A couple of clones old...beuatiful!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamtd

Growing Wild
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got a pick of a few clones a took about 10 day ago and a question. Of course!

Just some background. I have never in had a clone take, they have all died and this is like my fifth try. Anyways they have been under the humidity dome for about 10 days. They are under two 26w fluros. I have done them in rockwool and i am using cloneX gel. I took them out today and pulled the rock wool apart to see if anything was happening, and around the base of the stem it kinda looks like cauliflower? Does this mean it working. No actual roots yet though.

Oh and on a completely different topic. There is a photo of a finch that i found on my driveway, not looking to good. But i put him in my cat cage overnight with some food and water. Going to see how he is in the morning and release him if he's ok.

RIMG0362.JPG

RIMG0363.JPG

yes this meens they about to shoot...if ya place one in soil give a lite nute with "N" she will bust out those roots:aok: IMO...the cutt got air pocket...did ya cut under water? hope this helps..take cre and be safe

No i didn't cut under water. But i used all clean implements and went straight from gel to rockwool. I want to keep them out of soil if i can as they will be going into clay medium at some stage. But it will be another six or so weeks before i can so i might have to put into soil. And transplant.

You should make your final cur underwater. Otherwise it is very easy to get an air bubble in the stem and this prevents water from getting up the stem (kind of like a jet pump with air in the line). Do not open the rockwool up and disturb what is going on. Give your clones some time. I rarely ever see any roots before 10-14 days. Try to leave them undisturbed until you see roots coming out the bottom. What are your temps? Many people use a heating pad under the cloning tray.

My temps are 28C-34C. So 84F-90sF. I will cut underwater from now on. And i won't play with them anymore. Thanks HG.

They probably don't need that humidity dome after a few days. Sucks you are having problems cloning, maybe you are just mucking with them to much? I don't follow any of the "rules" when I clone and still am very successful. I chop the clones off with kitchen scissors that I don't clean, I don't second cut them under water, I don't scar the sides, I don't use rooting hormone, I do use rockwool, I don't use pH'd water, I do use tap water (the chlorines good at this stage if you ask me it kills the nasties).

All I do is soak the rockwool, cut the clone and shove it in the rockwool and forget about it for a few weeks. Make sure it stays moist (not wet) and ding ding ding, we have a winner.

those look so thirsty to me...I spray mine 5 x a day...

Sorry 4U but I don't agree with your giving them N. I feed them with a mild flowering nute, with a higher (p) value, phosphorus promotes root growth, not (N). once the cutting has rooted then you can add a good veg nute, but when you are trying to get roots, you need less N, and more P.

Also where you take your cuttings from the donor, also helps in getting roots. Rooting hormones are in higher consentrations at the bottom of the plant. So If you can take your cuts from the lowest areas avaliable.

I love rapid rooters...soak them in a mild flowering solution, cut, dip and stuff. They don't need alot of light. One of those floro bulbs would be enough. I spray the area that my clones are in, and the dome with a fine mist of plain ph'd water, I don't spray the cuttings themselves. I leave them sitting on a heating pad, with an aquarium thermometer in with them, so I can keep the temp btwn 75-80*

Some strains just clone easier than others. The mother also should be in good health.

I hope this helped....good luck!

Yeah it did thanks. Just need to keep trying till I get it down. I work long hours, so it's hard for me to care for them as I should. That said I think these guys will make it. I also have some seeds in some soil. Going to start my first outdoor grow. There is just something cool about the delayed gratification to outdoor grows.

I have just been looking at some DIY cloners. Going to put one together next week. Was just wondering what people think is better? The bubble cloners or the aero spray cloners. I kinda like the bubble idea better and it's cheaper but I want to go with what's better. Thanks again.

your clones seem wrinkled, i think you might be misting them way too much IMO you shouldnt mist the leaves too much especially with high temps. IME when i misted alot my clones looked much like yours, wrinkled leaves and bending like theyr gona die. inside a dome a slight misting that is 2 or 3 mists once every day is enough and if humidity is fine you might wana not mist at all. inside the dome the temps can be rising further and your temps are already high might be the main cause of you high actually perfect failure rate youv been having. of course other factors like not cutting under water or hygiene can lose you some clones but i, like Tact, have tried cloning carelessly without following rules and still had success and also saw a whole cloning tray die cuz of the temps.
i like the bubble cloner cuz it's simple effective and fool proof, i wont lose my clones if something goes wrong they always have the stem touching the water. cant say which cloning method is better since i only tried bubble cloning and oasis cube cloning, again both gave me very high rates of rooted clones when conditions were right.

I only mist the dome twice a day. In the morn and at night. I might try the bubble cloner than. It looks like it will only cost $20 to make.

your temps should be low.. room warm... from the bottom up...
light should be lit but not over powering... (low light)
medium should stay moist not soaked..
plant should be spritzed atleast 3 times a day... no reason to do more if you have a dome.. and temps arent high..simplae as that..man..
bubble cloner works good.. they stay happy very happy..
if you add some HYDROZYME and you will be laughing.

i agree. LF.. Nitrogen isnt the clones friend.. but the rapid rooter or root juice works great ... i have soaked my pellets or cubes in root juiced water and wow when roots start the explode...
take care play safe..
LF

Latest posts

Back