Any Electicans Around. PEASE HELP!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Always Big Huge THANKS TO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will be sub contracting the ground bar pounding out to a big dum kid. I've used him for all kinds of silly heavy stuff in the past. He seems to remain clueless as to what I'm actually doing, nor does he seem to care. All he really cares about is that I pay him cash when he's done. Really nice kid but dum as rocks most of the time. He's perfect for times like this.
I'm just too messed up to be trying to mess with that kind of stuff in the first place!!!

OK..... So as long as I understand everything correctly I should have everything else wrapped up today and will post another photo shoot of everything by latter today or tomorrow.

Let me review just to make sure.

First, All of the grounds (copper wires) will go to the new aux. bus bar.

Second, All of the neutrals (white wires) will go to the panel bus ground bars. (Except on the 220 circuits. Where they actually just become a second hot)

Third, It does not matter at all where or what order the breakers are placed in the panel ?

Cool Beans!!!

Soaking the ground for ground bar installer.......check!!!
Get a piece of capped water pipe to put over it........check!!!
Pay kid to beat the crap out ground bars.......check!!!
Off to fix yesterdays @@@@ ups.......check!!!
No smokey until I'm done........check!!!

Peace MBT

sounds good ,

make sure you use romex connectors at the knockout holes in the boxes and the panel , and when you install the devices/plugs , make sure you wrap black tape around the pugs guarding the set screws from touching the metal boxes .

oh yeah ! you might want to put the ground rod clamp on the rod before you flare it out and cant get it on due to excessive pounding --- just tighten it down just below your contraption -- thats if the water trick dont work for ya

all in all i think your doing a great job .

Thanks Viper
Well It took me forever and I probably messed up anything that could be messed up. I made plenty of silly mistakes that I didn't bother to metion. But I'm pretty confident at this point that everything should work just fine, THANKS TO EVERYONES HELP!!! I'm ready to hook up power in the morning.
I CAN'T THANK EVERYONE ENOUGH!!! REALLY!!! I could not have done this w/o all the pointers. I'd likely take at least another month probably longer and I then likely have had to hire an electrician to help me. I feel so much better about flipping that main breaker.
I will post a bunch of pics and do my best to explain them first. I figure that the worst thing that could happen is that it will flip back off if I really messed something up. Like I said already I feel confident that everything will work just fine and I will at this time tomorrow have removed all of my extention cords to and from my room. SWEET!!!

OK enough blabbing lets get to the pics.

Sub Panel Electrical 031.jpg

Sub Panel Electrical 033.jpg

Sub Panel Electrical 034.jpg

Sub Panel Electrical 036.jpg

Sub Panel Electrical 039.jpg

Sub Panel Electrical 040.jpg

Sub Panel Electrical 044.jpg

Sub Panel Electrical 045.jpg

Pic #1
The ground rods, that sucker was a pain in the but, even for the kid but with the tricks offered by the pros and a healthy 225lb 19yr old, one is done.
And yes that sucker is 8ft long!!!
Pic #2
Grounds....re-done right!
Four grounds to the new aux. ground bus. Two neutrals to the sub panel ground bus.
Pic#3
Showing the four circuits comming into the box. The two yellow sheaths are 110 circuits and the two orange sheaths are 220 circuits.
Four copper grounds going to the new aux. bus ground. Two neutral grounds (white wires /110 circuits) going to the sub panel ground bar.
Six hots, four blacks, two whites going to the four breakers.
Pic #4
Not sure what I was trying to show here?
Pic #5
Showing the four hots (two whites and two blacks) going to 2/220 circuits on the left. And two black hot going to two 110 circuits on the right. Six hots all together
Pics # 6
Is just showing the four circuits comming into the box (same as pic #3)
Pic #7
Is showing the whole set up, minus the 30amp dryer outlet and the other 110 outlet box. I have been waiting to cut all power to the dryer outlet until everything else is done.
Pic #8
This is why. I have one light running off of it in my veg room. I will cut power to finnish those two boxes and then I will be done.
These girls are 38 days in veg and are ready to flip in the next few days. Gives me just enough time to set up and test everything. Almost like I planned it that way. WOW!!!

I will get more pics of the whole set up once I get everything cleaned up. I will also check back before I turn on power. Just to make sure that I did not miss anything silly. I'm pretty darn sure that everything is a go.
I rushed the pics a bit and I hope I explained them so that you boys can see and understand what I got going on here.
If I missed something or need to give more info or pics just let me know!!!

Thanks Again To Everyone!!!

Peace MBT

Well Viper
You were definately right about putting tape around those knock outs. First breaker that I flipped arked out on the box at the knock out.......(I over tightened it and bit into the hot wire) Sparks smoke ......and a very load bang! Sounded like a shotgun. LOL
I can laugh about it now but when it happened it sure scared the living crap out of me. I quickly replaced the wire and checked the rest of them to make sure that I had not done the same thing to them. That 10/3 wire is thick enough that you just can't over tighten those knock out screws. Lesson learned!!!
I have actually gotten alot quicker at replacing wires since I started this little project.......LOL
After replacing the wire and double checking everything for the 100th time I finnally got up enough nerve to try again. And it's all working great!!!!! No more power cords. AND IT'S SAFE!!!
Big Special Thanks to both bwananabud and viper, you guys were both a blessing and I can't thank you both enough!!!!
I'll be sure to go back over this thread to make sure I thanked everyone that posted here, and to make sure that I added to their rep and all that good stuff. I'll post more pics once I get some rest and get everything cleaned up.
I can't believe I actually did it? I have always been one of those guys that has someone else do this kind of stuff until now.
Sorry mr bud connect(s) I don't pay for weed ANYMORE!!! LOL
Thanks Again!!!
Peace MBT

whoohoo - good job man , your welcome and glad to see you up and running

now tell us what strain you got growin .

