM inline fans will certainly provide sufficient ventillation.

4u2sm0ke said:
yes you are right...i use that in my " Male chamber" but i run cfl's in there..this member is running 600HPS...:confused:

I ran one for years with a 400w hps in a cupboard grow, with passive intakes. probably helped it was flood drain with a 50ltr reservoir underneath.

Ambient temperatures were 30c.

So you guys think some thing as big as a 800cfm is needed or can i go smaller, Ive decided to get rid of that box and use a wardrobe, 6ftx3ftx2ft, so i think the light will be fine just dont want heat probs, In europe so cfm means?? ours are mm diameters does that make a diffence or the same.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back