can i use same soil over and over?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red_ss

Reaction score
Guys is it ok to use same soil from old (choped plants) for new start ?

Thanks

Sure it is. Plenty of people do. Think of your soil as a medium whose only purpose is to keep your plant upright, like perlite or hydroton.

Make sure you flush your old soil really well. I add about 25% fresh compost and a wee bit of maerl to recondition it.

I use mine time and again. i just set it out back and flush it out a few times to get the salts out and then add a 3 Lb bag-o-poo to it with some lime and half bag of MG potting soil.

Hydro said:
no it isn't ok

I strongly disagree. Theres a pretty good thread on reusing soil.

I think its called screwdrivers reused soil thread...search it;)

I reuse mine. It does need a good flush to rid the high PK content. A soil is only the medium used to support the plant so it's roots can get the nutes out of it.

What about the soil goes bad? The inert stuff just stays there, the organics are amended every new grow when setting a seedling. Then it's fed some nutes through the grow. So why is it bad to re-use it? I can't figger it out.

I also re-use soil. I flush it out real well and mix it 50/50 with fresh pro mix and have great results. That saves me a LOT of potting soil. Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe.

I just throw all that stuff in my buckets and add some stuff and reuse my soil. I guess at all the nutes and stuff. I try not to act on my over thinking on whats best. My thread may say it better.
It may not be better than hydro, new soil, fancy FFOF, but you can reuse your soil over, and over, and over.:)

On my current grow I reused my soil on four plants and two of them ended up with multiple magnesium deficencies. Not really sure if it was the soil but I was thinking that was the reason. But now that I see how many people reuse thier soil Im thinking it might have been something else. I guess next time I should flush it.

"I" prefer not to "re-use" soil. IMHO, it simply isn't THAT expensive to replace and insure that my plants recieve all of the benefits of fresh clean, nutrient rich medium.
$3-$4 p/ bucket, and it lasts for 4+ months.... cheap enuff!

I do 'recycle' it in the flower.veggie garden OD.

Thank you guys ididnt know that untill know. i always throw the old soil and i think its a waiste, of course as some brothers says its better to start with fresh soil, but if its dont hurt that much to reuse soil i think ill try it my self

Thank you every one

main problem with reusing soil is the pests and other dieases.

if you had gnats and god forbid MITES, reusing your soil most likely
mean you will have them again. but worse.

And other stuff like plant dieases..

Latest posts

Back