Sour Diesel 60 days in, NANNERS EVERYWHERE!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Cpl nanners on some late flowering plants for me is quite the norm as well....especially with some of the more potent crosses. I don't find my bud to be seeded at all with a rare bean or two that can be destroyed if that is what floats your boat. It has certainly been nothing to keep me from growing those cuts again. You can call them what you want but I don't lose any sleep over them. Jmo

late stage sterile nanners were a way we could tell that our skunk cut was done blooming. Not the most accurate but just like clockwork on the 55th-60th day, lil yellow sterile beaks (aka nanners) began to emerge out of some of the most potent pot I've ever smoked, bar none....and hands down...lol. The trick was to pull it right b4 they began to produce those sterile lil sacs...It was an accepted norm (doesn't make it a correct practice but nonetheless...)and other growers preferred our strain to theirs...lol. Around 45 daze was perfect...*sigh* I miss that cut...

If it looks like hermie, acts like a hermie it's a hermie.

I have nearly done everything you could do to a plant, even to the point it was eating itself and it never had one seed, one male flower, or anything. You can't let it go any longer then I did and it did not hermie. So the late in flower argument is rubbish.

The generic make up is changing (hermie trait showing) so much with all these pollen chuckers out there that do not take the time to become a true breeder, is weaking the plant seed stock and trying to make it acceptable for hermies.jmo

PuffinNugs said:
so they are on week 10 when they started popping up? or are those differnt plants?

anything after week 8 imo nanners get more common especially in indica dominated plants, i dont consider later flower nanners a hermy plant, its jsut a survial response to age, and most likely will not have pollen, or enough time to pollenate anything.

I first noticed a week or so ago so I would say week 8 or 9. I'm hoping they will not seed out. I had an og kush throw a couple vry late a few grows back but it was only one plant so I just yanked it and smoked it. lol. It was decent smoke. . .

pcduck said:
I have nearly done everything you could do to a plant, even to the point it was eating itself and it never had one seed, one male flower, or anything. You can't let it go any longer then I did and it did not hermie. So the late in flower argument is rubbish.

not every strain does it.

do you know that theres alot of equatorial sativas that are just natural hermaprodites but are fire. adding these into hybrids is another cause for nanners / and hermy plants showing up, not just "pollen chucking".

heres some reading, start at paragraph "The end of the sweet spots" down to the "The road to blandness"

hxtp://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2600.html

FWIW, I had hermies back in the 1980's from SSSC breeder-source stock, non-fem seeds. I think it one was the non-fem Nepalese x Skunk which did it the most, but its been 30 years. But I saw it in more than just that strain and they were not femmed seeds.

I think you are very right that hermies are progressively infecting the strain pool more and more every year, but also think that they can occur naturally in some strains - and induced through stress in others (which I know you disagree with). Others you can abuse to death and not get even one female to cross dress.

Only way you can tell if you have a boy or girl is to pull down their genes.
[pun intended]

The Hemp Goddess said:
I have grown for many many many years. This throwing nanners late in flower never used to happen. I am not sure that I believe that this is normal at all, ie not a survival response to age. I believe that this is more a result of trying to breed female seeds and ending up with hermie genetics in many many strains. I don't think that I ever saw or heard of this "phenomena" until 10 years ago or so. I have a perpetual harvest type grow--I have plants of all ages in my flowering room. I am not willing to take the chanced that the pollen is sterile when I have plants that could be pollinated. ANYTHING in my closet that popped a nanner would be out of there, regardless of when it happened.

Never said that they could not be fire, they could have been even better, but they are still hermies.

Maybe I have just gotten lucky with the numerous strains I have grown that I have purchased from respectable breeders, that I have not had any hermies from them. Even indoor sativas. I have also grown from seeds as gifts and less then respectable breeders and these are a crap shoot. Some will hermie and some will not. I am not saying they weren't fire, but I would not grow them again, just because of their tendency to hermie.

I would just rather see a strong gene pool then a weak one just because some people think it is ok for a plant to hermie.

From the same article:
A series of phenomena occurred in the late 1970's and early 80's that has since revolutionized the cannabis industry. This series included the triad of sinsemilla,High Intensity Discharge (HID) lighting,...... Never before in human history was so much genetic diversity of cannabis grown in such generic, indoor conditions. The results of this phenomenon have wreaked havoc on the cannabis gene pool.

More people chucking pollen then ever before. If I was a true breeder I would keep working on it till I had a strain that would not hermie. This is just my opinion and if people want hermies they can have them, I just don't want them.

i dont think anyone wants a hermy :)

i break them down to 3 types, one i can live with and not really "hermy" but just its end of life. (i see how it is considered one though, cause of definition)

hermy from seed (both sexes show at time of pre/flowering, a true hermie plant). a stress induced hermie (enviroment factors, light leaks, ect.) then the late flower nanners.

a new thing im noticing, on femmed beans only, theres balls on the lower nodes but everything above that grows as a normal female with no more balls or nanners showing up. never have seen that on a plant from regualr seed, only the fem seeds seem to do it. just like the late flower ones, some are sterile, some are not.

Latest posts

Back