worried about missing harvest window

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

depetreono

Reaction score
I'm in week 9 entering week 10. My problem is my trichs are still not at a 50/50 amber to cloudy ratio. Should I still trust in the trichs and ignore the time frame. Or is this just maybe from the strain of plant and it want get any more amber. This is my first harvest and just tryin not to mess up. Please help and thank you for any advise.

Ok. I think impatience is starting also with this long flower period. Is there anything I can do to decrease it on my next grow.

depetreono said:
Ok. I think impatience is starting also with this long flower period. Is there anything I can do to decrease it on my next grow.

Nothing short of inventing a time machine lol

I agree with Puffin; you don't want them to over-ripen. Some trichs in some strains don't turn amber until after the heads fall off and the trichs have degraded.

Yes, most harvest before the 50/50 mark on the trichs...I do! Also, remember that black trichs means degradation....

Thanks guys. I'm ganna harvest with less amber I rather not risk losing potency

What plant are we talking about? Sativa's can take forever but I wouldn't want 50 amber either. Sounds really close!

Hey guys; I just read an interesting article in High Times magazine. Its called "A Time to Reap" by MelFrank. This is a very interesting and well backed up article on proper harvesting. In it he talks about trying to reach maximum CBD levels before harvesting.

In it he says that for plants grown indoors we should not try to get much, if any amber trichs as the ambering of trichs is actually caused by the degradation of THC and not the building of CBD. He says that CBD is not created by degrading THC, but rather it is created by the plant in the same way THC is created as a result of genetic predisposition.

Frank says that outdoor grown plants will have considerably more milky and amber trichs at peak harvest but for the plants grown indoors, one should look for more of a 50/50 clear to milky at peak of resin production.

Now I am not endorsing this as gospel as there are many theories and opinions, and there is a lot of experience here at The Passion that cannot be dismissed. This guy sites a lot of scientific studies and is the author of one of the first MJ grower guides. The article is in the November 2011 issue of High Times. I think its worth a read. I intend to do a little bit of "unscientific" experiments to test this for myself. :)

i would love to know a lot more about cbd's. Are they vaporized the same as thc? If so why do they tell you to use the leftovers for topicals?
Do indica's need to get more amber then sativa's? yes, I think so but not scientific... we need more studies on cbds.

I don't trust High Times much anymore...

Do you have some pics of your plants? Do you know the strain? Sativa dominant strains are not going to be done in 9-10 weeks.

It's Shiva. Which from what iv read is a hybrid. I took a sample harvest off one plant about two weeks ago which had ne denseness to it so I'm worried about takin it to soon and haveing fluffy weed or takin it to late and loseing potency.

As i remember (correct me if I am wrong), but you started flowering with T8s and were quite a bit underlit for the first 4 weeks or so weren't you? This could well affect your harvest time.

Where did you get your seeds? Shiva should actually finish fairly fast.

You are correct. And the seeds I had delivered from a local disp.

depetreono said:
You are correct. And the seeds I had delivered from a local disp.

....so really (unfortunately), they could be anything....

What do the leaves look like? Can you post up some pics?

All I have is pics from veg. I'll try to get posted. You seen the mother in another thread I starter.

This is directed to everyone... Should I go with the advise from the high times article. Bc this is an indoor grow. So should I just harvest now bc most all buds are either fully cloudy or at a 50/50 of cloudy to clear trichs.

I can't say one way or the other on the High Times article as I just don't know enough about it. But I know the The Goddess knows her stuff, so I would trust her determination before HT. If you can get an up to date pic up then she can tell you more. Given the issue with the T8 lighting, that may have just thrown you off for a week or two.

I personally feel like the best level to pull at is about 60-80% cloudy trichs to get a nice up high, but if you want more of a body stone out of it, letting it get to 100% cloudy/milky with 10-20% amber trichs is good for achieving that. But that will vary with the strain and phenotype.

At this point I don't think you have missed the peak and if you look at them once a day or every other day, you should catch the peak without a problem. I think peak harvest point lasts for several days or more depending on the strain and the environment. So even if you look at them every other day for another week or two, you will catch the peak harvest. :)

Yeah I want the body high to help me sleep. Or I stay up all night. But I think my 50/50 for amber was too high. I'm ganna go with the 10% you suggested. And it means less waiting lol.

Yeah, without knowing what strain it is and the particulars of it, I would say you have another week max. just keep watching every other day or every day if you want. :)

depetreono said:

Yes, buy seeds with a shorter, known, harvest time.

Latest posts

Back