Growing Feminised Seed indoor HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to cut off nutes within the last week of flower but I have since quit doing that because I do a split harvest, taking the top 1/3 or /12 of the plant and leaving the lower parts in the light for another week or 2 to develop or ripen further. But I have found that I can't tell any difference in the quality of smoke from flushed and not flushed. I do cut back some as I see the plants not taking in as much during the last 2 weeks and I don't see the need of wasting nutes.

You guys must be getting your nute levels perfect. If I don't flush, I taste it.
Are your leaves all mostly yellow when you pull the plant?

Do you ever screw up and let them get too dry ( I leave lid off too long)
I've tried those humidity packets but don't like doing that.

HOLY ****, I totally hi-jacked this thread, I thought I was in my grow thread whining.
SO SORRY CVD1983, outrageous, I should delete mine but would be rude to the lads.
Again, my apologies, back to your grow, back to my hole :)

No problem Pappy :) I doubt CVD minds as long as the conversation stays interesting. :)

I think the hardest thing for new growers is getting the understanding that there are multiple methods for growing MJ that all work in the right conditions. And it very much depends on your local environment and atmosphere, and access to mediums and nutes. The challenge is to find those methods that work best for your individual needs and conditions.

As for flushing? The key to flushing is that you are removing all of the nutrients from the plant's access and are forcing it to use up the elements that are already within the plant. I typically harvest totally green plants with very little yellowing off. But I also(typically) cut back on nutes as I see the plants slowing down in the last 7-10 days. I don't want to starve them if I haven't timed the harvest exactly right but the longer you grow (and pay good attention to your plants) the better you will get at judging them.

I think the key to the flavor lies in the dry/cure (and in the strain). I have some plants that smoke amazingly smooth and others that are more harsh and they were grown, dried, and cured the same way. But I have also seen that a "just right" dry/cure (generally for me, 1wk drying, 4wks curing) yields the best taste to me.

However, everyone's tastes are a little different. Some of my bud tastes just like mushrooms to me while the same flowers taste sweet to my buddy. And I can taste lemon and pineapple in my Pineapple Chunk but my buddy can only taste sweet, spicy, and sandalwood. its kind of weird.

I know others who like a real "clean" tasting smoke while others like a very "earthy", "organic" flavor smoke. I say try different methods (only one or two changes per grow, not done in the middle of a grow) and find what you like. :)

I rarely get anyway with search tool on this site and tedious to walk through all the posts. I hate putting that guy to work like that, but it's up there , thanks, HP. Respectfully...
I balk at the plastic, I like the glass casserole trays with plastic lids,
buds sit on glass but not tight sealed lid
Careful with blowing air over buds too, read that somewhere.

How do you measure to 1% ? I cure by feel, first dry feel to outside, lid goes back on, and check often, tapering off as days go by

his method is more foolproof, easy to let them dry too long or stay wet too long with my haphazard way but I manage,
it's the flush in hydro that's driving me nuts.

yea, i used to go by feel and glass air-tites. no more. hp talked me into xtra large tupperwares. LARGER OPENINGS. only for 2 or 3 weeks. once i get into the 63%rh, i seal in lg glass and open little. i hang buds until they feel a little dry on the outside and then trim them off and in they go to tupperware. put in ph meter and burp. let sit 1 1/2 days or so. the rh is usually too high. in the 80% range but the buds are equalizing. the moisture is similar on the out and inside!! (leathery feel). i will leave cover off for an hour or two, mixing top to bottom a couple times. recover, burp and retest in a day or so. looking to get to 70%rh equally thru out bud. then open tware for a minute or two with fan blowing out as much air as possible. reseal, burp and usually bring ph down a point(1%) each day or every other day until i get to 63% rh. long term jar time. i get better smells, no more hay smells. very smooth smoke and NEVER kill the cure. cure dies once it been placed in a plastic bag for a day or two. papp, hp spent hours trying to get me to try this. when i finally tried it, i LOVE it. probably the thing i do best with mj..i searched for the tread from a year or 2 ago. could not find..

sopappy here is all you need to do to gain success in harvesting sans flushing.
I cut each branch off, rip off all the fan leaves and hang it in a well ventilated area with fresh air being moved around(not blowing it on the plant). Keep the humidity between 45-50% for 7 days after 7 days the buds will snap off the branch and the sugar leaves will be brittle enough to flick off and save, then throw them into a jar and seal it. Burp the jars once a day for a week then once a week and you will have perfectly cured bud

sopappy here is all you need to do to gain success in harvesting sans flushing.
I cut each branch off, rip off all the fan leaves and hang it in a well ventilated area with fresh air being moved around(not blowing it on the plant). Keep the humidity between 45-50% for 7 days after 7 days the buds will snap off the branch

after 7 days hanging, mine would have turned to dust. I find after a day or two, I feel outer dry and begin the lid on / lid off ritual

and the sugar leaves will be brittle enough to flick off and save,

now this is neat, you don't trim the colas, you just break off the tips of the leaves that stick out of the cola? different, I'd think it faster to cut them but i know my colas don't look like yours

then throw them into a jar and seal it. Burp the jars once a day for a week then once a week and you will have perfectly cured bud

I didn't read anything that made me think you wouldn't need to flush.
My girls rarely have much in the way of yellow leaves at harvest, still full of nutes, I haven't mastered this ramp thing yet.

