pH issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pcduck said:
get your ph right first before doing anything.

5.4 is on the low side. 6.1 is to high. 5.8 is what you want. If you are having wild ph fluctuations in your nutes, I would have to ask what are you using for ph adjustment and how are you mixing your nutes? A plant that is feeding normal should raise ph slightly. Are you allowing the buffers in your water to take effect before adjusting? IMO throwing more nutes/additives at a problem without proper ph is compounding the problem. Even in nature plants are not perfect, leaves yellow and die, do not form properly, ect.

i'm using the powder form of GH's pH up and down. what would you consider to be wide pH fluctuations? 5.4-5.5 to 6.1-6.2 over a week and half to two weeks...is that wild?

i mix my nutes with the distilled water, let sit for an hour or so, then i check the pH and adjust accordingly.

the reason why i have the pH low from the beginning was i thought that you wanted some swing from low to high to allow nutrients to be absorbed as different nutrients are absorbed at different pH's...is 5.4 to 6.1 too big of a swing?

dr pyro said:

see all that above look at the post count i shouldnt have to say any more.. but i will look at his posts. duck here is a very experienced grower. for the love of god please take his advice

i hear you!

also the twist and curl'd leaves only seem to be on one of the plants, not all of them.

MindzEye said:
Start your Ph at 5.8, top off water daily and check PH if it takes a week for your PH to raise that much then its pretty stable, just check your PH daily and keep it at 5.8 your plants will thank you for it....

ok, start my pH at 5.8. add water daily. check pH daily. if it's not 5.8 then use pH up and pH down to get it to 5.8? it's ok to do this daily?

MindzEye said:
The older leaves that are damaged will curl up and die then fall off, once the damage is done it cant be reversed.. Always look to the new growth for signs of burn and deficiency.

5.4 is out of range, your plants wont start to absorb magnesium until 5.8 PH and 6.1 is barely out of range... 5.8 is the optimal range not higher and not lower..

Refer to this Ph chart it may clear some things up

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1833&d=1141100090

ok, so the reason why i have a mag deficiency is because my pH has not been from 5.8 to 6.1 enough?

MindzEye said:
Cool, then you are just getting the first signs of improper PH, When I mix my nutes I adjust PH to 5.8 if you have to use PH up add it slowly and give it hours to raise then check PH again, PH down is much faster acting after just a few minutes it will adjust your PH down.. Then daily usually in the morning I top off water and check PH, usually only minor adjustments are needed to keep it at 5.8 PH.. And it is fine to do this every day...

are you adding a certain amount of water? or if you're using a 5 gallon rez you just top it off to 5 gallons?

my rez is like 15 gallons and i only put 5 gallons of nutes /water at a time.

MindzEye said:
Your plants are going to transpire and use water in your res the bigger they get the more they use, If you use 5 gallons of nutrient mix then mark where the water line is with 5 gallons in it, every day just fill it to that line...

i will do this. on wed i'm leaving on vacation and will be having a friend check on my plants. i will be gone for 10 days. i'm going to put 10 gallons (maybe more) of nutes / water in before i leave and i'll have him top off with water every morning and then adjust the pH to 5.9.

when i get back i will change out the res and start it all over. after that i would like to flower these guys and start another batch of clones and do it correct from the beginning this time.

MindzEye said:
Since you say you are so good at "reading your garden" you surley know the signs of improper PH, twisting and folding leaves is the first followed by nutrient deficiency.. Look at his pics there are twisting and folding leaves on the new growth.. If you think 5.4 PH is on then you need to study the PH charts, at 5.4 ph phosphorus, and magnesium are both locked out. At 6.1 PH Potash, and calcium are locked out. Potash has one of the highest absorption ranges on the chart, it ranges from 5.0-6.0 it very hard to have a potash deficiency.. If he does have a potash deficiency why are you telling him to use cal-mag? There isnt any Potash in it..

surreptitious- you have three experienced growers here telling you that pepper is leading you in the wrong direction, he has been trying to help you now for 1 month and 6 days and he hasnt helped you much, with your plants being as old as they are they should be huge or you should be in your 3rd week of flower by now.. I looked at pepper past posts and threads he started, he has never even posted a single pic of his ultimate meter free garden... He also stated he has 20 years experience with growing but look at some of the first threads he started, he asks the usual noobie question such as what should I buy, how should I set this up, what strains should I grow indoors, how long should I veg... He even has a thread about the new PH meter he bought found here
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40869

By looking at his past threads I have found several lies he has told all of us in this thread... See for yourself, click on his name then go to public profile then scroll down and hit find all threads started by pepper... A year ago he was a total noob... If I were you I wouldnt listen to a word this guy says...

