Yellow Cover On DWC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepper

Peace Love & Happiness
Reaction score
Just built a new 27 galon dwc for flouring, the rez is black but the cover is yellow. Is it ok to have a yellow cover on the dwc rez?

Thanks, the unit is made of heavy duty plastic its built like a commercial bin, picked it up at Home Depot for 10 bucks 1/2 price off the retail price :D its on sale :cool2:

It will be hard for light to pass on to the roots, unsure if the color yellow was a bad color to have wile flouring.

It will be hard for light to pass on to the roots, unsure if the color yellow was a bad color to have wile flouring.

Light will be emitted, you need absolute darkness.
I have not found a paint that sticks to plastic,the nutes/moisture play havoc with paint sticking.

Light gets thru Home Depots orange buckets.

ive read that the color yellow attracts bugs. ill try and find that info.

anyone else heard of yellow attracting any bugs?

i couldnt find where i read the color yellow attracts bugs but it was when i was fighting bugs and i was using a Yellow spray bottle for my iso/h2o spray and i was paranoid.

you can cover it with Au Foil tape.

pcduck said:
Light will be emitted, you need absolute darkness.
I have not found a paint that sticks to plastic,the nutes/moisture play havoc with paint sticking.

Light gets thru Home Depots orange buckets.

Yes I know they are junk. The bins I picked up are not home depot brand, and they are 20 times + thicker material than the home depot buckets, they are rated to hold 750lbs, when you have some free time go to home depot and check them out I guarantee that you will buy at least 2 :D

Paint does not stick to plastic, if you have a plastic bin and want to paint it you will need to prime it first with Zinzer Bin primer its a shelac based primer the best on the market, then paint, the paint will never peel, crack, etc.

I have completely black buckets and lids no need to buy anything else.

I am just letting ya know if you don't have complete darkness in the rez, you are heading for problems in the future.

Super Silver Haze said:
ive read that the color yellow attracts bugs. ill try and find that info.

anyone else heard of yellow attracting any bugs?

you can cover it with Au Foil tape.

Interesting, but I dont believe the color yellow atracts bugs. I may just cover the top of the dwc with mylar.

pcduck said:
I have completely black buckets and lids no need to buy anything else.

I am just letting ya know if you don't have complete darkness in the rez, you are heading for problems in the future.

Yes I know, thanks.

So........have you been in a Strong Man Competition lately?????? If not you might want to think about figuring out a way to drain your res such as a release valve near the bottom. A 27 gallon container full of liquid is pretty damn heavy.

Easiest way for me was just wrapping the container in mylar and I have had 0 problems with having a white top to my container (no algae in roots), so I would imagine yellow not being a problem (although white reflects better)

NYC_Diesel x Jack_Herer said:
So........have you been in a Strong Man Competition lately?????? If not you might want to think about figuring out a way to drain your res such as a release valve near the bottom. A 27 gallon container full of liquid is pretty damn heavy.

:D The rez will be filled, and drained with a pump connected to a hose so the rez never needs to be moved. I driled a 1.5" hole on the lid so I can check my ph, water lever, and fill/empty the rez.

I bought one of these bins myself for my ebb&flo I just used some flat white plastic paint for the lid and it has worked great. I am using it for my Beef Steak tomato's right now. I am thinking about using it this winter for a indoor grow.
This bin has been great as the sediment has many grooves in the bottom of the res so my pump has not had to be cleaned yet.

Latest posts

Back