Yet ANOTHER thing to hold your breath for...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Effen Gee

Movin' on up!
Reaction score
Legalize It: Ammiano to Introduce Legislation Monday to Allow Pot -- and Tax It

By Joe Eskenazi,
Sunday, Feb. 22 2009 @ 5:00PM

The story SF Weekly broke on Fridayhttp://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2009/02/sf_sheriff_decriminalize_marij.php is true: Assemblyman Tom Ammiano will announce legislation on Monday to legalize marijuana and earn perhaps $1 billion annually by taxing it.

Quintin Mecke, Ammiano's press secretary, confirmed to SF Weekly that the assemblyman's 10 a.m. Monday press conference regarding "new legislation related to the state's fiscal crisis" will broach the subject of reaping untold -- and much-needed -- wealth from the state's No. 1 cash crop.

Mecke said Ammiano's proposed bill "would remove all penalties in California law on cultivation, transportation, sale, purchase, possession, or use of marijuana, natural THC, or paraphernalia for persons over the age of 21."

The bill would additionally prohibit state and local law officials from enforcing federal marijuana laws. As for Step Two -- profit -- Ammiano's bill calls for "establishing a fee on the sale of marijuana at a rate of $50 per ounce." Mecke said that would bring in roughly $1 billion for the state, according to estimates made by marijuana advocacy organizations.

hxxp://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2009/02/legalize_it_ammiano_to_introdu.php#

Legalize and tax, Prohibition would be over!
But....
isn't there some federal law that says states may not make laws contrary to federal law?
The Medical MJ inititive I think circumvents that, as it was an inititive and MJ is only used for medical cases. I am not a lawyer but I think this is why the feds dont hammer the medical MJ states more than they do.
Will be real interesting if the State Legislators actually pass a bill that legalizes use and sale of MJ. The DEA would be going bananas, but my local Sherrif would prolly give a huge sigh of relief, and the local Supervisors would be having caniption fits.
As usual, California leads the nation.
Thank goodness we all have experience holding our breath!
Thanks for the info Effen.

establishing a fee on the sale of marijuana at a rate of $50 per ounce."
Thats cheaper than the sales tax would be where I live for what I pay for an O. Roughly 5%.

tcbud said:
Legalize and tax, Prohibition would be over!
But....
isn't there some federal law that says states may not make laws contrary to federal law?
The Medical MJ inititive I think circumvents that, as it was an inititive and MJ is only used for medical cases. I am not a lawyer but I think this is why the feds dont hammer the medical MJ states more than they do.
Will be real interesting if the State Legislators actually pass a bill that legalizes use and sale of MJ. The DEA would be going bananas, but my local Sherrif would prolly give a huge sigh of relief, and the local Supervisors would be having caniption fits.
As usual, California leads the nation.
Thank goodness we all have experience holding our breath!
Thanks for the info Effen.

Yes. They can not tax it if feds don't approve of it. But once the door is open, its hard to shut when everyone wants to know how we're going to pay for stimulus and all the others expenses and what to do to stimulate the economy and create jobs. When there is an obvious solution, I don't think there's going to be to many alternatives that accomplish so much. Just my 2 cents.:ignore:

Here is a update from the site:

Monday, Feb. 23 2009 @ 11:21AM

Tom Ammiano's press conference this morning announcing his marijuana-legalization bill started punctually and stayed relentlessly on-point -- thereby denying a barb to every journalist present.
Ammiano and the assembled speakers at San Francisco's State Building also spoke calmly and methodically, at one point being drowned out by a floor-waxer. The famously funny lawmaker reined himself in, presenting "The Marijuana Control, regulation and education act (AB 390)" as a simple matter of fiscal common sense. If you believe Ammiano and his straitlaced panel, it is.

In a nutshell, here's what the bill would do: "Remove all penalties under California law for the cultivation, transportation, sale, purchase, possession, and use of marijuana, natural THC and paraphernalia by persons over the age of 21," "prohibit local and state law enforcement officials from enforcing federal marijuana laws (more on that later)" and establish a fee of $50 an ounce on marijuana on top of whatever pot will cost in a legal future - which legalization advocates say is about half what it costs now. This tax rate figures at about a buck a joint.

Ammiano addresses the crowd

Betty Yee, the chairwoman of the Board of Equalization, called Ammiano's proposal "a responsible measure on how to work out the regulatory framework of the legalization of marijuana." Her board's research indicated $1.3 billion in tax dollars could immediately head into the state's coffers from the fee on marijuana and the sales tax on medical pot. She figured the halving of marijuana's street price would cause a consumption increase of 40 percent, but the $50 per ounce levy would cut use by 11 percent.

