pH issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
surreptitious said:
pepper: attached are some pictures. still need work, but they are getting better and this experience will make my next crop a better one.

i believe that after all this work...this will be the best stoned experience ever lol. who said potheads were lazy?

what i find odd is that i've done a lot of reading about this topic. especially hydroponics and i have not seen anybody say that if your pH drifts too fast up that you might not be feeding them enough.

i think part of the problem with me is that i have read a lot where people say over feeding your plants is the source of a lot of people's issues. i didnt want to overdue it. and in that, i under did it.

anyways. thanks again for your help. i'll keep you posted with some more pics soon.

Has I suspected you still have deficiencies, part of the reason being is that your nutes are still to low, the other reasons are your plants locked up due to the high and low ph swings + water temp being off.

Your plants are still a pale green, which is also a sign of low nutes.
I would also suggest you pick up some cal mag and add that to your current nutes at 5ml per galon = 1 tsp per galon, and in flower 10ml per galon = 2 tsp per galon.

Your current garden will recover there is no question there but you should accept the fact that this is only a trial run, a hands on experience training for your next garden, the longer you play farmer :D the better your garden will be.

serp that post on the nutes i gave you was copied from someone else. i truly use no ph up or down at all.

so whats up any update you getting t he hang of it

i think i am getting the hang of it, but still having some problems. currently my PPM is at 1500 and my pH is 5.7. i still think i'm having problems with pH. it started at 5.6 on monday and then 6.1 on tuesday and then 5.9 on wed, and now it's 5.7.

i've attached some pictures. i'm still getting burnt looking tips on the leaves. would this be caused by the fluctuation in the ph?

what i've done is clipped all the dead looking leaves and then topped the plants and now a week later this is what the leaves are looking like.

any advice would be helpful.

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

surreptitious said:
i think i am getting the hang of it, but still having some problems. currently my PPM is at 1500 and my pH is 5.7. i still think i'm having problems with pH. it started at 5.6 on monday and then 6.1 on tuesday and then 5.9 on wed, and now it's 5.7.

i've attached some pictures. i'm still getting burnt looking tips on the leaves. would this be caused by the fluctuation in the ph?

what i've done is clipped all the dead looking leaves and then topped the plants and now a week later this is what the leaves are looking like.

any advice would be helpful.

I think I mentioned somewhere on this thread that you would probably end up around 1600 ppm :D but dont forget the bigger the plant the more food you need to give it. Since you are just starting out it may make you feel more confortable to use a ppm/ec meter but the truth is you dont even need one, you will learn how to read the plants to the point were you will know exactly what it needs, more nitro, mag, etc.
I'll tell you a little secret :eek: I dont even own an ec or ppm meter :D because I dont need one, and you will get to that point to.
Its good to know you are getting the hang of things and I told you it is not easy :D you cant beat on the job training, nothing like the hands on experiance you can read until you are blue in the face :D but it is never the same has real life experiance, keep growing that ww and in about 1 year your garden will look so good that you will impress yourself.
Did you buy some cal mag plus like I sugested? If you did not get it yet pick some up, you will see your garden improve in a couple of days, I would start the cal mag plus at 5ml per galon that = 1 tsp per galon if your garden looks the same after 2 or 3 days add another 5ml per galon making it a total of 10ml per galon.
Has far has your ph goes, dont worry its were it should be.

Pepper:
I'm impressed brother...I too have cahnged over to DWC and having similiar problems. Cant afford the $200 PLUS METER SO I'M DEF FOLLOWING ALONG.
Ill post some more pics tommorrow and would appreciate any comments on mine Thanks
Didnt mean to jack this thread ~

the hydro store is over 2 hours away and i have not had a chance to make it down there to pick up the cal mag plus.

as soon as i can get down there i'll pick some up.

surreptitious,

I think some people over do the checking PH and/or PPMs and wind up chasing it up and down. Wide fluctuations in any thing, PH, nutes, light cycles or intensitiy, temperature of the solution and/or the air, are hard on any plant.

Also, assuming that you didn't try to adjust the PH on day 2 when it was up to 6.1 and that it came down on its own, I would ignore those small swings.
Also, several experienced growers have found that even in plain tap water, the PH will rise the second day and then drop back to where they set it on the first day, then stay stable. That is what your figures are doing.

Like has been said many, many times before in the forums, it isn't rocket science to grow mj -- if every thing was as critical as some people like to say it is, then we wouldn't have any mj because it would have become extinct thousands of years ago do to wide fluctuations in every aspect of the wild environment.

Also, what works for me going clones off of the same plant as yours came form on the same day, so the genetics are identical, will not necessarily give the same results for you regardless of how closely we try to duplicate conditions, media, nutes, lights, temp, humidity and so on.

