A.k.a. Greenybeanymeany Grow #2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that i may be repeating myself, but I find it not smart to limit your grow area just because you cannot buy a tent. A tent serves the plant no more than to make reflective walls and keep light out. You can do that in 1001 ways for much cheaper if you know what you're doing.

I know that i may be repeating myself, but I find it not smart to limit your grow area just because you cannot buy a tent. A tent serves the plant no more than to make reflective walls and keep light out. You can do that in 1001 ways for much cheaper if you know what you're doing.
I'm open to suggestions, if you have any. I wouldn't feel safe using cardboard though.

If I could find a perfect tent, I wouldn't even consider going another route. It's just more convenient to buy a tent.

If I could find a perfect tent, I wouldn't even consider going another route. It's just more convenient to buy a tent.

Especially when you're just starting and running out of time for more space as it is :aok:

i get it, a tent is far easier, but you are tight on budget. i made boxes with plywood many times, build a frame and close it with plywood. I used to place a black curtain over the doors from the outside. I finally resorted to thick wood for doors and shelves, cardboard for all the sectioning walls. I like it for the ease to cut in it, to paint it, and to glue it. I use an old metallic water pipe as my rail. If you are not a handy person with tools, I can imagine how such a job can turn into a nightmare. Back when I started, a grow tent was not common, and I didn't know better than drilling in a wall, and i spent a lot on diy. I totally get what DGF is saying, i am only saying that if you have no budget for a tent, with some effort, you can save a good sum. Think of how to build a frame for that space, and the rest is easy. you can also use drywall gypsum boards for cheap. if you have a 90degree corner already in the room, think of making a single pole for a diagonally opposite 90 degree angle, from that pole, you place 2 perpendicular walls to form a rectangular closed space... I know dgf is thinking "nooo" lol and i don't know your handyman capabilities so he may or may not be right... cheers to you and to DGF

i get it, a tent is far easier, but you are tight on budget. i made boxes with plywood many times, build a frame and close it with plywood. I used to place a black curtain over the doors from the outside. I finally resorted to thick wood for doors and shelves, cardboard for all the sectioning walls. I like it for the ease to cut in it, to paint it, and to glue it. I use an old metallic water pipe as my rail. If you are not a handy person with tools, I can imagine how such a job can turn into a nightmare. Back when I started, a grow tent was not common, and I didn't know better than drilling in a wall, and i spent a lot on diy. I totally get what DGF is saying, i am only saying that if you have no budget for a tent, with some effort, you can save a good sum. Think of how to build a frame for that space, and the rest is easy. you can also use drywall gypsum boards for cheap. if you have a 90degree corner already in the room, think of making a single pole for a diagonally opposite 90 degree angle, from that pole, you place 2 perpendicular walls to form a rectangular closed space... I know dgf is thinking "nooo" lol and i don't know your handyman capabilities so he may or may not be right... cheers to you and to DGF
Lol. Well I'm not super handy. Far from advanced. I'd say I'm still consider my self a beginner in that field. I'm sure I could pull it off. If I had the tools lol. I have the basic equipment at the moment. Hammer, nails, screwdrivers, Allen wrenches, and some other wrenches. No drill or any wood cutting device lol.

I'll be thinking into it though

with no wood cutting tool, you can go with dry wall. it is cut using a simple box cutter, and you can build a frame using the cheap galvanized iron that are specially made for gypsum board installation. it's basically, screw the metal to the wall, cut the boards to size, and screw them directly to the iron. it only gets hard when you want to build a ceiling because you would need a helping hand to hold the board, but for a simple wall, it's quite simple. you would still need the shears that cut the galvanized iron rods, hope this helps

with no wood cutting tool, you can go with dry wall. it is cut using a simple box cutter, and you can build a frame using the cheap galvanized iron that are specially made for gypsum board installation. it's basically, screw the metal to the wall, cut the boards to size, and screw them directly to the iron. it only gets hard when you want to build a ceiling because you would need a helping hand to hold the board, but for a simple wall, it's quite simple. you would still need the shears that cut the galvanized iron rods, hope this helps
That seems pretty genius,and fool proof. And I could either paint it white or line I with mylar. Which I would go the mylar route. The only things I could being tricky would ve hanging my light, getting it ready for vents and making a door. But I think doing a door would be fairly easy. Little door henges and cut to shape.

I don't think DGF could argue too much about dry wall. [emoji2] but I don't want to lose his help either lol.

Yes I can.. :rofl:

You're not going to lose my help, but I think you should get a tent for a plethora of reasons. ESPECIALLY if you're MOVING sometime ;)

on the contrary, building a proper lightproof door is the hard part lol. actually, i now use a ready made door with its frame. the devil is in the details and not in screwing a drywall. could you salvage an old door from scraps or so? cutting a vent in gypsum is easy. i would rather paint than mylar. a 1.5-2" pipe as a rail just make sure it's holding on something solid and not just gypsum. I don't know how this will go... when you're done with it, you either curse me with you white gypsum stained face or you thank me for the nice smooth idea LMAO I prefer the 2nd

I use cheap white shower curtains in the shed and they work great. I like the better air circulation than i could get in a tent and I had a hard time keeping the temp down..just my 2cents.