Steve Gutwillig, the state director of Drug Policy Alliance, noted that regulatory measures like Ammiano's bill can work: Teen smoking is way down, and he claims juveniles report it is easier to obtain marijuana than purchase smokes. "Marijuana arrests actually increased 18 percent in California in 2007 while all other arrests for controlled substances fell," said Gutwillig. "This costs the state a billion dollars a year and taxpayers are footing the bill. Meanwhile, black marketers are laughing all the way to the bank."

But the morning's most forceful speaker was Judge James P. Gray, who retired from his 25-year post on the Orange County Superior Court six weeks ago. With his gray suit, tasseled loafers, and conservative salt-and-pepper haircut, he looked like central casting's offering for "Republican candidate for higher office." Not surprisingly, Gray did run as a Republican for Congress against Bob Dornan and Loretta Sanchez and Senate vs. Bill Jones and Barbara Boxer. He now says he's "not a politician - and I have the votes to prove it."

"I served 25 years on the bench and I've seen the results of this attempted prohibition. It doesn't make marijuana less available, but it does clog the court system," said the judge.
"The stronger we get on marijuana, the softer we get with regard to all other prosecutions because we have only so many resources. And we at this moment, have thousands of people in state prison right this minute who did nothing but smoke marijuana."

Gray noted that anyone who tokes up while out on parole can immediately be sent right back to prison, at great cost to the taxpayers.
"You and I as adults can go home tonight and drink 10 martinis. It's not a healthy thing to do but it's not illegal. Someone who smokes marijuana and goes to bed risks jail," continued the judge. "I don't smoke marijuana and if you legalized it today and gave it away at every street corner I'm still not going to. But the most harmful thing about marijuana today is prison - and also the most expensive. I take President Obama at his word - he said let's look at what's working and what is not, and jettison those programs that are not working."

Obama also wrote in his autobiography that he did "a little blow" and Ammiano is hopeful the new president will look upon this issue differently than his predecessor (it warrants mentioning that those fighting against torture and rendition also hoped that - and were disappointed).

Judge James Gray notes that quaffing 10 martinis is perfectly legal

Ammiano told SF Weekly that he doesn't expect his bill to pass "overnight," but doesn't see it as merely a "placeholder." As far as superseding federal law, he pointed to a similar bill recently introduced in Congress by Rep. Barney Frank; hopefully the law of the land will change. If not, Ammano hoped to exploit "fuzziness" regarding state and federal laws and the low priority this state has given to busting marijuana users entitled by Proposition 215.

He predicted that, in these dire economic times, "support will fall all over" for his bill.
Perhaps, perhaps not. But this much is certain: If Ammiano pulls this off, there's a place for him reserved on the Mount Rushmore of Pot Gods, right between Cheech, Chong, and Bob Marley.

The only way I can immagine mj becoming legalized would be simmilar to the end of alchohol prohibition. It may find a way to be legal for commercial production but not for personal growth.
If it was legal for personal grows the chances of an actual tax revenue for the gov. would be nill.
The average persons grow would still be illegal based on phony cocerns such as "Thc content",and other rediculous regulatory concerns.
The "chicken littles" of drug control will defeat any chance of legalizatiion by crying "think of the children" and "gateway drugs"
Not happy to burst your bubble but this never gonna happen !

cubby said:
The only way I can immagine mj becoming legalized would be simmilar to the end of alchohol prohibition. It may find a way to be legal for commercial production but not for personal growth.
If it was legal for personal grows the chances of an actual tax revenue for the gov. would be nill.
The average persons grow would still be illegal based on phony cocerns such as "Thc content",and other rediculous regulatory concerns.
The "chicken littles" of drug control will defeat any chance of legalizatiion by crying "think of the children" and "gateway drugs"
Not happy to burst your bubble but this never gonna happen !