If you get a good nutrient absorbsion chart shows at what PH various nutrient ions are absorbed, you will find that you can never have a perfect PH because some of them shut down before you get high enough to start another one absorbing. The best you can do is to try to arrive at a PH that lets the majority of them absorb and then add additional of the particular nutrient that asborbes poorly at that PH.

Relax and enjoy the growing as well as the smoking after you harvest. Good Smoking.

thanks don jones.

yes, after the pH was 6.1 i did not adjust. i let it ride.

it just bugs me that the leaves are continuing to show burning tips. i'm still doing something wrong and don't know what it is.

will the cal mag help this?

Once the tips are burnt they will always be burnt. A plant can not grow new tips just new growth

Cal/ mag helps the most during flowering when the plant is in need of more mag.

pcduck: ok, but a week ago i trimmed all the leaves that were burnt and now the leaves that werent burnt a week ago are slowly starting to burn. how do i fix it so that future leaves are not like this?

is there a certain nutrient that i'm missing? i'm using GH's flora nova and it should have all the nutes i need, right? should I increase my ppm with the nutes?

thanks!

no if yourr getting nute burn back the nutes off. get the ppm back to 1300 let it go for a bit. if it is still burning NEW GROWTH then back off againto 1200 you need to find what your plants can take. do this slowly

surreptitious said:
dr. pyro: so, the pictures shown is actually nute burn?

You do not have nute burn, and you never did so dont worry about that, what you do have is deficiencies, I will help you solve those problems step by step.
Damaged leaves very rarelly become healthy again, but the plant will naturaly try to repair itself, and you need to pay very close attention to this because it is very important, it means you are on the right track.

This is were experiance comes into play ;) and you to will get there it takes time a very long time to be a good grower, so be patient, "Rome was not built in one day" :D

Your plants are mainly lacking nitro, mag, and calcium the cal mag plus will not only help correct those problems it will also help your plant feed better, your plants are still not green enouth, you want your plants to be dark green, just look out of your window at mother Nature, and that is the green you want to see in your garden.

I would up the nutes 5ml a galon from were you are now, so if you are using 10ml per galon for example bump it up to 15ml per galon, and forget about ppm numbers, if I were you I would put that meter away, your eyes are the most acurate meter you could ever own.

pcduck said:
Once the tips are burnt they will always be burnt. A plant can not grow new tips just new growth

Cal/ mag helps the most during flowering when the plant is in need of more mag.

Cal mag plus should be used from day one, and not only in flower.
Many, many growers mistaken deficiencies for nute burn, I will say that probably 8 out of 10 times a garden will have deficiencies and not nute burn.

Pepper said:
You do not have nute burn, and you never did so dont worry about that, what you do have is deficiencies, I will help you solve those problems step by step.
Damaged leaves very rarelly become healthy again, but the plant will naturaly try to repair itself, and you need to pay very close attention to this because it is very important, it means you are on the right track.

This is were experiance comes into play ;) and you to will get there it takes time a very long time to be a good grower, so be patient, "Rome was not built in one day" :D

Your plants are mainly lacking nitro, mag, and calcium the cal mag plus will not only help correct those problems it will also help your plant feed better, your plants are still not green enouth, you want your plants to be dark green, just look out of your window at mother Nature, and that is the green you want to see in your garden.

I would up the nutes 5ml a galon from were you are now, so if you are using 10ml per galon for example bump it up to 15ml per galon, and forget about ppm numbers, if I were you I would put that meter away, your eyes are the most acurate meter you could ever own.

i will bump it up, but to make me feel better i'm still going to record pH and PPM daily.
i'm already at 15 ml per gallon. i should bump it up to 20 ml per gallon?

actually, just checked. i'm at a little less than 15ml per gallon...it's like 12. i'll bump it up to 15ml / gallon.

surreptitious said:
actually, just checked. i'm at a little less than 15ml per gallon...it's like 12. i'll bump it up to 15ml / gallon.

Yes bring it to 15ml per galon, and keep it there untill you get the cal mag plus, but get the cal mag plus asap, start the cal mag plus at 5ml per galon, when you flip to 12/12 bump the cal mag plus to 10ml per galon.

Its it fine if you use your meters for piece of mind, but do not rely on them, as your grow progresses takes pics for your logbook, and put a note on each pick of what you did to correct any problem you may have had, from nute deficiencies, etc.

Pepper said:
Cal mag plus should be used from day one, and not only in flower.
Many, many growers mistaken deficiencies for nute burn, I will say that probably 8 out of 10 times a garden will have deficiencies and not nute burn.

They may be how you use it but I believe in not using more additives than what the plant requires when it requires it. I have never had a mg deficiencies in veg only in flower. So why would I want to use something that is not needed till it is needed? I have seen a lot more nute burn from new growers trying to grow their plants to fast than I have seen deficiencies. Most deficiencies I have seen could have been corrected by having the correct ph and not by adding a bunch of additives. IME/O

Latest posts

Back