Will you Donate for a new Shout Box or Chat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you Donate for a new chat and a private area for paying members?

• NO I will not

• Yes I will Donate $5 Yearly

• Yes I will Donate $10 Yearly

• Yes I will Donate $15 Yearly

• Yes I will Donate $20 Yearly

• Yes I will Donate more then $20 Yearly

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like this site, I would donate for it. I have never used it, however, it seems to be a hot topic and everyone seems to like it......alright, im in.

With Paypal the sender and buyer swop details, the Paypal account would need to be made fake both ends, after £500 has been fed into a Paypal account they run checks and make the Paypal account holder become verified, I presume this is the same in the US, a better option would be for MarP or someone MarP knows to open an account (if secrecy is an issue or safety etc) and we could pay into the account with pre paid C/C or go to our local (or out of town) bank and ask them to wire cash to an account, or here in the UK go into any bank branch and ask at the desk for a payment slip to pay into an overseas account, every problem has a solution (im not saying this one is it :rofl:), do not ever think your stuck in a corner with no escape.

on my web site customers have a choice of using "yourpay"

or printing out a form and mailing payment to a PO box.

plus - I never worry about using my CC when purchasing seeds from out of country....

I dont not care for pay pal.

and I would joyfully pay $20- a year to be a member of this site!:D

I personally don't care about the chat box myself. I only used it on a couple of occassions. However, I did vote that I would pay $5 per year. Peace RBH

I'm a bit skeptikal that this is only about a shoutbox, after all a shout box is FREE! I own the same type of vbulletin forum and it's as free for me as it is for the owners of this site. Furthermore I'm very skeptical because this thread was not created by staff from this site, mind you an admin should be asking these kind of questions. I don't like chatbox and/or shoutbox!!! NO NO NO bad idea in my oppinion!

I don't like having to pay for access because I find that it's hypocritical. In essence this site has so much content because of people opinions, that they gave this site for FREE! Now you will charge the same people that contributed to the site? Or better yet, you make money from the people that contributed the site by asking for money to the people that join?

Forcing someone to do something is a very bad idea!

The only reason there's this much content is because people can find you easily with google. The only reason you can be seen with google is by having access (publicly, the site must be crawled by googles search engine!) to public areas. Thus if you restrict access to content, you shoot yourself in the foot.

Another reason why I'm against this is because it creates 2 tiers of people. The elite (the few people that can and/or want to pay for it) and the rest of the people that you don;t care about. :(

I love this site the way it is because of the way that it is. This seems like a business (when charging money) as opposed to something fun that's cool to follow up on.

Let people donate if they wish, but leave it @ that or better yet honor them in a thread of appreciation and mention it in a newsletter or something.

White Widow said:
Furthermore I'm very skeptical because this thread was not created by staff from this site, mind you an admin should be asking these kind of questions. I don't like chatbox and/or shoutbox!!! NO NO NO bad idea in my oppinion!

Correct, I started this thread after many chats in member posts and it culminated in me writing this post and putting it in the site suggestion 'Box', the suggestion has been moved to the coffee table for more exposure, as for your comment on the shout saying in your opinion its bad, well thats exactly what it is, your opinion and everyone is entitled to an opinion, your new to this site (5 days old), you have no idea what happened before you arrived :)

Welcome to the forum :aok:

Hey WW why would you have to pay for access to the site? Who would be forcing you to donate?

NOBODY!

This site is FREE and will always be FREE for our members. This is a poll that's all that's it. This would not only include the shoutbox but a upgrade of the entire site as well if i'm not mistaken. I'll have MP chime in just to clear things up with you that have a problem. ;)

The Brothers Grunt said:
This site is FREE and will always be FREE for our members. This is a poll that's all that's it. This would not only include the shoutbox but a upgrade of the entire site as well if i'm not mistaken. I'll have MP chime in just to clear things up with you that have a problem.

MarPassion said:
This forum will always be free but we can give paying members more privileges then regular members. Like a chat, a bigger pm inbox, browsing the forums invisible, own forum and other cool things things we can come up with.

It would be good to hire a proffesional and get this forum installed on a highly optimized and amazing fast server. That would be a dream :)

So, lets hear your vote.

right out of the mans keyboard its-self ;) as for me i like Runbyhemp didn't use the chat box too often, though it was sometimes fun to sit and see what others were talking about ;) or who :giggle: i can see why it is missed it was faster than having to reload a thread to see if there were new posts and such. I also voted that i would donate to the site if need be there just are not other MJ forums that come relatively close to being as chill or safe as this one and if its a faster server and more memory that we need then so be it ill contribute plus as it was said an exclusive area for these members sounds like a reward for participation in the donation process, not a elitist huddle to keep others out.

WW, the thing with the chat / shout box is that is takes a lot of server resources thus making the site slower for browsing. I'm not a professional webmaster, I started this site as a hobby, so excuse my abilities to run this forum /site. I feel I need expert advice / help to optimize the server and get the most out of it. The host I have now can't even help me with it so I'm stuck with it now. They told me it's not possible to update MySQL and PHP version on this server, that's why I cannot update the forum software.

I still have a contract with the hosting until 2009, so still about another year which cost me 120 Euro a month to run.

My personal opinion is that we have enough server power to handle the current load but i think some settings on the server doesn't allow us to take full advantage of the server and that's why it's slow sometimes.

I need expert advice to optimize ther server or information what would be best to do. These guys are expensive so, that why this whole donation thing came up. If we want to move further it will cost money. A new hosting will cost extra money because i have to pay still the current one until 2009.

So, lets hope that explains it a bit to you all.

Thanks for all the people that are willing to donate. That's cool guys.

Count me in!!!!!..I MISS THE SHOUT BOX and would pay to have it back.I liked it for the 'good morning coffee'.....

HippyInEngland said:
With Paypal the sender and buyer swop details, the Paypal account would need to be made fake both ends, after £500 has been fed into a Paypal account they run checks and make the Paypal account holder become verified, I presume this is the same in the US, a better option would be for MarP or someone MarP knows to open an account (if secrecy is an issue or safety etc) and we could pay into the account with pre paid C/C or go to our local (or out of town) bank and ask them to wire cash to an account, or here in the UK go into any bank branch and ask at the desk for a payment slip to pay into an overseas account, every problem has a solution (im not saying this one is it :rofl:), do not ever think your stuck in a corner with no escape.
No credit card or financial details are made available to the receiver when using Paypal, so where exactly is the risk?

Forcing someone to do something is a very bad idea!

woah woah woah waoh waoh.... slow down dea' scoota'! no one is forcing anyone to do anything. no need to blow this out of the water.

the monies will be for a secure shout/chat and better features is all.

IllusionalFate said:
No credit card or financial details are made available to the receiver when using Paypal, so where exactly is the risk?

its paypal freezing the accounts....havent you heard about paypal? if they even SUSPECT that it might be illegal then they have the right to seize all monies. been putting alot of pipe sellers, bubble bag sellers etc on ebay out of business with no dough

thats so nuts. whats next gonna charge me with talking about mj across state lines. one wouldn't think that just talking about something online would be a crime. i can see the head lines already. Internet Site charged with possesion of knowledge with intent to distribute. nuts just nuts. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back