First timer, need a lil help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are welcome :) I am happy to help. These plants are indeed amazing. I assure you we all get impatient watching them grow and flower. The best is yet to come, when the buds really swell and begin to look like the ones in the pic that I have attached. I intend to be here ongoing so I will be glad to help as much as I can.

View attachment SAM_0866.JPG

While Bud88 is correct that you should switch to a flowering nutrient at this point, I wouldn't recommend that you use the Espoma flower tone as that is for "organic" growing and you are using synthetic nutrients. You also will not need to worry about the molasses at this point as that is also for organic growing. At this point since you have been using the synthetic nutrients, you cant switch to organics without going through some major changes that could stress the plants.

Its OK that you are in synthetic nutrients. I personally don't recommend a new grower use the miracle grow nutrients as they can be very difficult to manage sometimes. However, you seem to be managing it just fine so it isn't a problem.

What I would suggest that you do is get some TNT tomato bloom nutrients to add to your soil. This is a good nutrient that is also in a synthetic line and will work fine for what you have going. Many people will tell you that you should use nutrients that are formulated for growing MJ. I totally agree with them because it will make it easier for you the grower to use MJ formulated nutes rather than general purpose nutrients. But that would be for your next grow, not this one. It isn't good to do much changing of things in the middle of the grow, as MJ is a very finicky plant that likes things to be a certain way with not a lot of changes.

I don't know if you have a Lowes in your area but here is a link to another bloom product that you could use called Alaska More Bloom It will work as well as the TNT: http://www.lowes.com/pd_122479-1321...l=1&currentURL=?Ntt=vegetable+food&facetInfo=

Hushpuppy: Do you use the TNT? We shld start using it on our next grow right? Are those your plants, they are BEAUTIFUL! Look at the hairs on the 3rd and 4th pics on the 3rd page I posted and also the 1st and 4th pic on the 4th page, if you look closely you cn see a few brownish hairs, is tht wat your tlkin bout

I don't currently use the TNT but have used it before with decent results. It is really more of a tomato bloom nutrient but the nutrient needs of tomatoes and MJ are similar. You need to get one of the ones I posted and begin using it now to feed your plants the bloom nutrients that they need going forward.

Then for the next grow you can continue to use what you are using if it works well enough for you and you like the results, or you can change and try something new. Something that is either formulated for MJ or go to "organic nutes". The TNT is a good bloom nute or if you cant find that but you can find the Alaska More Bloom, That might be even better. I haven't used the Alaska bloom nute but I have heard others who said they really liked it.

Yes the pics I posted are in my current little grow space. They are about 2weeks from harvest. That is what yours will eventually look like if they stay healthy to the end. The pic above that MR1 posted is a very good pic that shows the white pistil hairs and brown (dead) pistil hairs. You do have a couple brown pistil hairs on yours, and you will see them grow out white then die off and turn brown all the way through the flower cycle. But you should reach a point in several weeks where the pistil hairs stop growing as much and the most off them will have died off. That is a good signal that they are reaching the final weeks before harvest. THAT is when you start watching the trichomes for them changing from clear to milky white, and then to amber. The more Indica dominant the plant is, the shorter(typically) the time will be between the pistil die-off and trich ripening. While the more Sativa dominant the plant is, the longer it will take after the pistils cease growing for the trichs to ripen.

Looking at the pic MR1 posted, you can barely see the leaves and bud for all the little trichomes that are covering everything. Yours are already beginning to grow those trichomes but if you look closely at yours, you will notice that they have very little if any "heads" on the stems right now. As they age, the plant will produce the oils and chemicals that will fill those heads and make them swell until they look like the pic above. If you look carefully at them, you can see that they are looking mostly milky white but I can see a couple that appear to be beginning to turn amber.

Many people here or who grow their own bud tend to let the trichomes get a certain amount of amber trichs before harvesting. The more amber they get, the more "narcotic" effect they will have. This variation of "heady" effect and "narcotic" effect varies with different strains. If a plant strain is predisposed to be a "couch-lock" high then the more you allow it to get amber, the more "couch-lock" or "narcotic" effect it will have. The less amber you let it get, it will still have some "narcotic" effect but not as much. Instead it will have a little more "heady" effect.

Now if the plant is a strain that is predisposed to be a very "heady" high rather than any "narcotic" effect, then allowing it to go longer to get a lot off amber trichs will not turn it to a "narcotic", "couch-lock" high. At the most, it would only calm the "headiness" of the high. Inversely, if you take it too early before the trichomes are fully mature (milky looking) then you can cause it to have a very "racey" high that can cause heart palpitations and paranoia. Most of the time, I prefer to allow mine to get 5-10% amber so that I know that all of the trichs have reached full maturity. :)

So I jst go to the store and ask for TNT nutrient's or �� Bloom Nutrient? They are absolutely beautiful, wat strain are they? I'm assuming this isn't your first harvest, right. Each day there are more and more of the brown hairs. I'm happy you seen them cuz tht at least tells me tht me and her are doin something right. So when then stop growing and all die all I shldnt panic, I'm glad you tld me tht cuz we most deff wld have panicked lol. There is so much stuff to kno and to do to grow, we never thought when we first decided to grow tht there was this much tht went along with it, dnt gt me wrong we love doin it and have enjoyed every sec as it is an absolutely incredible thing to watch and experience, but its ALOT to kno. I dnt even smoke, my girl does and I still gt super excited and enjoy it jst as much as she does cuz its something tht she loves to do (smoke) and enjoys and as long as she happy then I'm happy ��. So basically once the (i call them sugar sprinkles (trichomes)) sugar sprinkles turn amber then tht the best time to harvest, right?

