cloning rules

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grass hopper

Reaction score
i wish some others would try this.... my wife has (3) times now put a throw away cutting in unph'ed water. PH about 7 .4 - 7.6.. all 3 times she put cuttings in a red solocup. the first 2 times she put the cutting in front of a window. the third time, under a home made cfl. NOTE; all (3) times the clones lived. MORE than that, not a single leaf died, turned brown or EVEN WILTED..these are the best results we have had with cloning, BY FAR.. when i mentioned this to the owner of the local grow store, he said "shhh, TELL NO ONE...and smiled... i will probably ph the water but my next cuttings are going this route..in 2 inches of water in a red solocup under cfls. 14 ON, 10 OFF lighting.. will let u know..

Awesome! That is how we have been doing it with other plants for years! Very cool! thanks.

Your wife must have some kind of green thumb. I have never ever been able to get cannabis to root like that. I do have great luck with some house plants, but cannabuts in a solo cup with water on a window sill--never. Neat that this works so well for you guys.

PHing water is mostly for nutrient uptake. I don't think there is any reason at all to pH the clone water unless it is way out of whack.

it depends on weather conditions, in dry climate like that at THG's area, I heard that it can get dry as hell, there is very little chance for a clone to root outside a dome. in cold climate, the rates go way down. I find that the best way is to place it in a dome with warm stable temps using cfl and moist airy medium with regular tap water. i clone dozens at a time and rarely lose a clone

I have a friend who used to do the same thing and got pretty decent results. he used the smaller cups and changed the water every other day with fresh. I cant do it that way but I think there are many small variables that affect that and make it viable in certain situations. :)

I have a fountain outside on my porch. Its a two tier,, so water falls and makes bubbles in the bottom section. I take clones/cuttings and set them in the bottom part of the fountain and whatever i put in there roots like crazy. Haven't done any weed like that since I left Florida,,but it worked in Florida for Marijuana Cuttings.
Mostly when i was cloning I used small bubblers.

I found these little solo cups at Walmart ,,,1 or 2 oz size ,,,only a dollar so I picked up a pack (20) very cute,, maybe to small but very cute

I was doing some research and came along this one post where the guy put aloe juice in the water from an Alevera plant let it soak in the water overnight I guess the aloe vera juice really helps with cloning

My #1 cloning rule: if it doesn't root-- I didn't want that plant anyways, only the strongest!

i wish some others would try this.... my wife has (3) times now put a throw away cutting in unph'ed water. PH about 7 .4 - 7.6.. all 3 times she put cuttings in a red solocup. the first 2 times she put the cutting in front of a window. the third time, under a home made cfl. NOTE; all (3) times the clones lived. MORE than that, not a single leaf died, turned brown or EVEN WILTED..these are the best results we have had with cloning, BY FAR.. when i mentioned this to the owner of the local grow store, he said "shhh, TELL NO ONE...and smiled... i will probably ph the water but my next cuttings are going this route..in 2 inches of water in a red solocup under cfls. 14 ON, 10 OFF lighting.. will let u know..

I have had zero success with this method, tried with bubbling too
my tap is about 7.8 but I don't think that matters until veg
only thing different I'm doing is 300ppm mineral water
some folks just can't clone but I'll try that, cups and tap water

I found these little solo cups at Walmart ,,,1 or 2 oz size ,,,only a dollar so I picked up a pack (20) very cute,, maybe to small but very cute
thats what i use, little shot size solo cups. a jiffy puck fits pretty good in those little cups

what really impressed me was that no leaves died, browned or wilted. sitting in water, all 3 looked like they were still attached to the mother plant!! she may have changed water once or twice. not sure. paid little attention until roots sprouted.. local store owner suggested use only 1 clone per solocup. that if i was to try 3 or more per solocup, their oxygen uptake from the water would be less and we may not have the same success.. cant wait to try again in quantity.. thanks thg, will not ph..

what really impressed me was that no leaves died, browned or wilted. sitting in water, all 3 looked like they were still attached to the mother plant!! she may have changed water once or twice. not sure. paid little attention until roots sprouted.. local store owner suggested use only 1 clone per solocup. that if i was to try 3 or more per solocup, their oxygen uptake from the water would be less and we may not have the same success.. cant wait to try again in quantity.. thanks thg, will not ph..

This is a top sitting in a rapid rooter. That tray ebbs and flows so that plug never dries out. That top has not changed in a week. No signs of life or death.
I guess i have to use a solocup.

(note to self: there's that pot thing again, I use the word 'that' a second time, THAT tray, THAT top... I think it's related to the havoc MJ wreaks on short term memory... brain is saying 'ya, use the word 'that' but brain forgets it used the word and uses it again very next sentence)

wow, three times, I missed one, that tray, that plug, that top
I should ask our numnuts boy PM for a research grant to give him an excuse to renege on his legal pot promise, the lyin' liberal piece of ****

View attachment clone.jpg

This is a top sitting in a rapid rooter. That tray ebbs and flows so that plug never dries out. That top has not changed in a week. No signs of life or death.
I guess i have to use a solocup.

(note to self: there's that pot thing again, I use the word 'that' a second time, THAT tray, THAT top... I think it's related to the havoc MJ wreaks on short term memory... brain is saying 'ya, use the word 'that' but brain forgets it used the word and uses it again very next sentence)

wow, three times, I missed one, that tray, that plug, that top
I should ask our numnuts boy PM for a research grant to give him an excuse to renege on his legal pot promise, the lyin' liberal piece of ****

i do not usually take tops. mostly bottoms. (thinning).i think i have been over watering my rapid rooters when cloning although my wife keeps them under water 24/7. your pic looks good papp. my leaves start dying from bottom up after the first week. i do get maybe 2/3 success+/-. but get lots of wilt and leaf deterioration along the way.

there ain't no rules........ long as you get roots your good.

I'm going to try this guys method using aloe vera definitely worth watching this video not to mention his soil combination is pretty amazing as well I love how it literally moves

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=1d9zZZhW-aY

an old friend saw something similar using weeping willow branches to help promote root growth. i wish aloe guy kept filming the rooting process, but still worth watching. thanks bud..the soil did look amazing.

I have cloned from dirt to aero-cloners and RW to jiffy pucks....no matter what medium, when you find the sweet spot for your area, thats the perfect way to clone.

:yeahthat:

GH: The willow trees have salicylic acid in their bark that seems to promote rooting. Many growers use the willow tree branches to make rooting solutions rather than using the clone gels or powders.

side note: every day i have to log on to get in to this site. this started a week ago.... i tried cloning trim branch throw aways in plain tap water in a solocup. they are not pretty like my wifes but roots are popping on many. i need to get these in dirt asap. i am concerned that once in dirt they will get too big too fast before flower tent is available. thinking on putting them in small solocups with straight happy frog. no feed. water light. lighting at 14/10 or 15/9. mission is to slow them as much as possible... when i have pinched, topped girls this young, they formed ugly structure. they are 6 inches tall now. it would be great if i could keep them under 14 inches for up to two months from now. thanks!

Latest posts

Back