Yes, you may be right BUT, no one said this was going to be a easy fight, all we are looking for is more exposure and always keeping MJ in the forefront. By politicians standing up to "chicken littles" and pointing out all the advantages of this "cash crop" they will have to make a decision either way, be it good or bad...
No bubble burst here, I am just happy that the snowball is getting a little bigger - besides, all the "chicken littles" are starting to shrivel up and die and pretty soon we will have alot of our "chicken strips" in office - it is already happening...

yumyumbubblegum said:
Yes, you may be right BUT, no one said this was going to be a easy fight, all we are looking for is more exposure and always keeping MJ in the forefront. By politicians standing up to "chicken littles" and pointing out all the advantages of this "cash crop" they will have to make a decision either way, be it good or bad...
No bubble burst here, I am just happy that the snowball is getting a little bigger - besides, all the "chicken littles" are starting to shrivel up and die and pretty soon we will have alot of our "chicken strips" in office - it is already happening...
this is exactly right.soon people with sense will be in office and not the slave driving god fearing people of today.thanks for the informative post effen and bubble.

yumyumbubblegum said:
LOL Chicken strips!!
An additional point that should be made in a state the size of california is the cost of maintaing a prison population that's growing exponentionally.
Even if the correction establishment is farmed out to private prisons the cost of incarcerating nonviolent MJ offenders just borders on the bizzar.:hairpull:

well its moving full steam ahead!!!!!!! its about time. pot ant bad, i stopped drinking my self an moved full time to being a smoker again. going back to basics lol.

Pot is bad, but if it makes us some money, it's okay with us. ***! What hyp:eek: ocrites the politicians are about this. If it saves our A$$, then we change our mind about it.:confused:

This wont work. Never.

how much of the cost of pot now is due to the fact that its illegal? if it is less than 50$/oz then we will all just be guilty of tax fraud because the natural market wont accept that kinda price. there will still be a black market, but it will shift to the white man's white collar market of dirty cpa's and so will the profits.

In my state almost 75% of the price of a pack of smoke is cause of taxes. they is something like 2oz of tobacco in a pack of smokes. that means that an equivalent 2oz pack of Mojo would cost around $250 assuming that it held to the rate of taxation as tobacco products. this means there is only $150 to go to transport, the store, and the grower for 2oz.

thats alotta bad math but its similar to what would happen.

i just think 50/oz is way too much to work. maybe 20 bones for <15% $40 for >15%

ill wait for a bill that has a section ok'ing personal growth.

People can grow tabbacco as far as I know, and brew their own brew so to speak but the majority of the people in this country have a "now" perspective. Look at fast food, and all of the other things that people get because it is faster. I think thatm yeah a few people here or there will try to grow it but give up in the end do to not wanting to wait and possibly the availability of top notch green.

You can but i dont think you can distill your own >40%. or something. i really cant remember. maybe you cant sell it cause of tax/distribution/production regulations or similar. maybe you'll be able to grow pot if its under 2000 lumen's/ftsq to lower thc%. who knows. the alcohol industry is 60% beurocracy and 30% taxation.

lotek said:
You can but i dont think you can distill your own >40%. or something. i really cant remember. maybe you cant sell it cause of tax/distribution/production regulations or similar. maybe you'll be able to grow pot if its under 2000 lumen's/ftsq to lower thc%. who knows. the alcohol industry is 60% beurocracy and 30% taxation.

Correct. Distilling liquor is still illegal,(once again i believe its to protect us from ourselves, because if done incorrectly it can really f u up) but its like anything else; the internet and a little wilpower can go along way. Moonshine baby! I swear on my mothers life, i don't care what state it was, but if it legalized mj i'd move there within a week, except for North or South Dakota, blah. I wonder what kind of sport would come from trafficking MJ, like NASCAR from bootlegging.

lotek said:

But even so, how would they enforce that? One of the reasons that people want to legalize it in the first place is to take those resources that we are wasting and put them to better use. They would have to a) find out IF you are growing b) take the time and waste the resources to come and spend more money and time testing your crop? It just doesn't seem that it would work. And as for the alcohol thanks for clearing it up, but we can maybe take the fact that high alcohol content is dangerous to your health and THC is not?

glad to here. i can see this as a very good thing, especially for those who don't want to grow there own (me). Wounder what the prices would come down to if this did pass. man i could imagine all the GREAT WEED that will be floating around. you know they would have to pass laws on a much bigger bases around Cali and it would have to expand. other states would be getting over run with flow of bud. which can be a down side to this cause they would play that to the masses but we all know its caused by it being illegal.

fellafrompocatella said:
Correct. Distilling liquor is still illegal,(once again i believe its to protect us from ourselves, because if done incorrectly it can really f u up) but its like anything else; the internet and a little wilpower can go along way. Moonshine baby! I swear on my mothers life, i don't care what state it was, but if it legalized mj i'd move there within a week, except for North or South Dakota, blah. I wonder what kind of sport would come from trafficking MJ, like NASCAR from bootlegging.
The sport already exists....competative eating lol...turbo munchies!:D

I got the turbo munchies now. 2 cookies down, what's next???

Latest posts

Back