I think I'd still taste the nutes. I know I have one chap who would and I hear about it every time I screw up and out of time to flush

Some people like a real "clean" taste to their smoke. growing with synthetic nutes and flushing will achieve that. I used to have one particular guy that used my stuff and he liked it with no flavors to it. However the rest of my patients said my smoke was missing something. When I switched my methods to create more of a "natural, organic" flavor, they all raved over it. Folks with different likes and tastes can make it challenging to grow what everyone likes.

i was cleaning and found MOST OF pups drying/ curing method which i had PRINTED OUT a couple years ago and have grown so fond of.. the paper is a little messy but gonna try and attach it... I do use a rh meter in each tub.. once i get below 65%, i go to long term storage in 5 liter bormioli rocco jars. drying/ curing is so easy and consistant using hushpuppys method..

View attachment drying-curing.pdf

ok here isa chemistry lesson from an idiot, when you feed a plant nutrients the plant does not i repeat does not store those nutirents in the leaves or the bud. The plant uses these nutrients as fuel for systems to create the leaves and buds. you do not every need to flush a plant unless you see a deficiency or you burned it. All flushing does is pull from the leaves and buds, yes and buds to feed the root system. how is it beneficial to remove sugars from the buds? i swear one day this ** of flushing will be gone soon

Gooch you sound like you may be passionate about flushing versus not flushing :)

Gooch you sound like you may be passionate about flushing versus not flushing :)
well there are a bunch of old ways of thinking i am tired of hearing since there is no basis for facts behind it, I also help and mentor many new growers and constantly have to explain why you dont need to flush cause 1 google and 1million people say you have to lol

well there are a bunch of old ways of thinking i am tired of hearing since there is no basis for facts behind it, I also help and mentor many new growers and constantly have to explain why you dont need to flush cause 1 google and 1million people say you have to lol

Very true, it's such a hard myth to debunk. No fruit or vegetable I know in existence do you starve it the final 2 weeks of its life....sadly that's when the girls bulk and everyone who flushes is most definitely loosing weight and a full ripening. These myths get started simply because people don't realize if you apply good grow technique steeped in knowledge all you really have to do is feed it correctly, give it enough light and support and really there is no need to touch it other than some productive pruning in the beginning to focus the plants energy on bud production. Sadly these are also the people who will never quite reach their full potential as growers, they may pull off good grows....it's a weed and that happens in fairly decent conditions. But to crush it time after time takes knowledge that is backed up with hard science. I really wish people would think hard before telling new impressionable growers that a flush is necessary if the plant is grown correctly. Peace.

Good posting my friend. I also think its total crap. My fruits and vegetables dont taste bad because they get feed before harvest. My weed has never tasted different because i flushed or starved it,,,and i have treid it twice along time ago and it made no freaking diffrence,,and i was running the same strain for along time.

been waiting 10 to 12 weeks before harvest as i know how important the last couple of weeks are. also i almost never get more than 5 to 10% amber with the many strains i have grown. i remember how many millions of gallons they must have sold of molasses to improve taste of bud in the final weeks of growing. i also read (for what thats worth), that if u add vanilla extract to your water in the last few days of watering, u can taste it while smoking. also true with other flavors. i don't see molasses selling anywhere near what it used to sell, if at all and dont know if any of its true??? hmm

actually molasses doesnt affect the taste at all, i mean literally at all, what it is doing is providing sugars for the roots. See in the last weeks of flowering the plant no longer sends sugars to feed the root system cause it knows its almost over and wants to focus all the energy from photosynthesis on the flowers, so by adding in molasses in the last couple weeks you keep the plants producing and shipping sugars to the flowers till the end, because the roots are now getting their energy. and adding flavors will not make the cannabis taste like that flavor. The plant uses the various nutrients and biostimulants to power other systems that then create the plant. and concentrated flavor is not one of them. Although post cure you can spray some food grade flavor concentrates on the buds to smell and taste like that

thanks! i always thought it had to do with flavor. guess i need to read more, grow less. lol.. do many people still use molasses anymore?? i never seem to hear about it.. whats the flavor, smell spray all about?? have u guys tried it?? thanks!!

Latest posts

Back