The size pots we have our girls in are: 2.6Q and 2.5Q. Do you think those pots are big enough or should we have them in something bigger?

If you have a Lowes or home depot or Ace hardware store, then go in and look in the gardening section where they have all of the fertilizers and you should see it. Just make sure you read it to see that it says Bloom nutrients on it. And it should be in liquid form. If the TNT is there, it is hard to miss as it has TNT in big letters on the bottle. If they don't have the TNT then look for the Alaska more bloom. Any of these stores should have both of these right now as it is going into fall.

Mine are actually Berry Bomb auto, which is an auto-fflowering strain. they won't get very big or produce a lot but they are quicker as they have a shorter grow time than photo-period plants. They are good for someone who is getting started and wants to get some head stash to have while the photos are growing. No this isn't my first harvest :) If you want to see some of my stuff that I have done over the past few years, just look at the grow journals in my signature.

There is a lot to know with growing MJ. I don't think anyone has ever over estimated the level of work and knowledge that it takes to grow good bud. I had a friend who wanted to go ffull tilt into growing for profit. He told me the second year in that he never would have thought that it would be as much work and responsibility as it is. That is why we here try to help as many as we can to get around the learning curve that comes with growing MJ. But a true grower at heart will discover the wonder of this plant while watching it grow. If you continue to grow and watch your plants carefully, you will learn the "whisper" of the plants as they tell you what they want and how they feel. I can just sit and watch them sway in the breeze for hours.

Yeah, once you see the "sprinkles" begin to turn amber here and there on the leaves and buds, then you are at the "harvest window". As I said, you can harvest as soon as you see the first sign of amber, or you can wait 5-10 days until they get a lot of amber. I like to have some amber but not a lot. You will be able to look at them and say that is a little bit off amber, or that is about 1/4 amber, or wow that is about 1/2 amber.

On the pot size; Ideally they should be in bigger pots to achieve maximum results. You could get 2-3 gallon pots and some unfertilized soil and transplant them. This would allow them to get bigger but at this point, I would say that they are fflowering and look happy enough then leave them be. You will just have to water and feed more often as they get further along so that they don't dry out. Transplanting at this point could cause problems if you damage the roots or stun them with transplant shock. It is best to do all transplanting during the veg phase and/or early flower before the flowers set.

Thts awesome, I wanted to order some auto-flowering. We love to jst sit and watch them and its amazing how fast they grow, it's like you look at them one sec and then 10mins later they look a lil diff, its incredible. We are so scared we are gna screw it up when it comes time to harvest, is it hard? We thought we shld have them in bigger pots but figured it wld stress them out and they look fine so we jst decided to keep them in the pots they are in, but our next grow we will kno to put them in bigger pots. Can we start growing them in the 2-3gallon pots frm the start or wld tht be to much?

Can we start growing them in the 2-3gallon pots frm the start or wld tht be to much?

You would want to start your seed in a small pot or what seems popular here is a red Solo cup with holes poked in it for drainage. You want to use soil that is not full of nutrients...One the seedling is ready for vegging you can transplant into the 2-3 gallon pots. If you are planning on a transplant before flowering I would suggest you go from the solo cup to a 1 gallon pot for vegging and then into the 2-3 gallon pots for flowering. I'm new to this and am going by what I have read and been told by some of the more veteran members.
There are members here who grow some pretty awesome flowers using only a 1 gallon pot!! So I guess its a matter of choice...There are other ways of doing it but I will leave those up to the veteran's here who will be around shortly..If I missed something or messed it up....:48:

Hey, Bud said it right on there. Start the seeds in a solo cup of soil that has no nutrients. I believe miracle grow has a seed starter soil that works well (if that is all that you can get). Then you can transplant them when they are well established and growing, to a 1-2gal. You can stay with that till harvest as some do with synthetic grows, but iff you decide you want to grow organic bud then you will want to go to a bigger pot, like 5gal so that the plants have more to pull ffrom.

If you look at the online hydro stores, you can order stuff online and have it delivered right to your door. www.plantlightinghydroponics.com is one that I use. www.hpsgrowlightstore.com is another that I use for my indoor lights. You can also get some real good deals ffrom Amazon.com

If you intend to grow for yourself and for profit, then I don't recommend using autos as they don't produce the level and quality of bud that you want for selling. They are great for someone who has a small grow and wants to get some bud quicker than with traditional photoperiod plants. But they are done a little differently than photoperiod plants.

I don't recommend using autos as they don't produce the level and quality of bud that you want for selling

I've grown Northern Lights Blue twice and you would eat those words if you had smoked some ;) hah

BUT, the key here is yields in my opinion. Getting 1oz+ off of an auto is a major achievement.. but we all know 1oz from a single plant for the amount of time and work / money that goes into it, isn't great.

Back to that quality part... yeah, I've had some killer autos :D

Just to let you know, we do not discuss selling on this forum. This is part of the site rules.

The Hemp Goddess: Well how bout you give me a list of the rules then, it was said in previous posts and you had nothing to say but as soon as I say something you have something to say, so give me a list of the rules.

Latest posts

Back