2 400 watt or 1 1000 watt???????????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchashow

Reaction score
hey im starting my first grow and i was wondering would 2 400 watt lights or 1 1000 watt be better for my grow. my closet space is about 3 x 7 x 9ft and im growing white widow. could any body help me or offer any advice????????

what about using the 1000 watt with a light mover?

With a room that shape, I also think that you would do better with 2 400W. However, one of the things to consider is lumens/watt. Two 400W use 20% less electricity, but put out 33% less lumens than a 1000W. A 400W HPS puts out approx 50000 lumens or 125 lumens per watt. A 1000W puts out about 150000 lumens or 150 lumens per watt.

My room is 3 x 6.5 x 7.5 and I use a 1000W. I use a light mover when the room is full. A light mover makes ventilation and ducting more problematic.

The two 400 lights also cover a larger area than one 1000. Good if you get a larger grow area later.

tcbud said:
The two 400 lights also cover a larger area than one 1000. Good if you get a larger grow area later.

Two 400W will probably give a more even light coverage, but it will be far less lumens per sq ft. A 400W is good for about 10 sq ft @ 5000 lumens/sq ft. A 1000W will cover about 30 sq ft @ 5000 lumens/sq ft.

I used to grow in a similar size space, using a single 600hps.......
I soon noticed that the coverage was far from ample.....................
To combat this, I inspected and moved each and every plant once a day, in sequence......................................
Far from ideal......................
Yet it seemed to work......
I often longed for 2 x 400hps units.......

so if i want more lumens per square foot then i should use a 1000 watt but if i want more even coverage than i should go with 2 400 watt??? i been reading a lot about lumens and the more lumens you have the bigger the plants right?? the 400 watt covers 10 square feet at 5000 lumens. so 2 400 watt would cover 20 square feet efficiently. wont i be short a couple of lumens or will it make any difference??? sorry so many questions im just trying to learn as much as possible.

can anybody recommend where and what kind of lights i should buy? like what brand. i heard hortilux is good for flowering and agromax cool deluxe lights for vegging but i dont really know what they are. can somebody offer help PLEASE.

yo tchashow... listen to all experts.. when I read your title of this post.. I knew I was gonna say 2 hoods... you want plently of lumens for any plants you put under in your closet space.. and not to worry about anything like moving, rotation, etc.. since you gonna grow WW... take or give.. listen to the experts..

tchashow said:
so if i want more lumens per square foot then i should use a 1000 watt but if i want more even coverage than i should go with 2 400 watt??? i been reading a lot about lumens and the more lumens you have the bigger the plants right?? the 400 watt covers 10 square feet at 5000 lumens. so 2 400 watt would cover 20 square feet efficiently. wont i be short a couple of lumens or will it make any difference??? sorry so many questions im just trying to learn as much as possible.

1. Yes
2. The yield should be larger, the plants won't necessarily be bigger (that depends on how long you veg).
3. Yes, but it shouldn't make much difference.

The Hemp Goddess said:
1. Yes
2. The yield should be larger, the plants won't necessarily be bigger (that depends on how long you veg).
3. Yes, but it shouldn't make much difference.

thanx goddess. youve been so much help. imma buy the 2 400 watt hoods. can any one recommend a brand of light bulb one metal halide for vegging a and a hid for flowering. ive seen a lot of different brands and i was wondering which would work the best. like which one have the most lumens/ doesnt produce a lot of heat/ and lasts the longest.

Lights can be as debatable a subject as hydro was in the day when dirt people could just not believe it possible. I suggest you go middle of the road. I have went into my own business, as I have more money than sense now that all the kids moved out. LOL. There are so many many good sites. I will say I got real good info when I need questions and Jay over at 4hydroponics dot com was a great help NEVER EVER talk about the type plants you do here. I have purchased from him over the last couple years and that word was never brought up. I would say as you start, get yourself some valueline ballasts switchable, had for about $100 bucks each or less, get yourself a decent lumewing reflector with the cord and socket built in and spend about 35-55 dollars on your bulbs each and just play. If you stay with it, you will find yourself more than likely have read so much by that time, when you want new bulbs and toys, you will be as expert or not as any.

Hey tchashow- as far as the lights go- I can't offer an opinion on brand, I use generics (read best price), but what I can tell you is that MH and HPS require different ballasts. If you plan on vegging and flowering in the same space it's either going to require some fancy wiring work on your part, purchasing a switchable system, or you'll need to get a MH set up and when switching to flower get a HPS conversion bulb. You do lose some watts/lumens with the last option, but I found it to be the most inexpensive way to go.
Good luck with your grow

tchashow said:
hey im starting my first grow and i was wondering would 2 400 watt lights or 1 1000 watt be better for my grow. my closet space is about 3 x 7 x 9ft and im growing white widow. could any body help me or offer any advice????????

You want two 600w.ballasts with super HPS bulbs. 95000 lumens each.

1000 1000 1000 1000 ... sorry ranting , umm i love my hps for veg & flower i started my new grow on it and boom bam i am the man ... haha just like to say damn my clothes are stinking from being in the grow room for 2minutes!... anyway id like to reply to ya but im guessing you already got the 2 400watt so i wont! :) :)

Latest posts

Back