California's Cannabis Market Crashes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was one (also retired,disabled) that didn't want it legal for recreational (yes I argued with myself for decades on this subject) but only for medical because it don't take a rocket scientist to figure out what happens when it is legal, but no-one goes to jail or fined if caught

I posted this shit years ago on Cannabis World (miss that place)

I was one (also retired,disabled) that didn't want it legal for recreational (yes I argued with myself for decades on this subject) but only for medical because it don't take a rocket scientist to figure out what happens when it is legal, but no-one goes to jail or fined if caught

I posted this shit years ago on Cannabis World (miss that place)

were you piper at CW?

did you migrate to CW 2 when things went sour?

I'm also in the communist state of NY :( I haved lived in England for while also, I have 5 kids, 16-17 grandchildren, 2 of my kids and their kids live here, everyone else is in England :)

thats my life story

my wife HATES weed :)

Last edited:
were you piper at CW?

did you migrate to CW 2 when things went sour?
I was bongmaster at first, changed to piper in honour of my grandfather who gave me that nickname when I was 5, I always stole his pipe (not cannabis), he always called me piper when he died at 102 I requested a name change and it was honored

There’s another one or two over there I feel the same way about, and it was made publicly known they return the sentiments…

Same In Michigan. I always said the only reason Marijuana was starting down a path of legalization was because as with everything else, the rich figured out a way to capitalize on it(and they alone). Legalization was nothing like I think many of us believed it would be like. For one, most of us did it as outlaws way longer than that did it within the law, and I think most believed we would become the people with the shops and vending booths, farmers markets , growing it like Rose Bushes...but government regulations took care of that for us. Plus you know how many people started growing? I ran into so much Larf garbage and motherf.uckers were dropping thier pants to get their Larf sold it kept driving down the price, I was like "WHAT THE HELL ARE DOING??, YOU'RE SHOOTING US IN THE FOOT!"

In Michigan you gotta be pretty wealthy to take advantage of the legal end of things. I was actually appalled when I read the pending law and actually voted against it. All the years I wanted weed to be legal, all the years of peeking out windows when I would here car doors slamming outside..lol and I voted NO! The government will always find a way of screwing us I swear to God.

Same In Michigan. I always said the only reason Marijuana was starting down a path of legalization was because as with everything else, the rich figured out a way to capitalize on it(and they alone). Legalization was nothing like I think many of us believed it would be like. For one, most of us did it as outlaws way longer than that did it within the law, and I think most believed we would become the people with the shops and vending booths, farmers markets , growing it like Rose Bushes...but government regulations took care of that for us. Plus you know how many people started growing? I ran into so much Larf garbage and motherf.uckers were dropping thier pants to get their Larf sold it kept driving down the price, I was like "WHAT THE HELL ARE DOING??, YOU'RE SHOOTING US IN THE FOOT!"

In Michigan you gotta be pretty wealthy to take advantage of the legal end of things. I was actually appalled when I read the pending law and actually voted against it. All the years I wanted weed to be legal, all the years of peeking out windows when I would here car doors slamming outside..lol and I voted NO! The government will always find a way of screwing us I swear to God.
I was fooled here in Massachusetts. I thought I could turn my hobby into a little side gig. Then the Cannabis Control Commission got a hold of regulation and more importantly, fees/taxation. When I first looked into it, it looked like you needed at least $1M of working capital to adhere to all the rules for growing. Then it took the state 2 years after we voted to legalize it to open the first dispensary and at the time, there were very few growers who were pumping out quantity to supply the dispensaries. Lines were literally around the block. Those that opened first made bank. Then the flood gates opened up and there are currently 5 dispensaries within 5 minutes of my house and the parking lots are always empty. I visited one and only one dispensary just to experience it. I walked out with an eighth and a pre-roll for $80 after taxes. It was nothing special either. Fk that sh!t. I keep on growing my own and I am happy I don’t need to be as paranoid about getting pinched. I still worry about someone ripping my plants but that is another of societal ills altogether.

If all legal restrictions and enhanced taxation were dropped, it would be sold at Walmart next to the cheap wine aisle, or maybe next to the ibuprofen. I feel for the sellers who made their careers growing and selling while it was illegal. It takes great courage to stand against leviathan.

But I'm also laughing at the complete incompetence of government regulators who believed they could control the market and rake in huge tax revenues indefinitely. They believed it would be like tobacco or beer and allowing limited private growing wouldn't end in massive over supply.

They were wrong, and now there is a cheap supply of safe meds completely out of the hands of big pharma. And it's still illegal, since most of us grow well beyond the limits set by regulators. I couldn't be happier about it.

I keep on growing my own and I am happy I don’t need to be as paranoid about getting pinched. I still worry about someone ripping my plants but that is another of societal ills altogether.
Spoken like a true weed connoisseur. I could give two shits less about making money selling weed. The fact that I can sit out in my front yard and wave at a cop while indulging in my favorite herb means a lot more to me. In Michigan, John Sinclair did 10 long for possession of two joints. Now, I can drive down the highway with 2.5 ozs in my van and not bat an eye if I get pulled over.

I was fooled here in Massachusetts. I thought I could turn my hobby into a little side gig. Then the Cannabis Control Commission got a hold of regulation and more importantly, fees/taxation. When I first looked into it, it looked like you needed at least $1M of working capital to adhere to all the rules for growing. Then it took the state 2 years after we voted to legalize it to open the first dispensary and at the time, there were very few growers who were pumping out quantity to supply the dispensaries. Lines were literally around the block. Those that opened first made bank. Then the flood gates opened up and there are currently 5 dispensaries within 5 minutes of my house and the parking lots are always empty. I visited one and only one dispensary just to experience it. I walked out with an eighth and a pre-roll for $80 after taxes. It was nothing special either. Fk that sh!t. I keep on growing my own and I am happy I don’t need to be as paranoid about getting pinched. I still worry about someone ripping my plants but that is another of societal ills altogether.

one of the reasons why oklahoma blew up and sales have been through the roof is because the licenses were so cheap

i think if an applicant passed the background check , the lisense was like $1800.00 bucks and one could buy as many as they want

i dont know if those same rules apply today

i think california taxed itself right out of the game

For those of you who complain about how poorly the government has handled it... would you prefer prohibition and risking decades in prison? Would you prefer the poor bastards who got released post-legalization go back to prison for years so you can make a little money?

Did you expect it to go from completely illegal to perfectly regulated in a single decade, did you forget that if the conservative politicians had their way, we'd all be doing life in prison? How are you complaining? It's a massive improvement for 90% of growers and smokers, at least.

The only people complaining are people who see weed as profit before pleasure. Hard to feel bad for the greedy, who commidify such a beautiful plant. If anyone promised you that an illegal hustle would entitle you to a life-long, stable career, find new mentor. It may not be fair, but really, what did you expect, living under prohibition was living under borrowed time, always.

Yeah, it sucks they stole the industry after so many good people put in so much hard work, but what's the alternative? Prison for 75% of us so the other 25% get rich, while we wait endlessly for the "perfect bill"?,

How did you see this ending- the elite ruling class saying "nah, we don't want that money, we are legalizing because it's ethically sound" ? It's a realistic compromise, and there was never any other possibility, unfortunately.

Last edited:
I'm also in the communist state of NY :( I haved lived in England for while also, I have 5 kids, 16-17 grandchildren, 2 of my kids and their kids live here, everyone else is in England :)

thats my life story

my wife HATES weed :)
I live in New York too Comrade !

Latest posts

Back