bagseed closet grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Localfan420

Reaction score
i have 1-2 inch seedlings in a 3 x 3 x 8 foot enclosure using a 40 watt (3,000 lumen) 48" flourescent and (1) 26 watt (1,700 lumen) CFL currently shining on them nice and close (4-6 inches from bulb)

when they are vegging 18+ hours per day i would like to eventually stand the 48" light vertically and rotate my plant every day with gradually adding more CFL's hanging overhead once in a 12/12 cycle

maybe 4 cfls (6,800 lumens total overhead)
and 3,000 lumens throughout the entire plant (48" light)

would keeping the light in one corner and rotating the plant everyday ruin flowering?

..flo tubes are next to worthless, if located more than 6 inches from the plant...IMO
3X3 is 9 sq ft. You need....at "minimum".. 30,000 Lumens . (or 4X what you're suggesting)
How many cfls is that? I refuse to do the math, when 1 single 400 watt hid is more efficient, less expensive, and will give you the resi;ts you desire.

:yeahthat:

yeah dude your gonna end up spending more going with all different types of bulbs and cfl's. just make it easier on yourself. buy a hps light with a metal halide conversion bulb and all you have to do is change the bulb out once during the grow. no stretching of the plants and adding new hardware and bulbs as you go. i just came from a similar setup to an hid setup. go ahead make the plunge

Localfan420 said:
i have 1-2 inch seedlings in a 3 x 3 x 8 foot enclosure using a 40 watt (3,000 lumen) 48" flourescent and (1) 26 watt (1,700 lumen) CFL currently shining on them nice and close (4-6 inches from bulb)

when they are vegging 18+ hours per day i would like to eventually stand the 48" light vertically and rotate my plant every day with gradually adding more CFL's hanging overhead once in a 12/12 cycle

maybe 4 cfls (6,800 lumens total overhead)
and 3,000 lumens throughout the entire plant (48" light)

would keeping the light in one corner and rotating the plant everyday ruin flowering?

You need at least a 4ft 6tube T5 setup (Almost 30,000 lumens)
YA need at least 5000 lumens per sf of grow are.:rolleyes:

I made the same mistake in the beginning. I purchased on ebay a 4' T5 unit that came with 4 bulbs. When it was time to flower, I was planning to purchase 4 more T5 3000K bulb at $20 each. I did the math for my 4x2x50 room with 4 plants. The T5 worked well doing the veg phase, but I notice that my plants were not as big as some I have seen under HPS.

Don't waste time and money, if you want maxium results and can vent the heat from the area, then go with a 400w HPS system.

You can get a 400w digital system from HTG for $230 with both MH and HPS bulbs for both veg and flowering phase. I got this system, but upgraded hood with a venting hood for $240. My room temperture is around 83 maxium, which is the same as with the T5s. All is well with the system.

Oh, one other thing, the lighting system is smaller compared to the T5. Now I can check the plants without moving the lights.

or you can get a 400w HPS from Inside Sun dot com for like $100

Look around my friend for a hps it doesnt have to be a 400w,a 150 will do the job,you will get better results with a 400/1000w but it is so worth the initial expense considering the larger/better quality bud results in the end.I wouldnt even bother considering flowering under cfl's.They just dont have the balls to do the job imo.

Berttieboo said:
Look around my friend for a hps it doesnt have to be a 400w,a 150 will do the job,you will get better results with a 400/1000w but it is so worth the initial expense considering the larger/better quality bud results in the end.I wouldnt even bother considering flowering under cfl's.They just dont have the balls to do the job imo.

a 150 hps emits around 16000 lumens...or "again" about 1/3 of the recommended....

Hick said:
a 150 hps emits around 16000 lumens...or "again" about 1/3 of the recommended....
Sorry, my mistake, didnt pay attention to the size of his room.
9 sq ft with a 150hps =1777lumens sq ft ( not enough )
400hps =6111 " " ( ideal )
Thanks Hick

Latest posts

Back