300w LED + Alien Blackberry grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kill a Watt

Reaction score
What up. Been lurking around the led threads and finally decided to do a grow thread with my new LED. I’ve been on the fence for a while and decided to take the leap after seeing some success with other peoples grow. After doing much research, I decided to get some quality parts instead of ordering the ones made in china. The Chinese fixtures are cheaper initially but who knows what is under the hood? Could be a sweet ferrari body with a kia engine lol. Anywho, on with the show. I decided to go with a shorter strain and chose the Alien Blackberry for that purpose. It finishes anywhere between 2.5-4’. Soil will be the grow medium. I’m curious how much yield will result from this light.

-This is a legal prop 215 grow-

This is what I will be working with
• 1” thick foam walls with reflective material
hxxp://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=15358-46086-451156&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3365576&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
(originally was going with a tent but concerns with heat retention made me reconsider)
• 15 Alien Blackberry clones
• Soil
• 1 or 2 gallon pots
• 300w custom LED from hXXp://www.ledsupply.com"]LEDSUPPLY.com
*Carbon scrubber & fan will be added before the flip*

Let’s start with the ladies. Some are already much taller than others and that might play into shading so I’m going to set the taller ones on the edges.

ab1.jpg

ab2.jpg

ab3.jpg

Here is the LED fixture. I forgot to put on some shades when I turned it on – super bright.

It fluctuates between 309w and 311w

killawatt.jpg

led.jpg

TheKlonedRanger said:
That strain sounds like fire. I'll be watching this one.

thanks, my buddy grew this strain and the nugs come out nice n dense

sounds intresting I am close to done with an LED light grow I used a 100 watt diamond series and a 135 UFO a totle of 235 watts It came out alright although I got to admit I would have liked more power in wattage, I'll follow your grow

kilowatt I see that the site is a diy site what did it cost to put together a 300 watt led is it a 11 wave spectrum light

Good luck and green mojo...will pull up a shoe and cop a squat over here.

Building this was a true learning experience. Thankfully ledsupply had some great techs that helped me through the build. I took some photos and made instructions.

I went with a 3' makersled heatsink from ledsupply.com

Here are the parts & materials I used to make the fixture.

(1) MakersLED Heatsink Kit w/ Hanger – from LEDSupply for $49.92/Ft
(36) Deep-Red Luxeon Rebel LEDs – from LEDSupply for $6.94ea
(9) Red Luxeon Rebel LEDs – from LEDSupply for $5.28ea (
(9) Red-Orange Luxeon Rebel LEDs – from LEDSupply for $5.28ea
(18) Royal-Blue Luxeon Rebel LEDs – from LEDSupply for $4.60ea
(18) Warm-White Cree XM-L LEDs – from LEDSupply for $7.94ea (
(6) 700mA FlexBlock LUXdrive Drivers – from LEDSupply for $17.99ea
(3) 1000mA BuckBlock LUXdrive Drivers – from LEDSupply for $17.99ea
(3) 1400mA BuckBlock LUXdrive Drivers – from LEDSupply for $17.99ea
(3) 24VDC 4.5AMP Power-Supplies – from LEDSupply for $34.99ea
(1) 12VDC 1.0AMP Power-Supply – from LEDSupply for $9.99ea
(3) Arctic Silver Thermal Epoxy – from LEDSupply for $15.99ea
(75') Red 24AWG Stranded Wire – from LEDSupply for $0.25/ft
(50') Black 24 AWG Stranded Wire – from LEDSupply for $0.25/ft
(30') White 24 AWG Stranded Wire – from LEDSupply for $0.25/ft (
(20') Blue 24 AWG Stranded Wire – from LEDSupply for $0.25/ft
(30') Orange 24 AWG Stranded Wire – from LEDSupply for $0.25/ft
(12') 2 Conductor Shield Wire – from LEDSupply
Heat-Shrinking Material – from LEDSupply

Tools, Equipment and resources needed to get the job done
Solder Iron & Solder
Wire Strippers
Tweezers
Hand-held Drill
Latex Gloves
Philips Screw Driver
10mm Wrench
Wiring Schematic
FlexBlock Data Sheet (Boost-Only Mode Wiring Diagram)
Red, Black & Blue Sharpie Markers

skullcandy said:
sounds intresting I am close to done with an LED light grow I used a 100 watt diamond series and a 135 UFO a totle of 235 watts It came out alright although I got to admit I would have liked more power in wattage, I'll follow your grow

kilowatt I see that the site is a diy site what did it cost to put together a 300 watt led is it a 11 wave spectrum light

you beat me to it. lol i just posted the stuff i purchased to make the fixture. you got a link to your build?

