Will you Donate for a new Shout Box or Chat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you Donate for a new chat and a private area for paying members?

• NO I will not

• Yes I will Donate $5 Yearly

• Yes I will Donate $10 Yearly

• Yes I will Donate $15 Yearly

• Yes I will Donate $20 Yearly

• Yes I will Donate more then $20 Yearly

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
trillions of atoms said:
its paypal freezing the accounts....havent you heard about paypal? if they even SUSPECT that it might be illegal then they have the right to seize all monies. been putting alot of pipe sellers, bubble bag sellers etc on ebay out of business with no dough
That's completely different as that's about purchasing illegal products using paypal. All we would be doing is transferring money to a person, Paypal isn't going to magically know that "Jim Smith" (plug any name in there) runs a LEGAL cannabis discussion forum.

IllusionalFate said:
That's completely different as that's about purchasing illegal products using paypal. All we would be doing is transferring money to a person, Paypal isn't going to magically know that "Jim Smith" (plug any name in there) runs a LEGAL cannabis discussion forum.

I see what you are saying but Im not worried about "Jim Smith" what I am worried about is can LEO find out I "Me" sent "Jim Smith" money and then find out who "Me" really is.
Ive posted alot of grow pics on this forum and I would have to know there was no way anyone would know where the money came from.

Sounds good to me, I've unfortunatley missed the live chat and think it would be a great addition to add. I think at 5$ a year its still a great deal for all the knowledge this site contains. But we should also think about how many new members we would'nt get if they could'nt access all the cool parts of this site. Something to think about, count me in on the idea guy's!! Peace and love!!
Roken.

THE BROTHER'S GRUNT said:
Hey WW why would you have to pay for access to the site? Who would be forcing you to donate?

NOBODY!

Point taken, but read the first post, especially the first sentence and tell me how it looks? Tell me it doesn't look like he is not asking for 1$ for access!?!

HippyInEngland said:
Hello

If Admin charged $1 to join the site and asked all current members to pay $1 it would pay for an upgraded server and the shout could come back, people who refuse to pay can still use the site as guests, and only paid members could access the whole site, shout included (guests can see the shout but not join in), a 'donation' of $1 per year is not a bad idea, no spammers would pay to spam, banned members would not keep paying $1 to come back just for a rant then get banned again, im fully willing to 'donate' $1, $1 is a gesture of willingness to help the site out and the 'donation', we could word it as a 'donation', to further the education of future growers (thanks Banjo :aok: )

• 2 tiers ... Elite and the people you don't care about!
  • First sentence of the original post prooves my point

HippyInEngland said:
your new to this site (5 days old), you have no idea what happened before you arrived :)

Welcome to the forum :aok:

More elitism! How do you know that I'm new to this site? Because of what it says up there ^^ ROFLMAO. What if I have another account and I just lost my password and don;t have access to the email I registered with? Hmmm what if ... I have several accounts because I rather keep several projects separate to not be tracked so easily! ;)

Me being here 5 days ago or 5 years ago has no bearing on this conversation. I'm here now and your asking about a presently discussed topic! :rolleyes:

What I didn't like is that you make it seem like money is needed to get a shout box. That's a separate topic then donations. I'm actually not against donating but what I am against is having to pay for other peoples opinions. We aren't for the most part scientists with degrees in growing weed. We just say what we think is right leaning on past experiences and hope it's the right information. If everything remains free, then I would be glad to donate. If you give perks to donating like access to special areas and content, especially if it's content that was created with peoples opinions I think it's not right to make money off of that and it's not a donation anymore. Let's say it like it is, it's then paying for access.

Also, I don't appreciate some people trying to flame me a bit for being the devils advocate. It needs to be said and I bet allot more people feel the same but rather not say it because they might feel like people will be harsh on them. Me well, I'm ready so I'm not gonna get pushed over for saying what I think is right.

Sorry home slice :cool:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

MarPassion said:
WW, the thing with the chat / shout box is that is takes a lot of server resources thus making the site slower for browsing. I'm not a professional webmaster, I started this site as a hobby, so excuse my abilities to run this forum /site. I feel I need expert advice / help to optimize the server and get the most out of it. The host I have now can't even help me with it so I'm stuck with it now. They told me it's not possible to update MySQL and PHP version on this server, that's why I cannot update the forum software.

I still have a contract with the hosting until 2009, so still about another year which cost me 120 Euro a month to run.

My personal opinion is that we have enough server power to handle the current load but i think some settings on the server doesn't allow us to take full advantage of the server and that's why it's slow sometimes.

I need expert advice to optimize ther server or information what would be best to do. These guys are expensive so, that why this whole donation thing came up. If we want to move further it will cost money. A new hosting will cost extra money because i have to pay still the current one until 2009.

So, lets hope that explains it a bit to you all.

Thanks for all the people that are willing to donate. That's cool guys.

Now this! is brilliant!
Thank you for explaining the position the site / host / and the current situation. I understand more were your coming from.

I have a few suggestions which you can implement yourself which will utilize less resources thus the addition of a shoutbox shouldn't make the site abnormally slow.

I would also suggest to not get "stuck" and/or feel "stuck" with this situation. What I would do is complain. I would complain, complain complain complain. Every were I could but mostly were it would hurt the most. To who? Ah well, this is a legitimate site, which you own and is your property's. NEVER let someone treat you differently. That said, I would talk to the host again. If the hosts doesn't listen, get in touch with his/her supervisor and go up the ladder until the situation changes. If that doesn't work I would complain to my local better business bureau. I would host pages with my complain and make it visible to google. You have a good position so lot'sa people will see it which should shame them into giving you better service/support. If that doesn't work I would post it on all the hosting forums I could find including digital point which is one of the leading forums discussing hosting.

Lat but not least I would ditch this **** hosting ASAP! I would procure a VPS were you have full root, in essence the whole server is yours thus your not limited to anything but your imagination. You can purchase one fr 30$ a month with 30GB of space and a silly amount of bandwidth. Move the site. But how I'm broke? Ah! now we have to get creative. Give something back to the people for there funds ... write a short ebook about your experience being a weed wed master, sell it for a 1$ you know. There's tonnes of stuff you can do bro, raffles, 50/50 lotteries, It's limitless all you gotta do is sit down, Smoke a good spliff think about it for awhile and the ideas will flow. I usually get the best ideas for my online projects when I'm in the washroom lol, blazing a spliff. Always keep a pen and paper in there just in case!

The point is, Your not alone, but you do need to be creative. You creating this site was you being creative, don;t let it stop there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back