It's not right. It will work, but it's a hazard. 220 is 2 hots (the black and the red wire) a nuetral (the white wire) and the ground wire. You cut the red wire off and capped it, it should be your hot and the big white is used for a neutral. Using the unshielded ground wire as your nuetral on a high amp load 220 amp circuit is a major no no.

I think I see another major nono. The wire that feeds electricity into that box DOES NOT FEED INTO A BREAKER!!! It is attached to the main buss bars where the two lugs are. Use the red and the black, then attach the white to the main lug on the nuetral buss bar. You are feeding voltage backwards through the breaker and into the buss, bassackwards!:holysheep:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=154830&d=1267766289 See the big lugs? Two are the hots, and the big lug on the nuetral buss bar is for the white. That's what the incoming wire feed attaches to from a breaker in the main panel. Then you run 220 and 110 off the breakers to your outlets and devices. And use the red as a hot. The white is a big wire and insulated just like the red and the black, it needs to be capable of the higher amps without getting hot. That dinky unshilded ground wire will get hot and it's possible that it will short out seeing how it is contacting other ground wires whilst being a nuetral. I can't tell you any more except that what you have now is a fire hazzard.

hey sherwood how goes it bro ,,,

he does have it wired like it suppose to be ,, he just didnt put the pic up cause he still had the sub feed connected to the 3 hole dryer plug that he started with ,,,, if you look at page 2 in the main panel where he has the 60 amp sub feed breaker wired properly and in the sub panel , he did the same sept he used the main lugs ,,,,,,,,,,,,, and for a 3 hole dryer plug or any 3 hole 220 plug does not require a neutral it requires a ground and he just used the white wire instead of the red .

Ok cool, he has the incoming feed done right then. I know what you mean about the 3 wire plugs,woo, see what a few good bong tokes does to a guy.:joint: Fun room, nice to see a big grow.

It's so he has several conveenient(sp?) places to take juice from, code is nice but I doubt he will be calling an inspector to get the job sighned off.:D I'm surprised to see the need for 20 amp 220 volt outlets, it's not a very commonly used plug. I guess the ballasts are 20 amp 220 units. A european plug won't go into any of those outlets though because the verticle blade is on th opposite side of the plug. I used to have foreign tourists come to me and ask for some way to use their electric razors or chargers or whatever and they would bring me the adapter we sold for US citizens going abroad to use, only they wanted the opposite! I used to tell them, you should have bought that at the hardare store in your country. Sorry, I hijacked this thread llong enough.

Whoa. I just chimed back in. Very nice electrical work. I need help in this area. Its the one thing I really just cannot do yet. I can see your pics and visualize walking into the Depot and getting everything.

Looks like I should have checked back over here sooner. Sherwood on post 52your link to the sub panel hook up pic is exactly how I have it hooked up with the only exception being that the jumper is not connected and that I have a Homeline box.
As for the plug outlets, they are standard 220/20 amp plugs that come on all new switchable electronic ballast that I have seen, Galalxy, Lumatex, Future Brite. As for the inspection... yes, I will be skipping that little detail on this job....LOL. But I'm pretty darn sure that it would pass. I recently went to a new house that had just had a large shop wirred in. Just to see how they had wirred in the sub panel and it all looked very simular, as far as I could see??? Thanks Again to viper and bwanabud!!!!!

nouvellechef Thanks man!!!
I would highly recomend using these boys if you are trying to do it yourself!!! Like bwanabud said someplace back at the beginning of this thread...."you don't want to burn down the house" I still laugh when I write that!!! But really it's not that funny? Maybe that's why I think it so funny???
While dealing with Home Depot I told them that I was wirring a sub panel in a shop and they were great help as well.
Good luck and be safe!!!

Peace MBT

PS viper..... I just started a grow journal, you can see what strains I've got going on. It's under "Night Shadow"
Thanks Again!!!

Sorry about that, I was high as hell when I was pouring over those pics!:D And btw, I'm glad you showed the inside of that switch timer box, I am going to build one just like it. I saw they wanted like 3 bills for one on one site, and I can build it for around 100 judging from your pics.

Hi Sherwood
No problem!!! Happens to me all the time......LOL!!!
I totally here you on building a timer box vrs paying for one. I bet that you can build the very same thing for even less than 100 bills. That switch is the only part that you might have to search around for, but I'm sure that you can order it.
I thought the very same thing as soon as I opened that thing up. I highly recomend building one vrs. buying one. There is just not that much to it!!! I bought it with my whole set up as a package deal and at the time I thought that it would act as a sub panel, which it does, but not in the way that I thought it would.
If you need a parts # off of that switch I'd be happy to get it off of it for you. Good luck!!!

Peace MBT

mikeybtoken said:
If you need a parts # off of that switch I'd be happy to get it off of it for you.

Peace MBT
Siemens 42BF15AF contactor $31.95:)

Latest posts

Back