400w

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcoll

Reaction score
hi, a bit new to all this,can any one tell me how many plants a 400w hps can support?also how long do u veg clones ,is it the same as seeds.i did a grow a while ago from bag seed and house/security lights an got about a quater of smokable material and some experience.tnx

I can veg 2-3 big bushy plants under that light, but I dont employ low stress or high stress training. You could grow more, smaller plants using those techniques, so it really depends on your space. As for how long I veg any plant, clone or seed, I keep it in veg till the plant shows alternating node growth. But you can put it into flower whenever you want. Once again final size desired dictates when each person flowers.

i've got about 9 small (1-1/2 to 2 foot) ladies under my 400.
or usually i do about 4 or 5 larger ones.
more of a space concern for me than a light concern though. (and when i grow taller, i slap a few fluro's on the side.)

and really, you can veg clones to whatever size you want.

A 400W will adequately light about 9 sq ft. That space will support anywhere from 1-9 plants depending on when how long you veg. Some people will plant more than that, but I like to give my girls at the very minimum 1 sq ft.

If growing from seed, i like to start with 12 or so plants. Then when you remove males, it will give your ladies room to breath. If i end up with more females than expected, i just rotate them around every few days.

A good rule of thumb is 1 sq foot per plant.
Clones can veg however long you want. You could in fact put them in 12/12 once they establish roots. Obviously, this limits the size and amount of budding areas.

I did 10 clones in appx 2 gallon containers at once, ended up pulling almost 12 ounces.

I did alot of plant rotation, every day or two. I think that was key in having a good harvest.

I tried growing a couple monster plants at once but was disappointed in the yield (5 - 6 oz). I'm going to start going in the SOG direction from here on out.

Right now I'm running 7 plants in the flower room and they are in their 4th week and I'm liking the bud production so far. I'm setting up to go 12 plants next cycle maybe as many as 20, took alot of extra clones this last round.

I think a 400w doesn't penetrate well so bigger plants won't produce much on the lower half. I think crowd them in and concentrate on getting as many buds on the canopy as possible is the way to go with a 400w lamp.

I usually take clones about a week before my plants go to flower. It takes appx 2 - 3 weeks in the bubbler for them all to root and then they veg till the next flower cycle, so about 6 - 7 weeks in veg under 4 40w T12s, so they don't get huge by any means.

I'm by no means an expert, these are just my observations over the last year of growing. So take my words with a grain of salt. :)

Latest posts

Back