You gotta lose all those live links...they are against the rules.

Here are some general step by step of what I did to build it. I might have missed a step but pretty sure I covered everything.

• Organize Materials – Double-check all part#'s & quantities
• Add Solder to ALL solder pads on EVERY LED
• DOT LED location on heatsink w/ appropriate color sharpie markers
1. See LED Schematic
2. Measure, Mark & Divide the heatsink into equal 3rds (DOT 1-foot at a time)
3. “Approximately” (start 1” in from end and space DOTs 2-inches apart)

003.jpg

004.jpg

• Apply Epoxy & Place LEDs

1. Set-up correct pattern of LEDs before applying epoxy
2. Mix appropriate amount of Epoxy (5-minute cure time) – Shoot for 8-LEDs every 5-minutes
3. Hold LED in left hand between index finger and thumb
4. Apply Epoxy down center , Rotate 25-degrees in fingers and Epoxy down Center , Rotate opposite direction 50-degrees and Epoxy down center
5. Place LED over appropriate DOT on heatsink
6. PUSH down with Right hand

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

• Solder 1st Circuit (1st Foot) – Repeat Steps for 2nd & 3rd Circuit (2nd & 3rd Foot)
1. Check LED/WIRING Schematic
2. Wire Royal-Blue LEDs:
3. Wire Deep-Red LEDs:
4. Wire Reds & Red-Orange:
5. Wire Warm-White LEDs:

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

• Complete EACH circuit with Positive & Negative Wires
1. For the Positive Wire use the appropriate COLOR WIRE for the color of the LED (Red Wire for Deep-Red Circuit, Orange Wire for Red & Red-Orange Circuit, White Wire for Warm-White Circuit and Blue Wire for Royal-Blue Circuit)
2. Use Black for ALL Negative connections
3. Cut ALL these wires long enough to run to the side (where drill holes will evenutally be) and be run up through the heatsink with enough wire to work with
• Drill Holes for Wire (See above pic for reference)
1. There will be six holes per side
2. Run Positive & Negative wires neatly and in the straightest path to the side of heat-sink and determine where all the holes need to be drilled. Mark & Drill.

014.jpg

• Run Wires through Drill-Holes & Tape to the side of the heat-sink
• Solder Positive & Negative wires to Positive & Negative Output Wires of APPROPRIATE LED Driver:
1. (700mA FlexBock for Deep-Red in Boost-Only Mode)(700mA FlexBock for Red & Red-Orange)(1000mA BuckBlock for Royal-Blue)(1400mA BuckBlock for Warm-White)
2. Connections are made by stripping back both wires, adding heat-shrink tubing to wires, Solder wires together and cover connection with heat-shrink
3. Cut away excess wire before stripping to save space
4. Cut away dimming wires and tape over end of wire
5. Special Connection must be make for Deep-Red Circuit (see FlexBock Datasheet for Boost-Only mode connection diagram)

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

Locate ALL Red & Black INPUT wires on the LED Drivers and TAPE them to the side of the heat-sink
One-Foot at a time: Solder RED wire to RED Wire on LED Drivers, long enough to stretch the length of the heat-sink
One-Foot at a time: Solder Black wire to Black Wire on LED Drivers, long enough to stretch the length of the heat-sink
Connect ALL Red wires to each other
Connect ALL Black wires to each other

(you can see connecting black/red wires in next post)

019.jpg

• Connect ALL Red wires to the Red wire on the 2 Conductor cable
• Connect ALL Black wires to the Black wire on the 2 Conductor Cable
• Heat-Shrink Red & Black Connections to the 2 Conductor Cable
• Connector 2 Conductor Red & Black wires to appropriate Power-Supply Output
• Connect Power-Supply CORD to Power-Supply, Wire with writing goes to “L” on Power-Supply (see pic above)

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

026.jpg

• Plug in the Power-Supply to TEST that the 1st Foot Lights-Up!
• Repeat for the next two-feet
• Epoxy Drivers to side of heat-sink, while the Epoxy is drying the drivers may need something to hold them against the heat-sink
• Position fans, writing up
• Run Fan wiring to central location

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

healthy lookin gals there KIll-a. We have a rule of no livelinks here, it keeps everyone secure.

Latest posts

Back