bag bean Grow Bag 2. Bubble gum Yum. Attempt 2.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houseoftreasure

...we know our pleasure.
Reaction score
Ok. So the title should tell you the rest of what you need to know.

This is attempt 2 out of our bubble gum yum bag seed. Out of a half Ounce of bag, we aquired something in the neighborhood of 2-3 dozen seeds. We acknowledge that we are propably dealing with hermies. but, we still have not managed full term growth out of ANY of our seeds. We do not get many, usually. This was a different supply for the purpose of aquiring seeds. We are currently using a 40 watt aquarium plant light to get it started. We have "on order" a lighting system, as yet undetermined what type beyond HPS. Leftovers from a friend who will hook us up with what he is not using. expecting this in a couple weeks or less.

We at present have no questions on it. Just sharing our journal.

The intent of this grow is not necessarily to gain the greatest harvest, but just to prove that we can actually get a plant to grow from a seed and live all the way to grown up. This will be much encouragement for both of us, but mainly myself, the green thumb, who has never had a problem growing anything but cactus. (I just can't seem to neglect them enough.)

We will keep all posted with pics and updates. Wish us luck. I realize these pictures suck, but how do you take quality pics of a seed, since it's only a 3 mpx camera.

PICT0005.JPG

PICT0004.JPG

PICT0003.JPG

Good luck! Are you germinating on a damp sponge? Never saw that before. Do you keep it in the dark? I would think the top half of the seeds would dry out?

Actually, what I did was slice a shallow slit into the sponge, then put the seeds in some of the little holes. They sat in there perfect, and didn't need light. Took about two days before I saw a root, 3 before they were ready to plant, and the sponge stayed nice and damp.

-HoT

Just adding pics of our soil type. Organic. With a few of the important info, such as cost and what's in it.

It seems we are growing hermies. We NOW know we will get more hermies. But hey, a free seed is a free seed, well it weren't really free now were it, it were really a deduction of the the weight we paid for. Oh well. Was tastey, but for now we are just happy they are sprouting.

We will continually update. We are attempting different seedling methods.

As you see, we are trying one of the recomendations with the bottom up watering 2 litre bottle starter. The soil seems to stay VERY wet. Don't know yet if this will create problems or not, as we WILL be pulling the process and NOT doing this with a more mature plant. Well, I am guessing this will be the thing we do. We have several beans and are trying different processes. We also have four beans dropped in the dirt out back. Just going to let those do thier own thing. Will post pics as progress developes.

We are thinking we will do the first batch all organic. with out too much interference from us. We dropped the bottle bean about an inch or so under soil. The planters pot, is a little bit less than an inch under. We have as yet seen any thing come through the top of the soil in ANY of them, but it is still VERY early.

We are VERY excited. Even though we are almost certain they will all be hermies, it's all in the name of reasearch and developement. We will grow these and then see if we can get a hold of a ***** (sounds like witch) with bite. Wouldn't that be nice?

To Those Who Know, Thanx for ALL the fish.

PICT0008.JPG

PICT0010.JPG

PICT0009.JPG

PICT0011.JPG

OK... Ground piercing. We have sproutage! the bottom up atterer wins the first to arrive prize and will post the pics. So now we start our counting.

PICT0013.JPG

PICT0018.JPG

PICT0015.JPG

Working on picture qua;ity, but aint they somehing... They Live! So, be assured, I aint doing much with them.
_him

Copy of PICT0021.JPG

Copy of PICT0020.JPG

Copy of PICT0019.JPG

Our planties are a month old now, and they are barely starting to sprout other leaves, but we are just thrilled they are still alive. We haven't picked up the lighting system yet, due to financial difficulties, such as expiring plates on the vehicle. Up until now has lived past week 2, so this is a real treat. Further, our new little friends had to be moved from the primary sunny window of the house due to entirely too many houseguests and exposure to the common public area.
The 2-liter bottle grow we learned from the site here is proving to be a bit of a flop. The water is entirely impossible to keep regulated. The plant has been getting entirely too much water this way. I've decided from now on to top water it, and let it dry out really, really good before I do that. The other plant we started in regular soil had a mishap with the dogs. I believe they knocked the pot out of the window then decided since it was on the floor, it belonged to the dogs. We came home to find that one MIA.
We do have another plant, leftover from a moved out roommate. It was struggling along, laying in it's dirt. _him picked it up and repotted it. We were afraid the depression had progressed too far, but it seems to have given up trying to commit suicide, and is making a valiant effort to live. It's at least two weeks older than the pop bottle grow, but they are about the same size.
Here's some pics. No laughing. :D We get it...they aren't ever going to produce smokabilia. Our goal is to produce a live, viable plant to prove we can do it.
I'm actually starting to hope that we might get that.
Cheers.
-Love

PICT0029.JPG

PICT0027.JPG

nice little plants you got there!
i bet there begging to be put under lights!
have you thought of how you want to grow them,
ie lights set up, nutes vents etc?
i have grown on my window sill years ago,
worked out ok 5foot plants, but not a great yeild,although i dont get great weather where i live!