Do these sound like questions a 20 year veteran would ask?

This just made my morning, thank you. You are to funny :D

I forgot more about growing than you will ever now in your lifetime. The posts that I have made were to get a feel for the people here on the site, and there are a few nice people here, including some very well known breaders ;)

Have you ever heard the term " play stupid and you will learn"
I find it interesting that you say Im a know it all, but the truth of the matter is that you should look in the mirror first, before you start to point fingers :D

If you have a problem with my posts send me a pm, dont turn the mans thread into a pissing contest (grow up) the man is trying to improve and he has done so, so keep your personal oppinions about me to yourself or pm only, respect the mans thread.

surreptitious said:
ok, start my pH at 5.8. add water daily. check pH daily. if it's not 5.8 then use pH up and pH down to get it to 5.8? it's ok to do this daily?

You should never adjust your ph when you first add nutes, the ph will change on its own, and a ph drift is good as we already went over that somewere on this thread.

I will now step to the side lines, I dont want your thread to turn into a pissing contest, I'm to old for that, this thread is about your garden and not about me, so best of luck in your grow, and keep up the good work ;)

Pepper said:
You should never adjust your ph when you first add nutes, the ph will change on its own, and a ph drift is good as we already went over that somewere on this thread.

I will now step to the side lines, I dont want your thread to turn into a pissing contest, I'm to old for that, this thread is about your garden and not about me, so best of luck in your grow, and keep up the good work ;)

thank you pepper. i appreciate your help

I find the larger the rez the easier it is to maintain ph when mixing.

This is my formula for mixing nutes. I use GH 3 part.

Fill rez with water and turn on air stones for 24 hours

After 24 hours add nutes and aerate for another 24 hours

24 hours later check ph and adjust. Aerate for 24 hours and check and readjust till desired ph level is achieved.

Once desired ph is achieved I put nute solution into my 5 gallon buckets at the 3 gallon level.

I allow the the nute level to drop to the 2 gallon level before adding ph adjusted water to top her off at the 3 gallon level again.

I am in the flower stage and my mix is a 6 micro, 14 bloom, and 2 cal/mag ml / gallon for a total of 22 ml / gallon. I will slowly be upping this till completion(except for the cal/mag). My ph ranges from 5.6 to 6.0 in a week before changing out all the buckets once a week.

ok, emptied the rez and put a fresh batch of nutes in. 10 gallons distilled water and 150 ml of GH flora nova grow series nutes. i adjusted with pH up to 5.8.

tomorrow morning i will top off the rez with distilled water then adjust the pH to 5.8.

on thursday i am going out of town and will not be back until december 2nd. i have a friend that is going to take care of my ladies until i get back. i will give him the instructions to top off the rez with distilled water and then adjust the pH to 5.8 each day.

when i get back i will empty the rez and put fresh nutes in. hopefully all will be well while i'm gone. after that i will analyze to determine if i can flower these ladies and go from there.

wish me luck. thanks again for everybody's help. see you in 11 days!

minds you hit the nail on the head i too looked back to see if there was a garden posted by the vet and nothin. surp with alll those additives you added im suprised you can still go on the trip. haha just kiddin hey have fun enjoy the holiday

MindzEye said:
Awesome! Have fun on your trip! Im sure if your friend maintains it well you will have a nice surprise when you get back!!

thanks!

dr pyro said:
minds you hit the nail on the head i too looked back to see if there was a garden posted by the vet and nothin. surp with alll those additives you added im suprised you can still go on the trip. haha just kiddin hey have fun enjoy the holiday

i didnt add anything! the only additive i used was clearex and that was just to flush them...it's not still in there.

thanks though, i'm looking forward to the time off.

ok, i am back from my trip and attached are some pictures of the progress...honestly i'm in shock.

i'm still getting some burnt tips, but that may be, because they havent gotten any new nutes in 11 days.

they have been drinking at least 1 and 1/2 gallons of water a day.

they are way to tall in my tent to flower right now and i will need to trim them. was thinking about trimming them and then hitting them with bushmasters.

suggestions? i really appreciate everybody's help and this regiment has worked!

IMG_0076.JPG

1234.jpg

IMG_0078.JPG

thanks mindzeye. yes, i'm definately going follow your advice about the trimming. i dont think i have much room to train much, but will take a picture when i get that all done.

what are your thoughts on bushmaster from humbolt county's own?

i also picked up some gravity and snow storm ultra by humbolt to use during flowering.

MindzEye said:
If you are getting burnt tips on leaves then your nutes are too strong, back off a little on the nutes, just 200-300ppms...

but since i've been adding water everday wouldnt the nutes be diluted already?

Latest posts

Back