Sour Diesel 60 days in, NANNERS EVERYWHERE!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiksroks

Fat Farmer
Reaction score
Damn it! Got nanners all over my Sour Diesel buds,no light leaks, no real stress beyond some extra hot FFOF (ProMixBx next time, done with the pre-nuted soil)). Based on my research this is not uncommon for SD, still I'm stressed and frustrated. I have 18 plants going at the moment 16 of which are the SD so I'm just gonna let them go and hope for the best. They are scheduled for chop between march 9th (day 70) and 16th (day 77).

I love the strain and the cuts I have going smells just like Lemon Heads candy but its killing me to see the buds loaded with nanners like that.

A freind of mine who is also a member here has some SD clones from a different source that are not even 40 days in and doing the same thing. None of the other strains in his or my room are having any problems like that and I've never had this problem before.

I'm not really looking for advise, just venting I guess. . .

argh!!!! :mad: that sucks man. Yeah, I've heard that about the SD too..hope your next grow goes better for ya's.

That sucks bro....unfortunately it seems to be pretty common for some "elite" strains to throw nanners. I love me some Sour Diesel but hve only grown it in crosses.

:banana::banana::banana::banana:NANNERS EVERYWHERE!:banana::banana::banana::banana:

should get some decent smoke out of them though, love the sour desel flavor :)

Regardless of what you want to call them, a plant 60 days (or 40 days) full of nanners is not a plant I want in my closet. If the definition of a hermie is not a female plant with male flowers, then what is it?

I've come to the conclusion that most likely my grow will be fine despite the nanner attack. As long as they don't seed. A couple days ago I went through and pulled all of them, about 20 off of 6 plants, and haven't seen any new ones yet.The buds are hitting their final push now and calyx development is as prolific as I have ever seen.

Freaking praying for sensi. . .

Puffin, that is exactly what they looked like! lol

I have yet to see any pollen, but what would I look for? I did see some of them dry and falling apart/off. . .

Rockster said:
Hick, go talk to a biologist who knows the difference between nana's and true hermaphrodites as your constant going on about nana's as if they were hermies is putting incorrect, ie, bad, information out there.

For the last time, nana's are not hermies.

Seems to be a hotly debated topic among those who know a lot more about growing this plant than I do. Thanks for posting. And if you don't mind elaborating little bit some of us wouldn't mind. . .

If you are getting alot of "nanners" from yourSD cut, it is more likely a bad cut. I too have SD and get a nanner here and there, but it is not till at least week 8-9, and being a 10 week strain, it is no issue.
I am talking about a few also, within lb's. No seed has ever been found.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Regardless of what you want to call them, a plant 60 days (or 40 days) full of nanners is not a plant I want in my closet. If the definition of a hermie is not a female plant with male flowers, then what is it?
bart simsons fingers:hubba: .................[j]:icon_smile:

NorCalHal said:
If you are getting alot of "nanners" from yourSD cut, it is more likely a bad cut. I too have SD and get a nanner here and there, but it is not till at least week 8-9, and being a 10 week strain, it is no issue.
I am talking about a few also, within lb's. No seed has ever been found.

Well, tomorrow is day one of week 10. I had read to run it 11 weeks but it is already showing some amber trichs so I may just chop it at 10 as you suggest. I had 1 or 2 nanners on 2 or 3 buds on 6 out of 16 plants in a quasi sog. Looks like it will be well over a lb dried and cured to me.

I agree the cut may be bad and I will avoid it in the future. This is my hobby and it is supposed to relieve stress! I do love SD; the potency, bouquet, and yield are unmatched in my limited experience.

They are putting on an impressive show right now as they race to pack on the calyx. The current bud growth is as fast as I have experienced to this point.

Thanks for posting!

kiksroks said:
Well, tomorrow is day one of week 10.

Thanks for posting!

so they are on week 10 when they started popping up? or are those differnt plants?

anything after week 8 imo nanners get more common especially in indica dominated plants, i dont consider later flower nanners a hermy plant, its jsut a survial response to age, and most likely will not have pollen, or enough time to pollenate anything.

I have grown for many many many years. This throwing nanners late in flower never used to happen. I am not sure that I believe that this is normal at all, ie not a survival response to age. I believe that this is more a result of trying to breed female seeds and ending up with hermie genetics in many many strains. I don't think that I ever saw or heard of this "phenomena" until 10 years ago or so. I have a perpetual harvest type grow--I have plants of all ages in my flowering room. I am not willing to take the chanced that the pollen is sterile when I have plants that could be pollinated. ANYTHING in my closet that popped a nanner would be out of there, regardless of when it happened.

the following is from hXXp://www.amsterdammarijuanaseedbank.com/Growguides/general-marijuana-info/difference-male-female-plants.html

Hermaphrodite marijuana plant, or hermie, is a marijuana plant of one sex that develops the sexual organs of the other sex. Most commonly, a flowering female marijuana plant will develop staminate flowers, though the reverse is also true. Primarily male hermaphrodites are not as well recognized only because few growers let their males reach a point of flowering where the pistillate would be expressed. Hermaphrodite cannabis plants are generally viewed with disfavor. First, they will release pollen and ruin a sinsemilia crop, pollinating themselves and all of the other females in the room. Second, the resulting seeds are worthless, because hermaphrodite parents tend to pass on the tendency to their offspring. [note: that occasionally specious staminate flowers will appear in the last days of flowering of a female marijuana plant. These do not drop pollen and their appearance is not considered evidence of deleterious hermaphroditism.]

Note people have reported that after having female product male flowers(nanners)late in the flower cycle that the following crop would have seed show up deep in the buds. This sugests that not all late showing male flowers are sterile

hmmmm.. "bi-sexual phenoms"... "wonders of nature"... if they hermie, ya know what?. I'm still gonna call em hermies.

For the last time, nana's are not hermies.

Wasn't it one of Hitler's advisors that said "If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth" ... err somthin; like that...;)

We disagree Rockster.
Damn it! Got nanners all over my Sour Diesel buds......
A freind of mine who is also a member here has some SD clones from a different source that are not even 40 days in and doing the same thing.
neither sound like .."a few late nanners"... anyway.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I don't think that I ever saw or heard of this "phenomena" until 10 years ago or so..

even in grow guides i read back in like 95' mentioned late flower hermies. thats when i got the growing bug before my teens. i dont think i even had internet before then though, more widespread access to information will make things show alot more than word of mouth and personal experiances that people had to do before the internet.

Latest posts

Back