Yes I can.. :rofl:

You're not going to lose my help, but I think you should get a tent for a plethora of reasons. ESPECIALLY if you're MOVING sometime ;)
Lol. Somehow I knew that was gonna be the first thing you'd say. Just when I think you wouldn't disagree hahaha. I'm mostly wanting something temporary. If I could shell out the cash for the 2x2.5 from gorilla.

There may be a change of plans, a smarter one, on moving. Were probably gonna stay put and bandage up my credit and save for another year to put a down payment on a house and ditch renting entirely.

But I'd still rather keep it compact.

on the contrary, building a proper lightproof door is the hard part lol. actually, i now use a ready made door with its frame. the devil is in the details and not in screwing a drywall. could you salvage an old door from scraps or so? cutting a vent in gypsum is easy. i would rather paint than mylar. a 1.5-2" pipe as a rail just make sure it's holding on something solid and not just gypsum. I don't know how this will go... when you're done with it, you either curse me with you white gypsum stained face or you thank me for the nice smooth idea LMAO I prefer the 2nd
Lol. I may just give it a go. I didn't think into the light proof part. I was thinking some sort of black cloth and Velcro on the outside. But I'm not too sure how wrll that would work lol. I'll do some brainstorming and option weighing, along with a trip to the hardware store on my next day off, and then I will figure up some ideas on which route I will go(tent or box). If I go the box route it will be because of my confidence in all parts of the build, and to manage to keep it low key, and as far from ghetto as possible lol. I don't want anything that if stumbled upon wouldn't be a dead giveaway. Landlords don't really have any business in my house unless there is a problem( or reason and 24hr notice), and as much as I'd hate to, I would definitely do something about it in the 24 hr time.

But anyways. I'll keep notes of what I would need, and I'll look at my options. I'll probably go the mylar route, it would be easier to paint it for sure, but I'd rather put the extra work in to maximize reflectivity.

I use cheap white shower curtains in the shed and they work great. I like the better air circulation than i could get in a tent and I had a hard time keeping the temp down..just my 2cents.
I thought about using my shed. It would be perfect. A few pages back is a picture of some odd heating or cooling device that's already in there, and there is a thermostat in it. It makes me wonder what the landlords were using that shed for(they were the previous tenants).

But I'd be nervous about that for this simple reason of living in town, and on a busier street, that cops patrol frequently. I don't live in a bad town, but its a small town, and 1/4 of a mile down the road from where all the drugs are in this town lol.

Although my hours of operation, outside of work, would be 2am-10am so during the earlier points I would be pretty off the grid from neighbors and traffic.

That seems like it would be a great idea though. I imagine, if I did decide to use the shed, I would probably just stick a bigger tent inside it lol.

Fortunately, temps haven't even been a slight problem for me. The highest temp I've seen in the last week was around 75°, and that's without having a proper ventilation setup. I just have one of my tents breathe holes open and a small cheapo fan blowing hot air out the top. I'm loving this LED. My only downside on it is the distance it has to have.

schoolboy, i remembered you today as i was taking pics, check this out, the cfl hangers
Ah hah! You are the king of DIY lol! Thats pretty smart, I'd copy that idea if I didn't switch to LED lol. Maybe I'll borrow the idea later for another "early stage" box :D

Now for a brief update(I'll try hard to make it short)

Last night the distance between the tops and the light was 15", today, 14" looks like the transplant didn't slow her down any, and the extra nitrogen from the added Ocean Forest seems appreciated. Now, I see some burns on the new tips, I'm hoping that is just minor, but I'll be watching it to make sure. Cross your fingers, because I'm going to need more water jugs now. I have 2 & a half gallons on standby, and with the rule of thumb 3x the container size, I'm going to need quite a bit more water.

I also adjusted the light. I took a pic of how I rearranged the chain to give me extra room. I basically doubled up the each of the 4 chains, and I looped each chain around the nearest top support bar. I expected to gain 1-2" but I got 4" more:)

My tops are now 18" away. I have to say, the pressure is on for getting a tent or building a box quickly. If it continues growing at the rate of 1" per day, then I'm gonna be back in the same boat in 4 days.. I can feel the clock ticking..

Alright.. So much for keeping this short lol.

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1430471582848.jpg

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1430471630261.jpg

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1430471715932.jpg

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1430471730223.jpg

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1430471744272.jpg

i would worry more about the irregularities in leaf color, if it is a burn or a deficiency, it is not that mild as it might seem to you, if left unchecked, it can go downhill in no time.
you might want a cfl cloning chamber in winter when temps are low.

Latest posts

Back