Naw, we are just growing them to prove we can actually get adult plants from seeds. So far, we're plant serial killers, or maybe mass murderers. Either way you look at it, we are awfully thrilled they are still alive after 30 whole days! Woo-hoo!!

-Love

the one in the clear pot... i could be wrong but that could expose the roots to light, you made need to cover that one with some duct tape or black plastic

em... that is the pop bottle waterer. We are letting that grow till we see some roots then we will re pot or plant out doors. Again with both of our surviviors we are NOT expecting final "product". We only hope to let them live to adult hood. Once we can make this happen we will then do a "proper" grow. We were anticipating purchase of a 400-600 w HPS lighting system last week. It has been postponed per fiscal responsibility. Much "higher" priorities...LOL. Any way, thanks for visiting, and we hope to set up the lights in yet another month from now. (x-ing fingers)
_him

hey h, o, t ,

roots can die when exposed to light so it may not make adult hood ,,,but i would love you to prove the theory wrong :rolleyes:

:peace: :48: :peace:

Uk, thanks for the tip, we aren't expecting much out these... were hoping to have the lights up and running before these got this far, but it is still too cold to put them outside. what can you do? We have no access to larger pots for THESE plants but will cannibalize when the time comes for a better prepared grow. As yet, the growing of these babies is still as a planned loss, and mostly crossing fingers that there may be just enough of an education process to learn the specific pitfalls we will encounter in THIS location. We are looking organic dirt grow and testing many variables with this grow. trying to establish OUR barriers and hurdles. Once these have been identified, we believe our first, FOR PRODUCT grow will be considerably more effective.
We seem to have a/couple mold issue/s to overcome.

One is in the soil we are using. The soil does seem to mold IF left too wet. In the plants we are using that do not get as much water, the soil does not show this tendancy. Must be a watering lesson.

The other, is a bigger concern. It appears it is in the building. Not my building. Not paying owners to fix. Thinking will attempt to seal with judicious use of plastic sheating in the nearly ready grow space. Any one know, will painters tarp plastic 6 mil, be sufficient? a couple/few layers? am thinking clear. then layer with al foil for reflectivity. Milar is expensive, and we are poor. Who aint?

_him

Hey hot,

If you want to find a cheap source for mylar look no further than any first aid saftey blanket. Made from 100% mylar and super cheap. You don't want to do foil as it will create hot spots in your grow area.

brilliant plan! Thanks for tip LordHigh flying cow thingy. I just cant look at your avatar and not chuckle.

I just read the What Not To Do!!!!!!!! thread, and thought I should mention, with the al foil I was referring to earlier, it was my intention to convey a strip of al foil layer at the low end of the walls to increase reflectivity from the bottom only, not the whole wall. But that thread idea looked like it was "bad" from begining to end.

ALL deceased. I blame the dogs. We moved the two remainders out doors as well as a couple of new starts and placed them in the back of our kitchen garden. In the only spot the dogs could crawl under the fence. It took only a couple of tries at crawling under for the dogs to demolish what we had started so we are off to new grow attempts. We have two starters already going and a couple white seeds left out of our bag beans from bubble gum yum. Total loss on this project, a recon I was too involved. Next time I leave it ALL to Love.

We still have not secured these lights we were anticipating months ago, but now have a new line on some and expect delivery in three weeks. This is a used system, salvaged from a friends large grow gone defunct. It will be either 400 or 650 hps I am told and the hood has the air cooling system included with additional ventilation. Here's hoping.

sorry to hear that houseoftreasure. But as long as you learned something from it than you came away on top!

We learned bunches about what it will take to grow in our home, and hope that next time we remember to block the bloody fence hole! LOL! And we aslo learned... water from the bottom up pop bottle waterer thingy... VERY NOT GOOD for pot.

So now we search for more seeds.

Latest posts

Back